Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-12-2010, 06:03 AM   #1

Typical lifetime of a stock dual-mass flywheel?

Hi there, I started hearing a rattle when I engage my clutch on my 2003 Boxster S and I've been told that my DMF is falling apart. I was wondering if anyone has compiled any statistics on how long does a flywheel usually last until it eventually needs replacement.

Since my ride has less than 55K miles on it I thought it's a bit early for the flywheel to croak on me. I'm the original owner of the vehicle and you can assume that I know how to properly drive standard. The car is a daily driver with moderate use, no track time, and occasionally I take her out into the mountains for a spirited spin, but generally the engine and transmission is never too "stressed".

Any help here would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
- Keith

klavatar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 09:17 AM   #2

Like other wear items, useful life of the DMF depends heavily on how the car is used/driven. I can't offer statistics, but I can offer my own experience as a data point.

I just replaced my car's DMF as part of a clutch job at 105K miles. It was worn -- more rotational play than the new part -- but still well within spec and would provide many more miles of service. My car was mostly freeway driven for it's first 90K miles, so the DMF had an easy life.

BTW, how can one be sure a rattle is due to the DMF without taking things apart? Have you replaced your front engine mount? -- those can rattle too when they fail.
Lucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 06:48 PM   #3

When my original clutch was changed at 70k, the mechanic said the flywheel looked iffy so I changed it. Given the overall cost of the job I didn't see the point in "saving" $450 on the flywheel, figuring it would come back to bite me sometime soon and cost 3x as much.

If you're still on the original clutch and you're sure the flywheel is going (get a 2nd opinion?), then dig in and do it right: clutch kit, flywheel, rear main seal, and IMS bearing retrofit. A pricey job to be sure, but I sleep A LOT better at night knowing the IMSR has been done... and the clutch is 110% better than it was, so sweet.
gschotland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 01:06 PM   #4

..... also an '03S. @ 30k, my DMF was shot - not the disc itself, but the silicone? or gel pack that acts as a damper wasn't working anymore and the disc wouldn't spring back after turning slightly. I was in for the IMS retrofit and we noticed the DMF issue - so, I went lightweight flywheel with Sachs 6 spring clutch.

good luck,

kj
Boxster44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 02:47 PM   #5

i replaced mine when i did my clutch at like 125k miles. yes, original clutch, yes original flywheel, and yes, i race the car.

there were some hot spots on the friction surface, but the elastomer was still in decent shape.

http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t...1/KMTGPR-1.jpg
insite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 10:51 AM   #6
Crazy Austrian

Garage
I bought my 04 S with 23k on it and it had a rattle which turned out to be the DMF, luckily I still had 1 day of warranty on the car.. sometimes you luck out. they replaced the flywheel free and put the old clutch back in without telling me. replaced the cluth 8k later. oh well . I guess you never know. :ah:

harryrcb is offline   Reply With Quote