Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-14-2010, 11:08 PM   #1

CEL - P0102 code..

My cars CEL came on recently, I checked the code.

P0102.

i saw elsewhere this is MAF related. can I just clean it or do I need to replacei t?

I cleared the code tonight..and am out for a drive tomorrow..i'll see if it comes back...

is cleaning the MAF an easy DIY?

2006 RL - My daily driver
2000 Boxster - Ocean Blue Base 5spd on Black Full leather. 18" wheels and M030.

Boxster mods I've added: Rear speaker kit, Painted Calipers, Painted Bumperettes, Painted Center Console, 987 Shifter Assembly, 3 Spoke Steering Wheel, Clear side markers, 03+ rear lights, de-snorkeled.
23109VC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 05:54 AM   #2
07 Carrera S Cab

Garage
Cleaning the MAF is easy, but just make sure you are careful not to drop the tamper proof torx screws down the engine compartment when removing them.

Here are the instructions:
http://sites.google.com/site/mikefocke2/checkenginelightcausedbymassairflowsensor

Previous: 01 Boxster in Arctic Silver, 86 944 in Guards Red
Boxtaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 07:52 AM   #3

Garage
easy... make sure you have a security torx. If you go to the zone they have a huge set of bits (all the weird ones that most sets dont have) and it runs ten bux or so.
Lobo1186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 04:13 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by 23109VC
My cars CEL came on recently, I checked the code.

P0102.

i saw elsewhere this is MAF related. can I just clean it or do I need to replacei t?

I cleared the code tonight..and am out for a drive tomorrow..i'll see if it comes back...

is cleaning the MAF an easy DIY?
I had the same error code come up a couple months back after a track day on my '98 Boxster. I used my Durametric tool to see what was going on, and it turned out that the MAF voltage reading never changed as the engine speed changed, indicating that the MAF needed to be replaced.

I tried cleaning the MAF first, but that wound up being a waste of $5 at the auto parts store.

Once I installed the new MAF, the voltage reading started fluctuating as expected, and my CEL went bye-bye.

If you have the Durametric tool, I would recommend using it to see what is actually causing the light to come on. If you don't have it, you should find out if someone nearby does, and would be willing to help you out. Or you could just buy it for yourself, if you are planning on keeping the car a while.

BC.

'98 Silver Boxster, '08 Ducati 848, '89 Honda Hawk GT, '89 Honda Pacific Coast
Bladecutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 08:47 PM   #5

what is a durametric tool? i have a code reader, but don't know what a durametric tool is..

i will look into cleaning my MAF and if that's not it, i'll have to break down and buy one.

is putting a new MAF in someting I can do easily myself or should I take it to my mechanic? I'm fairly mechanical....I can do brake pads, rotors, stuff like that, but I don't want to mess with jobs where if I made a mistake it would break something expensive....

my water pump - i let hte mechanic do. if it's that hard, i'll have him do it. if it's easy, i'll try it.

Boxster mods I've added: Rear speaker kit, Painted Calipers, Painted Bumperettes, Painted Center Console, 987 Shifter Assembly, 3 Spoke Steering Wheel, Clear side markers, 03+ rear lights, de-snorkeled.
Old 02-15-2010, 09:40 PM   #6
07 Carrera S Cab

Garage
Lol. Did you read the link I posted earlier? It provides the instructions on how to remove and clean your MAF. It is easy to both remove and clean the MAF. Just unscrew the two tamper proof torx screws, pull the MAF out, and unclip the electrical portion from it to release it. Reverse the process to put it back in. If you don't have a tamper proof torx bit set, you can buy one at a local auto parts store along with the MAF cleaner.

A Durametric tool is a more complete scan tool made specifically to read, diagnose, and clear trouble codes for the Porsche.

Previous: 01 Boxster in Arctic Silver, 86 944 in Guards Red
Boxtaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 10:15 PM   #7

FYI-

I cleared the code yesterday...the CEL went away.

I took the car out today for a drive and the CEL / same code, came back on within the first 30 min of driving.

car seems to run fine...

I finally READ that link... thanks. that answered a ton of my questions..and the job looks pretty easy.

I'll try cleaning it and see if that works. if not, i will look into replacing it... hopefully a cleaning will solve my problem. I have 78k miles on the car. I don't have a K&N filer or anythign like that, my airbox/filter are all OEM.

if my maf is bad and/or dirty - will clenaing it and/or repalcing it make any diffference in performance/driveability?

Old 02-16-2010, 04:56 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by 23109VC
I'll try cleaning it and see if that works. if not, i will look into replacing it... hopefully a cleaning will solve my problem. I have 78k miles on the car. I don't have a K&N filer or anythign like that, my airbox/filter are all OEM.

if my maf is bad and/or dirty - will clenaing it and/or repalcing it make any diffference in performance/driveability?
It truly does depend on the reason why the MAF is setting off the trouble code.
If its exactly the same issue as my car had, then cleaning the MAF won't have any effect, as the sensor was below range, and not responding to engine speed changes.

If its out of range, but is changing, then cleaning the MAF might be the answer.

Or it can be a truly different cause setting off the same code.

No one can know until the computer is hooked up, and the sensors are read.

BC.

'98 Silver Boxster, '08 Ducati 848, '89 Honda Hawk GT, '89 Honda Pacific Coast
Bladecutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 09:56 PM   #9

Mine original one on my 98 was replaced at about 80 k ,I tried cleaning the old one with maf cleaner that was a waste of $7 ,so I ordered a new one, with the new one in the car ran much nicer more power etc ,I would just get a new one

rd400rz is offline   Reply With Quote