Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-19-2010, 11:32 PM   #61

Who added the 'Porsche' monogrammed dead pedal?

Cheers!

1999 Porsche Boxster
(gone, but not forgotten)
http://i933.photobucket.com/albums/a...smiley-003.gif

Never drive faster than your Guardian Angel can fly!
Lil bastard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 11:08 AM   #62
dti

I dont know lil bastard it just came like that. I wanted to ask can I stick a hose and with the pressure get all the gunk out of the radiators and water lines? or should I take out the radiators to get them cleaned? Does the coolant flush just consist of taking the coolant out or actually flushing the system with a water hose or something like that?
dti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 01:51 PM   #63

Garage
flushing

flushing with a system cleaner is probably going to be needed. and a single pass through with a water hose stuffed up the whazoo hose is not going to get the crap out. :troll:

you will likely need to add some cooling system chemical and then get the system hot. same procedure as refilling and burping the cooling system, and probably need to do it twice. there must be some chemical that you can add that will bind the oil and keep it from seperating from the water.

lastly make sure you have oil in the engine in the correct place before you hit the starter

03-r1100s, 11-f800st, 09-987.2, Norton Commando
auf adlers fluegeln getragen
litteng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 06:22 PM   #64

Flushing the cooling system

Back in my hot rod days, we used to use Arm & Hammer "Washing Soda" to clean out the radiators in the old cars we would get. It was the only stuff that would clean out the cooling system with any effectiveness. Dissolve it in a bucket of hot water and pour it in. Run it for a while to get it circulated throughout the system and then flush with clean water at least two times.
After reading all the posts on this thread, I wonder if someone may have inadvertantly poured oil in to the wrong filler cap since they are right next to each other.
Spinnaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 06:47 PM   #65

i would be careful with the arm and hammer idea. the motor is aluminum and therefore affected by caustic chemicals.
There is a special tool used to flush the cooling system completly, also with the car jacked as such, I bet there is another few gallons or so of coolent/oil in the front radiators and lines.

you really should listen to the advise from the experienced people in the group. even if you can fix it without pulling the motor, I bet you will spend 1000$ to do it correctly.

just the repeated flushing of the system will be expensive as the antifreeze is high dollar.

god forbid you have to pull the motor, easy 5-8 K fix. you will be overrun with "while you are in there fixes"

buy a 2.5 motor for 2-3-4K pull yours and trade it in for the core, and you have a instant fix for a huge problem.

Call LA dismantlers they will have all the parts you need.

http://www.ladismantler.com

you really are opening pandora's box. I dont think you understand/believe just how costly this can get real quick.
Pedro rear stabilizer bar, CF strut braces, Maxspeed headers with 100 cell cats, Fabspeed cat bypass pipes, H&R springs with M030 setup, TRG rear links, EVO air intake, B&M Short shift kit, Raby IMS upgrade, Raby underdrive pulley
jhandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 07:33 PM   #66

I had that same thought about someone pouring the oil in the wrong filler tube. Wouldn't it be nice if that was the only problem?
Mark_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 10:10 PM   #67
dti

Haha definitely, I got tired and called a german/ porsche mechanic to come check out the car and once and for all tell me what is wrong with the damn car :dance:
But definitely agree with you guys if the motor is bad Ill just try to find a motor do a swap and presto! But about the flushing thing. Is there any chemical? or method besides that machine pressure flush? Im sure there is. But just in case I do have a compressor
Old 04-22-2010, 07:13 AM   #68

Zerex Super Cleaner

buy a uview airlift coolent system pressure tester flush tool.

http://www.uview.com/ProductDetail.php?PartNumber=550000

buy distilled water and porsche coolent, or there is a texaco brand that is ok as well to refill.

while you are in there, take off the water pump and look at the vanes, if damaged, replace pump.
Pedro rear stabilizer bar, CF strut braces, Maxspeed headers with 100 cell cats, Fabspeed cat bypass pipes, H&R springs with M030 setup, TRG rear links, EVO air intake, B&M Short shift kit, Raby IMS upgrade, Raby underdrive pulley

Last edited by jhandy; 04-22-2010 at 07:49 AM.
Old 04-22-2010, 07:46 AM   #69

I noticed prestone bottles in the background. Is that what you refilled your system with?
Sputter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 07:39 PM   #70
dti

yeah but it's the nitrate, silicate and all the other stuff free. I saw it on pedros garage while he refilled his, he mixed 50/50 water and this coolant. Does that pressure system thing just help you bleed the cooling system? or does it do anything else?

Also How can I fully get the oil out of my radiators and tubes? a chemical? and also do you guys recommend me taking out the thermostat and cleaning it or just leave it be?
Old 04-22-2010, 07:42 PM   #71
dti

does that zerex system cleaner help to clean the oil?
Old 04-22-2010, 08:21 PM   #72

the pressure tool is advised in order to prevent air pockets that may or may not get bumped out. If an air pocket remains inside the engine block, the motor will over heat in that area and could the damage motor.

As for the zertec, i dont know if it removes oil. i dont know of anything that says, "removes oil", I am assuming because there is not supposed to be oil in there.

easy suggestion.... lower the car down, and raise the front. you will notice gallons of fluid pour out.

or you could remove the hoses in the front, with the rear in the air.