986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Performance and Technical Chat (http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/)
-   -   Boxster Redlined (http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/23520-boxster-redlined.html)

pixlanish 01-31-2010 08:32 AM

Boxster Redlined

I have this 03 boxster its got about 70000 miles and i have it in trip... yeah i know.
but i was driving it today trying to race a s5 off a light, and so we start going and i try to blow past him by shifting down.. retarted as i am i didnt realize i was in 2nd gear so it went to first and the rpms went to 6500 the redline is between 7 and 8 thousand so it didnt touch it this happend yesterday i havent driven the car since do you think its fine should i drive easier for a few days what are your thoughts.

PlayersExpress 01-31-2010 08:48 AM

Its a porsche not a damn garage queen..... the cars were designed in mind for auto xing with high rpm... running it in redline for a few seconds did nothing to harm the car.

pixlanish 01-31-2010 09:06 AM

alright nice because i drove about 5 more mins after that and the car felt alot different.

cvhs18472 01-31-2010 10:09 AM

Maybe it has to do with the old expression about "blowing the carbon out". JK, Ed

landrovered 01-31-2010 10:25 AM

Placebo effect caused by guilt and adrenaline.

sd_boxster 01-31-2010 10:42 AM

Over-revving during a downshift is a great way to wreck your engine. It sounds like you didn't over-rev, since you say you only hit about 6500 RPM.

"I have it in trip" - does this mean it's an automatic that you were manually shifting? If so, the computer is not going to let you over-rev.

Either way, it doesn't sound like you have anything to worry about. When you say "the car felt a lot different" - what does that mean? Better? Worse?

Now, about the street racing thing...

mikefocke 01-31-2010 12:18 PM

The TIP has different programs

for shift points that it uses as it senses what kind of driving you do. Your downshift told it to go the the most aggressive program as opposed to the gas saver program. And as you drove normally if came out of that program and back to normal.

Don't rev it high until it is all warm.

tonycarreon 01-31-2010 12:35 PM

spank it. it liked it and it wants more. believe me.

dallison 01-31-2010 02:08 PM

you're fine

nola911 01-31-2010 02:19 PM

My old boxster hit the redline every time I took it for a ride. It never needed anything more than oil changes. Trust me, your not the first person to make a porsche hit 6k rpm

944boy 01-31-2010 03:39 PM

Porsches love to be at redline. I missed a downshift (2nd instead of 4th) at Cal Speedway and slightly over-revved it. By slightly I mean I hit stage 5 (<9500 rpm). 15k miles later and the motor is still happy. :cheers:

timothy 01-31-2010 08:23 PM

The first time my Boxster hit rev limiter at the track, I think my exact words were, "Crap, what is that?!". The DE instructor just laughed and told me to shift. That must have been 25k miles ago. The car is still running great and no doubt so is yours.

tnoice 02-01-2010 05:29 AM

never said who won during these shenanigans.
s5 or boxster??

kabel 02-01-2010 05:40 AM

In your situation a I am sure your engine and transmission is fine.

If it were a manual transmission redlining on acceleration is one thing because the engine will engage the rev-limiter, redlining / over-revving upon a down shift is different, the rev-limiter may not catch that, and there is potential for engine damage is that situation.

pixlanish 02-01-2010 05:53 AM

yeah mine is automatic
and i put it in manumatic mode and shifted down
haha and we were both neck to neck after the light turned green then i down shifted went up a little and then i got scared when it hit 6500 rpms and so i put it back into automatic and he went off.

Adam 02-01-2010 06:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pixlanish
i got scared when it hit 6500 rpms and so i put it back into automatic and he went off.

LOL............

root_werks 02-01-2010 09:14 AM

Makes me recall a time....some 16 years ago I had a 1970 911E. Grabbed 2nd instead of 4th on a backroad race. Oops, bent a handfull of valves on that one. But that was taching it out well over 10k rpms I'm sure. :cool:

Adam 02-01-2010 09:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 944boy
Porsches love to be at redline. I missed a downshift (2nd instead of 4th) at Cal Speedway and slightly over-revved it. By slightly I mean I hit stage 5 (<9500 rpm). 15k miles later and the motor is still happy. :cheers:

I've done the same thing with my Boxster a couple times. Was at redline in 3rd and grabbed 2nd instead of 4th. :rolleyes: Not sure exactly how high the revs reached since tach stops at 8,000 and I wasn't looking but I'm willing to venture around 8,500. :D She still runs great.

Daniel R 02-02-2010 12:02 AM

It is near impossible to do engine damage by revving too high in a tip. The computer will not shift down if it will push the engine past the rev limiter.

As other posters have said, missing 4th for 2nd or worse still, missing 3rd for 1st can cause big problems. The rev limiter cannot help you at all, as it is the wheels that push the revs up rather than the throttle which the computer controls, and you may bend a few valves.

In terms of pushing too hard, the rev limiter will cut in before any damage can be done. At times when I have been racing another car I occasionally flat shift 1st to second, ie. leave the accelerator flat to the floor to prevent the revs from dropping between gears. The motor just bounces off the limiter, sounds scary but no harm done to the motor (the clutch is a different story mind you, it overheats very quickly, hence why I gave up this practice).

Enjoy your boxster and drive it the way it was intended to be driven!

Jaxonalden 02-02-2010 07:46 AM

Just a reminder to all you “red line bangers” that big brother is watching. Our cars record parameters into a downloadable data base. This is taken from the Durametric web site (the laptop monitor snapshot will not paste);

• Notice the section for "Ignitions (Range 1)." This vehicle shows "13958/917h" which means the vehicle has used the rev-limiter for 13,958 ignitions, the last time being at 917 hours. So this indicates the engine was red-lined often and the last time occurred recently since the engine only has 917 hours.
• Notice the section for "Ignitions (Range 2)." This vehicle shows "1/48h" which means the vehicle exceeded the red line one time during 48 hours of operation. This is an example of a possible car a Porsche dealer will not perform warranty work on as this metric indicates abuse.
• If you ever look at an online auction for Porsche instrument panel clusters, you will see many of them for sale. Most of these clusters are not broken; many of them were replaced from lease vehicles to avoid paying excess mileage charges. From the example above, you can see that this engine has 917 hours in the "Operating Hours Section." This should be compared to the odometer to see if the number makes sense. If you divide the odometer mileage by the operating hours you will have an average MPH.
• Example: 12,000 Miles / 917 Operating Hours = 13 MPH
• Most cars will average between 30 - 50 MPH depending on how much traffic it is driven in so the value of 13 MPH indicates there could be a discrepancy

Food for thought.