Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-03-2010, 04:27 PM   #1

drive shaft too small for drive shaft flange

I just put a used tiptronic transmission in my 2000 boxster (2.7) but the axles wont bolt to the flange shaft (at the transmission). I think the transmisison was from a 3.2 Boxster S. I called the dealer and they said that there are two different part numbers for the Flange Shaft (2.7 vs 3.2)

Flange Shaft #15

Has anyone experienced this? Can I replace both existing 2.7 axles with Boxster S axles? Any recommendations?

Thanks

lenoxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 08:21 PM   #2

Garage
The "S" model does use bigger bolts 10mm i think so it is probably bigger, my 6-speed flanges are 4.25" diameter. I think you can just use "S" shafts.
BYprodriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 08:44 PM   #3

I do not believe it is as easy as using the S Axels. While they will bolt up to the new transmission, they will not fit into the 2.7L rear hubs. When I changed from a 5 to a 6 speed on my racecar I had to get new hubs to fit the axels and also had to get new calipers to fit the hubs. Also would need new rotors to fit everything. What a pain.

Hate to say it but I think you need to take that tansmission out, sell it and but a tip from a 2.5/2.7L

E
ethand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 05:31 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by lenoxx
I just put a used tiptronic transmission in my 2000 boxster (2.7) but the axles wont bolt to the flange shaft (at the transmission). I think the transmisison was from a 3.2 Boxster S. I called the dealer and they said that there are two different part numbers for the Flange Shaft (2.7 vs 3.2)

Flange Shaft #15

Has anyone experienced this? Can I replace both existing 2.7 axles with Boxster S axles? Any recommendations?

Thanks
The axels, flanges, brakes, and suspension carrier hubs are different on the S, which is why rear S brakes cannot be bolted onto a base car. You need to either switch the flanges on the Tip, or get ready to spend a lot of money to convert the rear of the car over to an S configuration; a waste of money in my opinion…..
Old 06-05-2010, 06:37 PM   #5

Thanks for all the advise. The dealer wants $300 each.
Anyone have a set of used flanges for sale or know where I can get some?
Old 06-06-2010, 02:32 PM   #6

Seems a lot easier to me to just swap the output flanges on the transmission. I would try calling GBox and/or OK Foreign, new, they're not going to be very attractive.

When you swap flanges, I would also replace the output flange seals.
Old 06-06-2010, 02:55 PM   #7

What happened to the flanges from the first trans?
Old 06-07-2010, 06:29 AM   #8

I got the car at auction without the transmission. I have been buying all the parts from members on this board. I am almost done, just need the flanges and I can get it driving again.

Last edited by lenoxx; 06-07-2010 at 06:32 AM.
Old 06-07-2010, 06:33 AM   #9

Will the 2.7 flanges fit into the 3.2 transmission?
Old 06-07-2010, 07:45 AM   #10

They should.............
Old 06-07-2010, 09:31 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by lenoxx
Will the 2.7 flanges fit into the 3.2 transmission?
I think so. When I had my gearbox apart and installed my Guard diff, I remember when looking through the parts diagrams that the base and S cars used the same major diff components, so the output flanges should interchange.