Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-05-2010, 10:08 AM   #1

Spoiler Hack?

I have reached out on various boards and have yet to find a "Hack" that addresses the point at which the rear spoiler extends. As the collective knowledge of many exceeds the knowledge of one, I am now reaching out to my colleages here at 986forum.

Has anyone attempted to hack the 75mph limit placed on the rear spoiler? I know of a manual solution but prefer to be able to set the limit at 65mph and let the car do the work. Does anyone know how the rear spoiler knows to extend at this point? Is it controlled electronically or is there a mechanical solution? With all the hacks that are out there I cannot believe that this one is so elusive.
Thanks!

DRL hack
boxzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 01:02 PM   #2

The spoiler deployment is controlled by the ECU.
When the car reaches 70 mph the ECU sends a signal (voltage) to the relay, which activated the motor and it is deployed.
When the car slows to under 55 mph the ECU cuts the signal (voltage) to the relay and the motor retracts.
Why do you want to reduce the speed for deployment?
At 65 mph there still isn't that much lift to be spoiled.
It's actually over 100 mph where it actually prevents accidents by (reducing) spoiling over 100 lbs. of lift on the rear axle.
Happy Boxstering,
Pedro
Old 09-12-2011, 11:58 AM   #3

spoiler hack rationale

On many of the roads I travel, the spoiler doesn't lift until above the posted speed limit, but then doesn't retract until well below same. So if am having a bit of fun, but then slow to the speed limit, every cop I pass will see the billboard on the back of my car advertising my recent gas-wasting behavior, at least until I slow even further to retract it, something I cannot even safely monitor from the driver's seat. So I'd be interested in this hack, too, if it exists, but perhaps to raise the limits to something more meaningful aerodynamically.
BrokenLinkage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 12:09 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxzilla
Has anyone attempted to hack the 75mph limit placed on the rear spoiler? I know of a manual solution but prefer to be able to set the limit at 65mph and let the car do the work. Does anyone know how the rear spoiler knows to extend at this point?
Thanks!

Yes. But the only thing that is powerful enough to generate 1.21 jiggawatts is a bolt of lightning, and we don't know when, or where, it will strike.
The dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 01:12 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokenLinkage
On many of the roads I travel, the spoiler doesn't lift until above the posted speed limit, but then doesn't retract until well below same. So if am having a bit of fun, but then slow to the speed limit, every cop I pass will see the billboard on the back of my car advertising my recent gas-wasting behavior, at least until I slow even further to retract it, something I cannot even safely monitor from the driver's seat. So I'd be interested in this hack, too, if it exists, but perhaps to raise the limits to something more meaningful aerodynamically.
In only this regard: i'd be very impressed if a random cop knew the spoiler deploys at 70. But I would imagine that if his knowledge of Porsche trivia were to such an extent, he'd also know you can manually deploy the spoiler at any speed. At the very least, wouldn't that raise "reasonable doubt"?

Other than that friendly food for thought, I don't know of anyone who has done this hack.
Boxster_S_girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 06:23 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by The dude
Yes. But the only thing that is powerful enough to generate 1.21 jiggawatts is a bolt of lightning, and we don't know when, or where, it will strike.
This could really work!
truegearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 06:53 AM   #7

Retractable spoilers suck! I'm doing this mod next weekend...

ReallyDirtyThirty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 12:43 PM   #8
Opposed to Subie Burble

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokenLinkage
If you hit the rocker switch on your fuse panel as soon as you start the car, the spoiler will stay up regardless of your speed until the car is turned off. It will stay raised, even when parked, until you start the car again and hit speeds that will cause it to function normally in the way Pedro described above. I'd say just make a habit of hitting the switch when you hop in, and it'll always be raised.

1997 Arctic Silver Boxster, 5-spd
IMSR + RMS
Robbins glass window top
Overdrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 01:02 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppbon
The spoiler deployment is controlled by the ECU.
When the car reaches 70 mph the ECU sends a signal (voltage) to the relay, which activated the motor and it is deployed.
When the car slows to under 55 mph the ECU cuts the signal (voltage) to the relay and the motor retracts.
Why do you want to reduce the speed for deployment?
At 65 mph there still isn't that much lift to be spoiled.
It's actually over 100 mph where it actually prevents accidents by (reducing) spoiling over 100 lbs. of lift on the rear axle.
Happy Boxstering
Pedro
How does weight reduction at the rear ( like installing a race exhaust) affect stability at this speed? Does one need a wing if weight is removed back there or is it just the change in weight due to aerodynamic lift that will cause problems. It could be both I guess
Old 09-17-2011, 09:37 PM   #10

Garage
Do all boxsters have retracatable spoilers? Or is it just for 986S's?
Mrmaddbrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 12:39 AM   #11
Opposed to Subie Burble

Garage
Every Boxster comes with one.

Apparently when the first Aerokit was being made it supplied a trunk lid that eliminated the retractable spoiler since the kit came with a permanent trunk mounted spoiler, but by design every Boxster and Cayman is supposed to have a retractable spoiler except for the Boxster Spyder and Cayman R, I think.

IMSR + RMS
Robbins glass window top
Old 09-18-2011, 06:19 AM   #12

Garage
This is the first solar powered 911 that I've seen . And it's yellow !
Attached Images

Old 09-19-2011, 06:08 PM   #13

Garage
I've seen a porsche in San Fransisco that had modded a rocker switch that deploid the retractable spoiler at any time, and could easily switch it off while the car was running.

I'm not sure how he actually did it, but he spent some time talking to me about how he had to start it using the rocker switch that comes in it stock, and then the modded switch allowed for the regulation of power between the stock switch, and the spoiler.

I'm really not sure if that made any sense, but I have seen it done lol
Old 09-19-2011, 06:57 PM   #14
Opposed to Subie Burble

Garage
That pretty much sounds like what the car does stock...you tap the switch up, spoiler raises and stays up regardless of your speed...it's basically overriding normal operation. Now to stow, you hold the switch down for about 3 seconds, spoiler stows itself and resumes normal operation.

That's how mine works at least, and how the manual details it.

IMSR + RMS
Robbins glass window top
Old 09-19-2011, 07:56 PM   #15

Garage
Haha alright, well idk then, he told me his was after market. But idk... I'll have to find another one and try it out.
Old 09-21-2011, 04:56 AM   #16

My car's spoiler also goes up when it sees women like that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W9VsGjXkHeg
ekam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 06:46 AM   #17

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrmaddbrad
I've seen a porsche in San Fransisco that had modded a rocker switch that deploid the retractable spoiler at any time, and could easily switch it off while the car was running.

I'm not sure how he actually did it, but he spent some time talking to me about how he had to start it using the rocker switch that comes in it stock, and then the modded switch allowed for the regulation of power between the stock switch, and the spoiler.

I'm really not sure if that made any sense, but I have seen it done lol
There is a mod to route that switch to the main console (replacing an unused switch already there):

http://911car.blogspot.com/2009/06/porsche-rear-spoiler-switch-install-on.html

Is that what you meant?

2003S is offline   Reply With Quote