Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-22-2010, 08:06 AM   #1

Top side tension cables

I saw these but I'm hesitant to buy them because I have no idea if I can actually change them out or not:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Side-Tension-Cables-26-1-8-Long-Porsche-Boxster-01-02_W0QQitemZ270501756495QQcmdZViewItemQQptZMotors_ Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories?hash=item3efb293e4f#ht _3446wt_1167

Has anyone done this repair?

Mine are stretched out due to the first owner having a hard top on the car for three straight years. Every time the top is raised I have to manually tuck the sides into the channel. The elastic is also all stretched out, which would have to be replaced too, but that's another issue altogether.

RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 10:51 AM   #2

Hi Randall, Those cables are not for the Boxster. The cables are stitched during assembling top and can't be replaced.
Peter Serbanica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 12:07 PM   #3

The correct length of the OEM cable is 655mm or 25 3/4 in long, and it is part number 986 561 921 00. So, the part on that site is too long, and it cannot be installed if both eyelets are already crimped on.

If you are certain that your cables are stretched, you could shorten them if you can source a proper crimp-on eyelet as IIRC Porsche does not sell the eyelets separately.

Before you play with the cables, try a couple of the possible solutions described here:

http://sites.google.com/site/mikefocke2/convertibletopedgedoesnotfallintoguidech

Regards, Maurice.
schoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 12:36 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandallNeighbour
Mine are stretched out due to the first owner having a hard top on the car for three straight years. Every time the top is raised I have to manually tuck the sides into the channel. The elastic is also all stretched out, which would have to be replaced too, but that's another issue altogether.
Randall:

Those cables don't stretch because of their material and braided construction.
If the side cables are not engaging in the channel, as the top goes up is one of two issues:

a) Behind the uppermost part of the side cable, there is an elastic band sewn into the top which has to be routed around the side brace and down to a plastic anchor on the lower bow. This puts tension on the cable and pulls it inward so that it catches the chanel when it's being raised.

b) For the bottom part of the side cable, there is a plastic slider attached to the metal structure. In front of this slider there is a metal spring that has to be positioned so that it pushes back on the slider (and the bottom of the cable) . Again, as the bottom of the cable is pushed inwards, the cable will catch on the channel.

Happy Boxstering,
Pedro
Old 03-22-2010, 02:41 PM   #5

a) Behind the uppermost part of the side cable, there is an elastic band sewn into the top which has to be routed around the side brace and down to a plastic anchor on the lower bow. This puts tension on the cable and pulls it inward so that it catches the chanel when it's being raised.

My elastic bands are totally stretched out and floppy. No idea how to fix that beyond going to an upholstery shop and paying them to replace them. The problem is that they see that it's a Porsche and triple the price for the repair!

b) For the bottom part of the side cable, there is a plastic slider attached to the metal structure. In front of this slider there is a metal spring that has to be positioned so that it pushes back on the slider (and the bottom of the cable) . Again, as the bottom of the cable is pushed inwards, the cable will catch on the channel.

Pedro, I really need a picture to get my head around this. Got one?
Old 03-22-2010, 03:01 PM   #6

There is a photo of that finger spring at the link I gave you earlier.

Regards, Maurice.
schoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 03:14 PM   #7

Quote:
Sorry. No real pictures available, but these illustrations should make it clear.

Item 14 in the first image is the elastic band which goes around item 1 in the second image
Items 11, 12 and 13 in the first image make up the plastic slider which is pushed back by item 21 in the second image (leaf spring)

Happy Boxstering,
Pedro
Old 03-23-2010, 11:46 AM   #8

Quote:

My elastic bands are totally stretched out and floppy. No idea how to fix that beyond going to an upholstery shop and paying them to replace them. The problem is that they see that it's a Porsche and triple the price for the repair!

Put the top half way down and check if the screw that atatches it to "B" pillar is tight. Also loosen it and push eyelet towards inside the car to add tension and tighten. Also the strap that has velcro on it may have pulled loose. Tighten that too.
Peter Serbanica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 12:17 PM   #9

Pedro, Maurice, and Peter: Man I wish I lived closer to all three of you. Thank you so much for all this info. I shall go home and fiddle with all these things tonight and report back with my results (or lack thereof).

I really, REALLY want a new GAHH top but I simply do not have the cash. Repair instead of replace must be the method for at least another calendar year
Old 04-08-2010, 03:18 PM   #10

Randall, this happened with my '05 987 top. I can NOT believe that porsche didn't make this a replaceable part, especially when they knew it was a problem with the 986 too!

The dealership tried taking out some of the slack--they said that there was still enough stretch in the cables to make that safe, but it didn't solve the problem. In the end, they took it to an upholstery shop and had new elastic bands stitched in.

Grumble grumble grumble....