Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-02-2010, 08:08 AM   #21

Garage
I suppose if you wanted to play a joke on the dealership you could go the other way and have an average speed of 237 mph!

landrovered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 08:46 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxonalden
Notice the section for "Ignitions (Range 1)." This vehicle shows "13958/917h" which means the vehicle has used the rev-limiter for 13,958 ignitions, the last time being at 917 hours. So this indicates the engine was red-lined often and the last time occurred recently since the engine only has 917 hours.
Hitting the rev limiter ≠ taking the engine to the redline. Instead, it indicates an inattentive and bad driver who doesn't know when to shift... or one who feels that it's faster to not shift for that split second before a braking.

The redline on the tach simply represents the safe cutoff on the high end of the engine operating range, and it is a perfectly good idea to use the entire range when necessary (or when it's not ) The rev limiter is for those times when you go over the redline, and it prevents you from revving the engine beyond spec.

Last edited by Samson; 02-02-2010 at 03:10 PM.
Samson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 09:44 AM   #23

You need to try that maneuver on the highway. That tiptronic is nuts. I never drove automatics before the boxster and even after 30K miles, the thing still scares the crap out of me when it downshifts at 75mph. I passed a semi on the highway the first night I had it. I gave it as much gas as I'd give the 911 to speed up quick and zip around him. I didn't realize the car would see that much throttle increase as a sign to downshift. It downshifted, probably hit 6K rpm, then upshifted again. Definitely not the smoothest little maneuver but I went from 75 to 95 in a hurry. I still haven't completely gotten used to the changing shift patterns of the tip.

On a similar but separate note, has anyone ever considered changing out the tip selector on the console for an older or new one? The older tips had the gear selector as a toggle on the center console instead of on the wheel. The new PDK's have both. I'm not real comfortable going around corners and trying to hit those little rocker switches on the wheel in the right direction. I'd be much more aggressive with the thing if there were the up/down toggle on the console.
ARModen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 01:27 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARModen
...On a similar but separate note, has anyone ever considered changing out the tip selector on the console for an older or new one? The older tips had the gear selector as a toggle on the center console instead of on the wheel...
Nope... that's incorrect. The early shift levers merely select between Auto and Man mode. You're confusing Tiptronic with Sportmatic!

Cheers!
1999 Porsche Boxster
(gone, but not forgotten)
http://i933.photobucket.com/albums/a...smiley-003.gif

Never drive faster than your Guardian Angel can fly!
Lil bastard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 03:45 AM   #25

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ARModen
You need to try that maneuver on the highway. That tiptronic is nuts. I never drove automatics before the boxster and even after 30K miles, the thing still scares the crap out of me when it downshifts at 75mph. I passed a semi on the highway the first night I had it. I gave it as much gas as I'd give the 911 to speed up quick and zip around him. I didn't realize the car would see that much throttle increase as a sign to downshift. It downshifted, probably hit 6K rpm, then upshifted again. Definitely not the smoothest little maneuver but I went from 75 to 95 in a hurry. I still haven't completely gotten used to the changing shift patterns of the tip.

On a similar but separate note, has anyone ever considered changing out the tip selector on the console for an older or new one? The older tips had the gear selector as a toggle on the center console instead of on the wheel. The new PDK's have both. I'm not real comfortable going around corners and trying to hit those little rocker switches on the wheel in the right direction. I'd be much more aggressive with the thing if there were the up/down toggle on the console.

Actually it shifted at 6400rpm, that's the peak horse power rpm before it starts to nose over. The Tiptronic is pretty smart, with your aggressive "I gave it as much gas as I'd give the 911 to speed up quick and zip around him" throttle response, the Tip gave you the best performance possible...and that's what you felt.
Old 02-06-2010, 07:37 AM   #26

Smile Boxster Redlined

Last year, I traded in my 2003 Boxster S for a 2009 Boxster S. Living in metro-NYC, I made the decision to go from a 6-speed manual to the new PDK.

PDK doesn't make it any less easy to redline, but it does make manual shifting seamless and effortless. Leaving PDK in auto mode and depressing the accelerator to the floor does give you head-jolting acceleration. I've never experienced anything like it. It's fantastic. I would love to have an S5 pull up next to me.
S-static is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 07:51 AM   #27

haha I am one of the only people in my group to have a sports car being a young kid, so I stupidly let my friend drive, if anyone knows northern NJ, he hit 113 on 208, 115 on 17 and then 118 on Palisades Parkway. I must admit that it was alot smoother than I would imagine.
pixlanish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 10:28 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel R
It is near impossible to do engine damage by revving too high in a tip. The computer will not shift down if it will push the engine past the rev limiter.

As other posters have said, missing 4th for 2nd or worse still, missing 3rd for 1st can cause big problems. The rev limiter cannot help you at all, as it is the wheels that push the revs up rather than the throttle which the computer controls, and you may bend a few valves.

In terms of pushing too hard, the rev limiter will cut in before any damage can be done. At times when I have been racing another car I occasionally flat shift 1st to second, ie. leave the accelerator flat to the floor to prevent the revs from dropping between gears. The motor just bounces off the limiter, sounds scary but no harm done to the motor (the clutch is a different story mind you, it overheats very quickly, hence why I gave up this practice).

Enjoy your boxster and drive it the way it was intended to be driven!

Hitting redline is perfectly fine (provided the motor is healthy and at operating temp). Over-revs, however, are not good. They stress the connecting rods, can actually stretch the rod bolts, and will usually show up as bearing wear in motors that have been over-revved. Furthermore, since these cars have hydraulic lifters, the valvetrain cannot keep up and it is very likely to get piston to valve contact, with its associated consequences.