Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-01-2010, 07:01 AM   #21

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by docmorin
I not interested in the exhaust being so loud that it is overwhelming. I was just looking for that throaty sound and loud ONLY when you get on it.
Doc
The mod to increase the sound of the OEM muffler is the 'Crios mod', and you will find it with a search. I did it a year ago and was happy with the difference, which I think was more at idle than higher RPM (maybe because the de-snorkled intake sound was louder than the exhaust at high RPM).
I still wanted a little more sound with no drone, and I prefer the twin tailpipe look vs. the OEM muffler on my 2002 2.7, so this spring I changed the OEM muffler for a FVD/Brombacher 'Sound version' muffler. It has a little more rumble than the Crios mod at idle, and more sound as the RPM increases, especially over 4kRPM. It is not much louder than OEM when cruising on the highway. Like the Dansk unit, it has the stamped look of the OEM muffler, which supposedly helps with drone. They claim a hp increase, but that is not why I bought it. I certainly did not detect any reduction in power, there is no drone, and it sounds and looks great.
I have been following this forum for a couple of years now, and it seems that opinions on mufflers/exhaust systems vary quite a bit.
Check out all the options, and good luck!

MN 986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 09:24 AM   #22

Garage
On a serious note, there is an infinite number of after market cat-back exhausts out there, all of which claim to increase power and improve sound. I think that its fair to say that the prevailing reason why most of us upgrade our exhaust is to improve "sound".
Certain that it is, early on in your research, you will quickly learn that the mere mentioning of the word "sound" in the same context as "exhaust", will incite vigorous debate with regard to the best sounding product. I can tell you from experience, if you choose to upgrade your vehicle's headers and cats, it is no easy task designing a "system" that will result in both improved performance, as well as safety and reliability.
Johnny Danger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 09:01 AM   #23

I had REMUS on my M3 and plan on adding it to my boxster as soon as i purchase the car... really throaty at idle and plain raspy at redline!!!
wake&moto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 10:24 PM   #24

Garage
2001 boxster S exhaust

Hi, I have installed a set of BB headers for a 2.5 with that cat system and a factory S sport mufler and rased fuel pressure about .3 bar. The dyno gain was 12hp peak and 17hp at 7200 . Note, I did have to extend the wires for the O2 sensors . The sound is very good , I enjoy driving my S with this setup.

Last edited by Boxster..S; 05-13-2010 at 10:39 PM.
Boxster..S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 06:33 AM   #25
Pat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobo1186
keep in mind that even if there is no gain in getting an aftermarket system you can also lose massive amounts of weight. and mixing the exhaust with a spare tire delete and you have lost yourself around 50 lbs in one fell swoop.
I like where your head is at, Lobo. It's not that we're removing something from the car; Rather, we're adding lightness. That helps not only with acceleration, but also ride, braking and handling.
I think sometimes people are so concerned about peak power and torque numbers they frequently forget the end goal: better overall performance.
I seek performance through wisdom.