986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Performance and Technical Chat (http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/)
-   -   Hard top wont release - help!? (http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/23541-hard-top-wont-release-help.html)

emohawk11 02-01-2010 07:36 AM

Hard top wont release - help!?

i've undone the front latch, and the drivers side red B-pillar lever, but here's the problem;

On the passenger side, when I move the red lever to the unlock position, nothing happens - the hardtop is not even raised slightly. The hard top is STUCK in the locked position.

on the drivers side its fine and raises maybe 2 inches and unlocks without problems on moving the red lever to the unlock position.

whats happened and what can be done?

Thanks in advance to anyone who offers advice.

emohawk11 02-01-2010 11:32 AM

hmmmfff, no replies yet?

Bry 02-01-2010 07:04 PM

I've never had mine stick, so all I can offer is a shot in the dark:
Maybe try having someone help pull the top while attempting to 'jiggle' the lever? I'm thinking of how sometimes the steering wheel can lock in place while parked, and it may take a jiggle in the opposite direction to loosen it up.

rick3000 02-01-2010 09:13 PM

Try jiggling it, and see if that helps. If not the lever may have broken, and the metal in the spinock is not spinning out, the only solution I can think of would be to use pliers.

Pirate50 02-01-2010 09:24 PM

See if maybe the spinlock is rotating in the hole. If it is, you may be able to take the bolt out and remove the hard top with the spinlock still on the lockdown lever, or possibly tighten the bolt to get it to stop spinning (put lever in locked position first)

emohawk11 02-02-2010 02:18 AM

Thanks for the replies.

I'l take a look today and let you know how I get on.

der Geist 02-02-2010 05:34 AM

Sometimes mine need a little help, they stick and don't always pop up by themselves. In the worse case scenario you will have to take out the bolt that holds the spinlock in. A bit tricky but not too difficult if you are patient.

emohawk11 02-11-2010 06:51 AM

Apparently I need to remove a cover that sits below the spinlock (phillips screw), and then undo an Allen bolt without dropping it into the body of the car or something.

will be looking at it soon!

emohawk11 03-25-2010 02:33 PM

For anyone who has the same problem - the pin had sheared in the B-pillar lever.

I managed to remove the B-pillar lever by drilling into it and using a stub set to remove. I could then move the B-pillar shaft and unlock the B-pillar from the chasis of the car.

An Engineer has said the pin will always sheer because the hole in the shaft is a larger diameter in the centre compared to the outside (hard to see without a picture).

I'm going to add a larger pin to the B-pillar as buying a new B-pillar it will just break again. Quite a dissapointing design from Porsche for what should be a simple & robust ever mechanism.