Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-03-2010, 07:11 AM   #1

Garage
removing throttle body

I've gotten the 4 bolts off on the TB but am having difficulty removing the connections on the left side (idle control valve?)...seems to be attached with 2 bolts and 2 screws. The screws may be stripped. Any suggestions on how to get that off, or if it's even necessary to get that off in order to thoroughly clean the TB?

99 2.5L Boxster: 135,800 miles, AVIC-Z2 In-dash navigation/DVD receiver w/bypass switch, made and installed Pedro's hi flow air intake, custom laser engraved wind-stop, hacked convertible top relay, de snorkeled.
Pianohawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 07:27 AM   #2

check pedro's garage http://www.pedrosgarage.com/Site_3/Clean_the_Throttle_Body.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedro's Garage
Now you can start to remove the throttle body which is secured by 4 bolts on it's base and 2 hose clamps. The two uppermost bolts are easy to access.

The bottom ones require a little patience especially the one on the right side which is not visible unless you use a mirror. A short extension on a ratchet is handy.

Once it's out, make sure you clean all the passage tubes. You can use alcohol or electric parts cleaner. Some people use carb cleaner, but I personally think it's too harsh.
Old 06-03-2010, 07:33 AM   #3

Garage
I have. After removing the 4 bolts attached to the TB, which I've done, Pedro doesn't offer any in depth advice about how to remove the remaining connections. The right side connection is simply a hose clamp, I believe I can get that off. The problem I'm having is undoing the screws/bolts on the left of the TB.

I've read all the threads on here and renntech about removing the TB. I'm looking for just some specific advice on how to disconnect the idle control valve so I can finally pull this sucker all the way out to clean it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonycarreon

Last edited by Pianohawk; 06-03-2010 at 07:36 AM.
Old 06-03-2010, 07:09 PM   #4

Garage
The screws are stripped on the idle control valve so I couldn't remove the TB entirely. However, I was able to clean most of it and then reassemble everything. Since the car still works, I'll consider this a success.

99 2.5L Boxster: 135,800 miles, AVIC-Z2 In-dash navigation/DVD receiver w/bypass switch, made and installed Pedro's hi flow air intake, custom laser engraved wind-stop, hacked convertible top relay, de snorkeled.