Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-07-2010, 07:26 AM   #1

Horn and Tiptronic wont work

Hi ,
Got a airbag warning on my dash , so went down to my workshop to solve the problem , after they remove the airbag and check , now even my horn and tiptronic wont work , the guys at the workshop remove the Airbag and found out that one of the wire snap , they rejoin the wire after when they found a spare wire on the contact support .
Everything works fine , but the airbag warning lamp still lights up and after many attempts trying to reset it for me , it will come back in less than 5 min , Now they suspect one of the wire inside the contact support is causing this problem , but the problem now is they can't confrim if its the wire causing this , i dun wanna order a new contact support and the warning lamp still remains .
BTW , my mechanics has confrim there is nothing wrong with the seat belt and i've not remove anything from the door also the airbag is working fine, the only thing i've done to the car is upgrading the ICE and change to a bigger amper battery .
Can any kind souls please advise me on a better solution ?
Thanks in advance !

A link to the contact support for better idea
http://www.pelicanparts.com/cgi-bin/smart/more_info.cgi?pn=996-652-213-00-M100&catalog_description=Contact%20Support%20for%20Stee ring%20Wheel%20Air%20Bag%20NOTE%3A%20Only%20for%20 cars%20with%20M%32%34%39%20%28Tiptronic%29%2C%20Bo xster%2FBoxster%20S%20%28%31%39%39%37%2D%30%34%29% 20%20

Last edited by brabus; 05-07-2010 at 07:34 AM.
brabus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 07:44 AM   #2

if ya went into the shop with just an airbag warning then left with more problems it would seem they [shop] erred someplace.there must/should be a bunch of codes now. do they have a good scan tool % i;m sure they need to retrace
extanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 08:17 AM   #3

Airbag waring lights

are often caused by grounding problems. There are several TSBs on the subject and the shop should have those and know them before they go removing anything in the steering wheel. I'm not guessing your shop knows Porsches as these are well known problems...my 2 cars have been in the shop 4 times for them.

TSB = Technical Service Bulletin
mikefocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 02:15 PM   #4

Hi

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikefocke
are often caused by grounding problems. There are several TSBs on the subject and the shop should have those and know them before they go removing anything in the steering wheel. I'm not guessing your shop knows Porsches as these are well known problems...my 2 cars have been in the shop 4 times for them.

TSB = Technical Service Bulletin
Hi sir,
Thanks for your reply , Sorry but what do you mean by grounding problems ?
Do you think its something to do with the battery ?
I dun think its the ICE that cause this , because i've had the ICE install 2 weeks before the warning lamp lights up and everything is fine, and only after i change to a new battery for 1/2 a day , the warning lamps lights up .
Before they install the new battery , they had to cut off some of my wires attach to the batt cos is not long enough , and later extend the previous wire with some lose wire so that its long enough to reach the batt terminal .
I suspect this is where it trigger the warning lamp , anyway tks for pointing this out , at least now i felt more convince if its the grounding problem .
Hope you can tell me more about the grounding problems .

Best regards
Old 05-07-2010, 04:59 PM   #5

Grounding problem

A bad (corrosion or wear) connection to the chassis ground as opposed to the hot or plus side of a circuit.

ICE isn't a term I'm familiar with, care to spell it out.

One classic problem is a grounding strap that connects the alarm computer under the left hand seat to the chassis. Other causes require a seatbelt buckle receptacle replacement. Both are easily diagnosed by a knowledgeable Porsche mechanic with the proper Porsche equipment called a PST2 or PIWIS which allows a diagnostic computer to the OBD2 port under the dash.

When I replaced my battery on my Boxster, I replaced the grounding strap with one that was a little longer for a better fit with the new battery but there were no other wires directly connected to the battery.
mikefocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 12:12 AM   #6

Hi

Hi mike ,
ICE spells out as In-Car Entertainment , meaning i did quite a fair bit of mod to my car as in i add in amp , change speaker and sub woofer .
Hope you can have a better understanding of my problems .

Cheers