Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-01-2010, 07:36 AM   #1

Hard top wont release - help!?

i've undone the front latch, and the drivers side red B-pillar lever, but here's the problem;

On the passenger side, when I move the red lever to the unlock position, nothing happens - the hardtop is not even raised slightly. The hard top is STUCK in the locked position.

on the drivers side its fine and raises maybe 2 inches and unlocks without problems on moving the red lever to the unlock position.

whats happened and what can be done?

Thanks in advance to anyone who offers advice.

emohawk11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 11:32 AM   #2

hmmmfff, no replies yet?
Old 02-01-2010, 07:04 PM   #3
Bry

I've never had mine stick, so all I can offer is a shot in the dark:
Maybe try having someone help pull the top while attempting to 'jiggle' the lever? I'm thinking of how sometimes the steering wheel can lock in place while parked, and it may take a jiggle in the opposite direction to loosen it up.
Bry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 09:13 PM   #4
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
Try jiggling it, and see if that helps. If not the lever may have broken, and the metal in the spinock is not spinning out, the only solution I can think of would be to use pliers.
Old 02-01-2010, 09:24 PM   #5

Garage
See if maybe the spinlock is rotating in the hole. If it is, you may be able to take the bolt out and remove the hard top with the spinlock still on the lockdown lever, or possibly tighten the bolt to get it to stop spinning (put lever in locked position first)

Last edited by Pirate50; 02-01-2010 at 09:26 PM. Reason: additional info
Pirate50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 02:18 AM   #6

Thanks for the replies.

I'l take a look today and let you know how I get on.
Old 02-02-2010, 05:34 AM   #7

Sometimes mine need a little help, they stick and don't always pop up by themselves. In the worse case scenario you will have to take out the bolt that holds the spinlock in. A bit tricky but not too difficult if you are patient.

'03 Midnight Blue
18" Chromes//Drilled and slotted rotors//pedal upgrade//Alum. Door sills//KSPORT Coilovers//Short Shifter/Strut braces/Clear sides/Hard Top/Speedster humps/Intake//Leather GT3 seats/REVO chip with SPS2
'04 CLK55 AMG 367HP!
'86 944 Guards Red & MINT!
'69 911 Black
PCA Member -Northern Ohio
Cancer Survivor
der Geist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 06:51 AM   #8

Apparently I need to remove a cover that sits below the spinlock (phillips screw), and then undo an Allen bolt without dropping it into the body of the car or something.

will be looking at it soon!
Old 03-25-2010, 02:33 PM   #9

For anyone who has the same problem - the pin had sheared in the B-pillar lever.

I managed to remove the B-pillar lever by drilling into it and using a stub set to remove. I could then move the B-pillar shaft and unlock the B-pillar from the chasis of the car.

An Engineer has said the pin will always sheer because the hole in the shaft is a larger diameter in the centre compared to the outside (hard to see without a picture).

I'm going to add a larger pin to the B-pillar as buying a new B-pillar it will just break again. Quite a dissapointing design from Porsche for what should be a simple & robust ever mechanism.