Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-26-2010, 08:05 AM   #1

Send a message via MSN to Matt Fredrikson
Bad ticking

I've got quite the bad ticking sound from behind the drivers side. Happens at 2800 rpm till around 3200 rpm everytime without fail. Most able to hear it in gears 1,2,3. I'm thinking bad axle since I had all 4 boots done in January when I did my clutch but a couple joints were in bad shape and the dealer recomended replacing both axles. At 1000 a pop that wasn't going to happen. Any ideas where to start? Idle is quiet and revs up to that point quiet. Possibly tension idlers? Thanks for any help guys.

Matt Fredrikson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 08:17 AM   #2

with car not moving raise engine speed to 3 grand ....is noise present ?
extanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 09:14 AM   #3

need more info. does it tick when the car is not moving & you just rev the motor? does the ticking vary speed with the vehicle, or with the motor (i.e. does it change w/ mph or w/ rpm)? do you notice it more or less some times versus others? does it go away if you ride the brakes a bit? does it change when you turn?

http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t...1/KMTGPR-1.jpg
insite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 04:57 PM   #4

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Fredrikson
I've got quite the bad ticking sound from behind the drivers side. Happens at 2800 rpm till around 3200 rpm everytime without fail. Most able to hear it in gears 1,2,3. I'm thinking bad axle since I had all 4 boots done in January when I did my clutch but a couple joints were in bad shape and the dealer recomended replacing both axles. At 1000 a pop that wasn't going to happen. Any ideas where to start? Idle is quiet and revs up to that point quiet. Possibly tension idlers? Thanks for any help guys.
Might be a lifter problem, I would change your oil if it has been over 3000 miles since it was changed. Doubt the axles have anything to do with the ticking as they should be quieter with new grease & boots. If your CV joints are bad enough to need replacing they will make noise when you go around turns under power.
BYprodriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 05:24 PM   #5

some amount of ticking is normal, it's the lifters. I agree, change the oil and report back.
JL Audio 6.5 inch subs (in the door)
Pyramid 4 channel amp
chitowndad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 06:57 PM   #6

Wow total brain fart on trying it sitting still lol ( I'm a millwright you'd think I'd catch that lol! ) will do and let you guys know. Oil was done about 3 days ago so that's not it for sure. Hard to say but I never remember the sou d from before my clutch job but specifically remember afterwards thinking " hey that's new?" I'll run down to the parkade after dinner and try it in place thanks guys.
Old 04-27-2010, 08:58 AM   #7

ok so reved it up while sitting in out of gear sound was still present in the same rpm range. thoughts?

ps - seems like the noise was more pronounced with clean oil as I noticed it first right after the oil change with the clutch job and again with this latest one. Could just be me but now I'm thinking that way?
Old 04-27-2010, 11:07 AM   #8

One thing about that 2800 - 3200 RPM range, that's when the most vibration gets transmitted to the cabin. How's your front engine mount? If it's failed maybe that rev range is rattling something?

-james

'01 Boxster S, 51k miles
'05 Mazda 6 Grand Touring Wagon
yimmy149 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 08:33 PM   #9

I changed the mount only last month sorry should have mentioned that. Also there is no vibration just noise. I'm starting to lean towards tensioner bearing ( since it sounds like a light duty bearing going bad to be honest ) or possibly an exhaust leak. Noise is less noticable when reving from a stop then when driving. However, the noise is so slight that I can't hear it with the top down. This again makes me think the firewall is comming apart this weekend for a closer look.