Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-19-2005, 06:33 PM   #1

perfect rpm's

i'm a brand new used boxster owner. i have a '97 boxster with 13,500 miles on it. what is the optimal range to run the rpm's at.

i've been told that boxster's like to run at between 3,000-4000 rpm. it sounds high to me.

thanks for the input.

bruce

bmyslis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2005, 06:58 PM   #2

Garage
Cool

In my opinion that's true for normal cruising, however the fun starts north of the 4,500 rpm's when the changeover starts....then you'll feel those ponies pull you away from the pack...fun fun fun!!!
Pablito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2005, 06:15 AM   #3

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmyslis
i'm a brand new used boxster owner. i have a '97 boxster with 13,500 miles on it. what is the optimal range to run the rpm's at.

i've been told that boxster's like to run at between 3,000-4000 rpm. it sounds high to me.

thanks for the input.

bruce
On that engine, that is about right for normal driving.

The S can be happier down low.

More torque.
Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2005, 11:29 AM   #4

I believe the red-line on 2.5L's is 6,800rpm. As mentioned earlier, the cam switch is at about 5,000 rpm so far maximum accleration you would want to stay in between these two parameters. If you are just cruising on the highway just stick it in 5th unless you need to downshift to pass or something.
Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2005, 05:45 AM   #5

While were talking about perfect RPM's... What do you think the perfect launch RPM's on a 986 would be? Mine is the 2.7 but I'm assuming they'd all be pretty close.
But what is so important about driving faster than anyone else?
Lots of people go through life doing things badly. Racing's important to men who do it well.
When you're racing, it's life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting.
Porschekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2005, 06:53 AM   #6

I launch my S the following way. Hold revs at right around 3k rpm. Little less than that if the surface isn't high traction or I'll get to much wheel spin. I then basically let out the clutch very fast, almost like a dump and floor the gas. This usually results in slight wheel spin and a fairly quick launch without bog. A harder launch can be had by holding the revs higher say around 4-5k rpm and feathering the clutch out more slowly but this will result in more clutch wear so I stick to the first method. Since you're dealing with slightly less hp/Tq your launch method will differ slightly but this should give you a starting point.
Old 04-25-2005, 07:04 AM   #7

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porschekid
While were talking about perfect RPM's... What do you think the perfect launch RPM's on a 986 would be? Mine is the 2.7 but I'm assuming they'd all be pretty close.

You talking about lauch in as in Maximum acceleration or just around town driving?
Old 04-25-2005, 07:11 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucelee
You talking about lauch in as in Maximum acceleration or just around town driving?
Acceleration. I've yet to race anyone in my box, but if a cocky s2k owner started revving at me I may hafta give er a go...
But what is so important about driving faster than anyone else?
Lots of people go through life doing things badly. Racing's important to men who do it well.
When you're racing, it's life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting.
Porschekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2005, 07:35 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porschekid
Acceleration. I've yet to race anyone in my box, but if a cocky s2k owner started revving at me I may hafta give er a go...
I would do some safe expermentation. It should only take a few gos at this to figure where YOUR car seems happiest!

Good luck and drive safely.

Old 04-25-2005, 08:56 AM   #10

I definately agree. Practice makes perfect. You are going to need to outdrive the s2k owner in order to beat him with a 2.7L and if you have never launched your car before I highly doubt you would win. Go out there and represent! lol
Old 04-25-2005, 01:04 PM   #11
Lux

I agree with Adam on the lauch rpms. Ideally, 4.5K lauch but that takes a toll on your clutch as well as possible damage resulting from wheel hop. 3K lauches seem to be perfect for the streets around here. Great hookup (do it right and your head *will* snap back) with no wheel hop...just a nice, snappy acceleration.

Most people can't lauch their cars right so if you perfect this, you'll be able to dust off quite a bit of "higher horsepower" cars. Especially an S2K. Their 0-60 is 5.5 seconds...but that's with a 6-7K clutch dump. Their 5-60mph, as tested by Car and Driver, is something like 7.5 seconds due to their torqueless motor. For comparision, a Boxster S does 0-60 in 5.2 seconds and 5-60 in 5.8 seconds per Car and Driver. Driven properly, an S2K would be close to a Boxster S. But I've put buslengths on them from a dig because their drivers couldn't launch them right.

-
Lux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2005, 05:16 PM   #12

Send a message via AIM to YellowJacket
The first question in the thread was regarding appropriate range to "keep the rpm's at". The answer to this, I would say is between 2k and 3k for cruising. I usually shift around 3500-4000 (extenuating circumstances, such as pesky s2k's notwithstanding )

And I agree that a 4.5k launch is good for racing, but for an in-town launch, the smoothest way to go is to feather the throttle up to about 2k, and then as soon as the revs start to decline, start slipping the clutch, and then when it starts to grab, start giving it gas slowly. You would not believe how seamless of a launch you can get this way with minimal strain on the clutch.
YellowJacket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2005, 06:54 AM   #13

Any tip owners out there who can explain how to do a launch with the automatic transmission in manual mode? I'm new to sports cars in general and completely new to the tiptronic. Bought an '04 S three months ago. BTW, if you can find new '04 models at dealers, you can get a sweet deal, as the dealers are desperate to get rid of the '04s. That is why I got the tip--too good a deal to pass up. But, you do get somewhat of an inferiority complex with the tip, and I sure don't want to add to it by being blown away all the time.
PDX-986S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2005, 07:48 AM   #14

Talking

"But, you do get somewhat of an inferiority complex with the tip, and I sure don't want to add to it by being blown away all the time."

No need to, M. Schumaker uses one!

Several issues back, there was an excellent article on Tip usage for speed in the Panorama mag.

Recommend it!
Old 04-27-2005, 10:49 AM   #15
Lux

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucelee
Schumaker uses one!

You must mean that midget horse jockey? Probably because he can't reach the clutch pedal and gas at the same time.

Surely Michael Schumacher uses sequential...for Ferrari does not make a torque converter style auto.

But from what I understand, the Tiptronic starts out in 2nd gear unless you use it in "manual" mode. So for the fastest standing start acceleration, I'd put it in manual mode, do a brake stand (step on the brake) and gas it until 3K or so. Then let go of the brake and you should be rocketing out of the gate.

-
Lux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2005, 12:36 PM   #16

Talking

My point of course was that Michael does not use a clutch but shifts with his paddles.

The Tip is an awefully good trans, nothing to feel ashamed of!