Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-10-2010, 08:11 PM   #1
2001 RUF 3800S

ECU cable up grade as effective as getting it tuned on a dyno?

Im looking to get my 01 S chipped. And ive been reading some post and many people have been just getting the software and cable shipped to them.

I thought if your doing an ECU chip it would be effective if it was tuned on a dyno? I dont understand how a generic ecu software n cable can be as effective as getting it done while on a dyno and tuned to what kind of performance parts you have on... can someone let me know what im missing here.....

Thanks

Old 03-11-2010, 01:59 AM   #2
Rennzenn

Garage
I've done most of the mods you've done, and a visit to the dyno gave me important AFR information (I was lean) that I then sent to the software tuner. with the new software, the car is running better now, and there's no CEL. I want to get to the dyno again to see how power has changed and to measure differences in the AFR.
I think both are necessary to get the most out of the car.
j.fro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 12:08 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by violametallic-S-
Im looking to get my 01 S chipped. And ive been reading some post and many people have been just getting the software and cable shipped to them.

I thought if your doing an ECU chip it would be effective if it was tuned on a dyno? I dont understand how a generic ecu software n cable can be as effective as getting it done while on a dyno and tuned to what kind of performance parts you have on... can someone let me know what im missing here.....

Thanks
I suggest you get on the dyno before and after. my do it yourself software and cable resulted in negative HP and TQ gains.
Old 03-12-2010, 01:07 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2K3_Boxster_S
I suggest you get on the dyno before and after. my do it yourself software and cable resulted in negative HP and TQ gains.
Wrong. If I am not mistaken your exhaust setup could be culprit due to the lack of back pressure. Too much of a free flowing system is no bueno my friend.
2003 Porsche Boxster S 3.2L l AASCO Lightweight Flywheel l FVD Brombacher ECU l FVD Brombacher 100 Cell Sport Catalytics l FVD Brombacher Sport Headers l GiroDisc 340mm FR Rotors l IPD Intake Plenum l Litronics l KW Variant 3 Coilovers l Porsche 997 75mm Throttle Body l Road Sport Supply Underdrive Pulley Kit l Sachs Stage 2 Racing Clutch Kit l TechArt Short Shift Kit l TechArt Power Flow Kit l TechArt Sport Exhaust.
Cartel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 04:21 PM   #5

The cable

probably allows your laptop to talk to the ECU. Then you get to s/w to do so (make sure your interface and OS will work with the s/w). Then you get a data file with their best guess of that parameters that will work best with your engine and its mods.

OK..so I know this guy who has one of the most moded engines on earth. And it took him about 50 dyno runs and on the road runs to come up with the best set of parameters and mods he could devise. So do I think their best first guess is gonna be great for you...heck no. Unless they have had a setup just like yours on their dyno.

Just as your moding without a test dyno run after each mod to see its effect may be leading you in the wrong direction. Data should drive your direction.
mikefocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 04:43 PM   #6

Send a message via AIM to blinkwatt
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cartel
Wrong. If I am not mistaken your exhaust setup could be culprit due to the lack of back pressure. Too much of a free flowing system is no bueno my friend.
That's doesn't explain how plenty of other people have their car's dynoed after a ECU flash only to find a waste of money. Stock, or aftermarket parts aside these cars do not like their ECU messed with.
Old 03-12-2010, 07:06 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by blinkwatt
That's doesn't explain how plenty of other people have their car's dynoed after a ECU flash only to find a waste of money. Stock, or aftermarket parts aside these cars do not like their ECU messed with.
Granted there are many a variables that collectively play into it in the grand scheme of things, I understand. Albeit I have enjoyed my vehicle tenfold since flashing my vehicle and a discernible difference was noted. The second best modification I have made to my vehicle in the performance department and even lead to my incarceration for 48 hours. I cannot complain as all is well on my end.
2003 Porsche Boxster S 3.2L l AASCO Lightweight Flywheel l FVD Brombacher ECU l FVD Brombacher 100 Cell Sport Catalytics l FVD Brombacher Sport Headers l GiroDisc 340mm FR Rotors l IPD Intake Plenum l Litronics l KW Variant 3 Coilovers l Porsche 997 75mm Throttle Body l Road Sport Supply Underdrive Pulley Kit l Sachs Stage 2 Racing Clutch Kit l TechArt Short Shift Kit l TechArt Power Flow Kit l TechArt Sport Exhaust.
Old 03-12-2010, 07:21 PM   #8

Quote:
a discernible difference was noted. .
How did you measure this difference? please explain.
Old 03-12-2010, 07:23 PM   #9

Quote:
actually You are wrong. the car gained 18 HP by deleting the rear CATS and going to 200 Cells in the front. Measured on a DYNO.
Old 03-12-2010, 07:25 PM   #10

Quote:
How did you measure this difference? please explain.
On the amount of speeding tickets I recieved in a given month, hightened fuel expenditure, and a last my incarceration. My only gripe with the FVD flash and/or IPD intake plenum/TB upgrade is the ill prescense or availability of a get out of jail free card! Bar none those were the absolute BEST upgrades I made. Mind you I am no engineer, I only play one on the net.
Old 03-12-2010, 07:27 PM   #11

Quote:
actually You are wrong. the car gained 18 HP by deleting the rear CATS and going to 200 Cells in the front. Measured on a DYNO.
246 rwhp pre-flash and 236? rwhp post-flash

/e dyno's can be rather inconsistent and as per stated earlier in my post, there are a number of variables that ultimately play into it at the end of the day. I for one have never been keen on numbers, unfortunately it seems to be the only standard of measure around these parts and elsewhere.
Old 03-12-2010, 07:30 PM   #12

Quote:
Not back pressure, but suboptimal exhaust resonance tuning/scavenging. Backpressure does not ever add power.
1986 951
http://www.picvault.info/images/537088217_bugsav.jpg
eclou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 07:36 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by eclou
Not back pressure, but suboptimal exhaust resonance tuning/scavenging. Backpressure does not ever add power.
Exactly, thank you for correcting me. I stand corrected and was unsure as to the exactitude in the proper terminology. The way I understood it is a free flowing exhaust is more tolerable/permittable on the turbo applications versus that of the naturally aspirated vehichles.

*Please correct me if I am falling short on understanding this correctly, as I am giving er' my best to understand the mechanincs of our vehicles as accurately as possible without being biased*