Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-07-2010, 07:09 PM   #1

dual mass flywheel replaced with single

I am about to replace the OEM dual mass flywheel with a light weight single Mass flywheel. Is this an absolutely horrible decision?????

What is the best performance clutch to use to obtained the least amount of chatter?? or am I living in a fantasy world and should expect it to sound like complete crap??

anyone have lightweight set up? happy or regret it?

thanks

Old 05-08-2010, 03:43 AM   #2

For street or track use?

If 90%+ street... don't do it.

If mostly a track toy with occasional street, then go for it. Make sure you use a spring centered clutch disk (to absorb driveline shock that was previously absorbed by the DMF) and seriously consider putting the 3.8RS's harmonic dampener on (it replaces the accessory drive pulley at the front of your engine and will reduce the chance your crankshaft will fail).

Enjoy!

BTW I had a lightweight flywheel and clutch kit in my old 911... it rev'd like a superbike, idled like ******************** (hunted all over the place), and was a b*tch to drive smoothly on the street. But it was awesome on the track.
Lucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 05:14 AM   #3

I agree with Lucky's comments. I had a LW flywheel/sport clutch installed in my 3.6 RS America (964)...the engine rev'd very freely and worked great on the track, but was simply not the setup for street driving. The engine would hunt or die when the clutch was depressed at a stop lights (if I didn't modulate the throttle) since there simply wasn't enough rotating mass to keep the sensors/DME happy.

I've made two modifications to my 3.2 Box S which has greatly improved throttle response. Before mods, the engine hesitated on downshift throttle blips. After replacing the stock airbox/feeder tube withe Evo Hi-Flow unit and adding Fabspeed secondary cats bypass pipes/sport muffler, virtually all hesitation has been eliminated. I believe the engine breaths much more freely, accounting for the change in behavior.

Go ahead with the LW setup for track use, but be aware of the pitfalls that accompany the changes.
PCA DE Instructor circa '95
jmatta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 09:39 AM   #4

You shouldn't have any idle or running problems with a LWF on one of these cars, however, I would strongly advise adding the harmonic damper to the front pulley (you keep your pulley, the damper goes in front of it and you need a longer bolt).

A sprung centered clutch disc is a MUST. I'd go with a SPEC clutch.
Old 05-09-2010, 04:02 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudsurfer
You shouldn't have any idle or running problems with a LWF on one of these cars, however, I would strongly advise adding the harmonic damper to the front pulley (you keep your pulley, the damper goes in front of it and you need a longer bolt).

A sprung centered clutch disc is a MUST. I'd go with a SPEC clutch.
Thanks for the help.

Now I am looking at SPEC clutches and it looks like they are going to send me a Un-Sprung Clutch disk if I order one for a 3.2.

Am I suppose to order a clutch kit for a 97-99 boxster???? are they compatible with the 3.2??

http://www.horsepowerfreaks.com/performanceparts/Porsche/Boxster/Clutch/Clutch_Kits
Old 05-10-2010, 10:28 AM   #6
Pat

I think you'll find this interesting:
http://forums.audiworld.com/showthread.php?p=2088480
SPEC consistently demonstrated their lack of ethics when I dealt with them.
Old 05-10-2010, 06:53 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat
I think you'll find this interesting:
http://forums.audiworld.com/showthread.php?p=2088480
SPEC consistently demonstrated their lack of ethics when I dealt with them.
The Eurospec looks like a nice product. They make nothing for Porsche. Ahhhhh!! Where can I get a quality sprung clutch for a 3.2???? looking for Kevlar, take anything at this point.
Old 05-11-2010, 07:59 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2K3_Boxster_S
Thanks for the help.

Now I am looking at SPEC clutches and it looks like they are going to send me a Un-Sprung Clutch disk if I order one for a 3.2.

Am I suppose to order a clutch kit for a 97-99 boxster???? are they compatible with the 3.2??

http://www.horsepowerfreaks.com/performanceparts/Porsche/Boxster/Clutch/Clutch_Kits
All of SPEC's clutches up through Stage 4 are sprung centered. They are different clutches depending upon if you are using a 5 or 6 speed gearbox. You select the clutch based on the gearbox, not the engine. The amount of torque that the motor makes determines which stage you need.
Old 05-12-2010, 10:13 AM   #9

Quote:
All of SPEC's clutches up through Stage 4 are sprung centered. They are different clutches depending upon if you are using a 5 or 6 speed gearbox. You select the clutch based on the gearbox, not the engine. The amount of torque that the motor makes determines which stage you need.
did you check out this link??

it's basically saying that all Spec Clutch kits for my car will come with an unsprung disk.

I was wondering how people were using a Sachs clutch with the LWF setup. I finally found a site where they sell a Sachs sprung clutch disk. guess they are using this disk. I can't see using an un-sprung disk (which comes in there standard performance clutch kit) on a Single mass. or I could be wrong. everything I have read suggest using an unsprung disk on LWF is a bad idea.

Thanks for the Info on the SPEC. i will check it out.
Old 05-12-2010, 05:21 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2K3_Boxster_S
did you check out this link??

it's basically saying that all Spec Clutch kits for my car will come with an unsprung disk.

I was wondering how people were using a Sachs clutch with the LWF setup. I finally found a site where they sell a Sachs sprung clutch disk. guess they are using this disk. I can't see using an un-sprung disk (which comes in there standard performance clutch kit) on a Single mass. or I could be wrong. everything I have read suggest using an unsprung disk on LWF is a bad idea.

Thanks for the Info on the SPEC. i will check it out.

You absolutely do not want to run a non-sprung clutch on a single mass flywheel. There is a Sachs sprung clutch disc, which if you're on a stock motor, is what I'd do and save the money.
Old 05-12-2010, 07:26 PM   #11

Quote:
You absolutely do not want to run a non-sprung clutch on a single mass flywheel. There is a Sachs sprung clutch disc, which if you're on a stock motor, is what I'd do and save the money.
that's what i thought. what you think about this:
this was the only thing I could find.

http://www.vividracing.com/catalog/sachs-high-power-clutch-disc-porsche-boxster-cayman-04-p-53196.html

I am going to also use a harmonic dampner on the front crank pulley also. hopefully that will be enough to keep the engine in one piece.

Thanks
Old 05-13-2010, 06:54 AM   #12

That is the Sachs Sport clutch disc, which is available with a higher clamp pressure plate. I'm sure it's great, but again, if on a stock motor, you don't really need anything more than stock. If I remember, I think you can get an entire SPEC clutch kit for less money than the Sachs Sport stuff. There is a regular sprung Sachs disc, you may try Vertex Auto.