Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-13-2010, 09:17 AM   #1

Red warning message- Transmission

Car data: Boxster S PDK 2010

Hi all,
Yesterday I was driving my car.

I activated 2 times the "launch control" at a row...
At the second time - when the car shifted to 3rd gear - I saw a red error message regarding the transmission.

I stopped the car immidietly at a safe place and stopped the engine.

I said to myself - I heard no strange noises, no strange smell, no vibrations, no smoke. I think it is okeay to turn the engine on again.

I turned it, and I saw the error message is off - I continued driving.

What do u think? Was it a high transmission oil temp. caused the error message?
Should I still have take it to the garrage?

Thank you,
Uri.

x-dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 10:37 AM   #2

Using the launch control on the PDK cars heats up the fluid real fast, so yes, it was most likely the car telling you that the fluid was too hot.

You will most likely want to change the transmission fluid at the earliest possible interval, which I think is the 30k mile mark, just to prolong the life of the transmission.

BC.

'98 Silver Boxster, '08 Ducati 848, '89 Honda Hawk GT, '89 Honda Pacific Coast
Bladecutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 07:25 AM   #3

Updating

Well, It kept my mind busy - I called to the garage - they said to me simply: we will send your car to us for a computer update. Most of the chances are that the warning message uvé got because the certien chip is not updated.

Well - I hope it is because of the update

I will keep u all updated.

Thanx !
Uri.
Old 03-14-2010, 10:48 AM   #4

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by x-dream
Well, It kept my mind busy - I called to the garage - they said to me simply: we will send your car to us for a computer update. Most of the chances are that the warning message uvé got because the certien chip is not updated.

Well - I hope it is because of the update

I will keep u all updated.

Thanx !
Uri.
Be sure to read your owners manual to see what the warning light means.
BYprodriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 10:20 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYprodriver
Be sure to read your owners manual to see what the warning light means.
It says: tow the car to the garage.
That means that some problem should be fix. Update can be such a problem. Germans are strict with laws - They can make u tow the car to the garage if you need an update to your cd-player

I talked with the garage manager also and he said that at the PDK cars no problems in the gear appeared ever but the update.
Old 12-29-2010, 12:00 PM   #6

PDK Problem

I have had my Boxster for about 3 months now and love it. The other night i was coming home from work and zipped around a corner at an intersection and suddenly it was like the PDK transmisison went into neutral and I got the "Transmission Emergency Run" error. For a second there I thought is said Transmission Ruined! I coasted to a stop and turned it off and back on and it cleared, so i tried to drive it and within 50 yards or so it did the same thing, went out of gear (revs like its in neutral) and got the code again. When i cycled it off and on the info panel said engine service required, so i called roadside assistance and flatbedded it to the dealer. After one day the dealer said come and get it, couldnt find anything wrong, and no faults in the computer. They told me that the "rear wheels slipped" and caused the fault. I have driven the twisties and in the rain and had PSM kick in many times without the transmission cutting out or getting warning codes so i dont buy thier explanation. After reading a few posts online about this error I think they must know about it but didnt let on. I drove it home yesterday and had no problems (even got PSM to kick in a couple of times). I feel like it is going to happen again, and hope it doesnt leave me stranded somewhere.

Sounds like these PDK problems have been coming up a bit but this is different from the other postes I have read, i.e. the transmission going into neutral?

At least I got to drive the Panamera loaner car. Nice drive but I'll take the Boxster S any day!
19"
lrocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 08:19 PM   #7

Hi folks. I'm new to this forum, just bought my first porsche, a 2011 Boxster S with PDK, on Friday. I checked it out at a German mechanic, and both autocheck and carfax and it seemed to drive fine. I drove it to get gas and then I got the transmission error message. I turned it off, let it cool, called the dealer that sold it to me (not porsche), and started, and it was fine. I then drove it over to a Porsche dealer (luckily right nearby), and the light came on again and the transmission slipped out just as I was pulling into their lot. Luckily it is under warranty. They have had the car since, but they haven't been able to find the problem. Has this "tranmission overheating" message continued to be a problem with the Boxsters after 2010?

johnnyBbad is offline   Reply With Quote