Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-28-2010, 05:56 PM   #1

anyone add wheel spacers?

anyone who added wheel spacers to your boxster please post your thoughts ? with pics if possible.

do you recommend a certain size?

ok making this post. i realize there are alot of info on spacers already.

sorry for being lazy. im going with 5mm front and back. i know im conservative. is that even worth doing?

Last edited by embryoguy@mac.com; 01-28-2010 at 06:10 PM.
embryoguy@mac.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 09:22 PM   #2

I've got 5mm all the way around and it does make a slight difference. I had no choice though... my new rims required it to clear the ebrake line in the back wheels and I just added it to the fronts for good measure.

Fills out the wheel wells a bit. It's a good mod.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 10:59 PM   #3
Alex.11

Wheal spacer

Install wheel spacers by removing your wheels.
Lift the car with a jack, place a jack stand under the frame of the car.
Remove the wheel. Place the wheel spacer on the wheel studs and tighten them down with the nuts that came with them in the kit.
Replace the wheel and tighten the lug nuts.
Lower the car and repeat this step with the other three wheels.
Old 01-29-2010, 02:00 AM   #4

I did 7mm in the front and 14mm in the back and it looks great. Makes it look more aggressive that way. It goes well aesthetically if you have some sort of lowerings springs.

2003 Boxster S.... Schnell Short Throw Shifter, Xenons, 18" Carrera Lites, H & R Springs, 7mm/14mm spacers, Bose, Pioneer AVIC X710bt, Zeintop when it's cold
BeachBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 05:01 AM   #5

I think it's important to understand what year, model and current size wheels you have before anyone could intelligently answer your question.

What works for one's vehicle, may not be applicable to yours. I have 10 x18's on the rear of my car and wouldn't want the outer lip any further out for fear of rubbing the fender lip. I also had to tie back the e-brake cable on the inside due to rubbing.
PCA DE Instructor circa '95
jmatta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 08:45 AM   #6

I have been thinking about adding wheel spacers as well. Can you get away with the stock wheel bolts and 7mm spacers? What length wheel bolts are required for 7 and 14mm spacers?
tamarsha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 05:55 AM   #7

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmatta
I think it's important to understand what year, model and current size wheels you have before anyone could intelligently answer your question.

What works for one's vehicle, may not be applicable to yours. I have 10 x18's on the rear of my car and wouldn't want the outer lip any further out for fear of rubbing the fender lip. I also had to tie back the e-brake cable on the inside due to rubbing.
JMatta is correct. Every vehicle requires its own "application". First, there must be a baseline of information such as wheel size, offset, suspension characteristics ect.. in order to properly calculate how the addition of spacers will effect the vehicle. If changing the "look" or "stance" of the vehicle is the only motivating reason, bear in mind that most of the oem wheels are narrow in width along with very high offsets. Therefore, in some instances in order to widened the "track" of the vehicle one has to use a very large spacer. In my opinion, spacers are like "icing on the cake''. When all things are correct with regard to wheel fitment, spacers can be a great addition in terms of aesthetic enhancement or to improve clearance. However, using spacers to augment what is lacking in proper wheel fitment or suspension compatibility can prove to be a futile endeavor. As far as performance is concerned, that is a whole other discussion.
Johnny Danger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 11:29 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamarsha
I have been thinking about adding wheel spacers as well. Can you get away with the stock wheel bolts and 7mm spacers?
Definitely not. Not even with the 5mm that I also have all the way around as Porsche did with the Spec Ed 550.

Check out Ralph Boothe and others. This has been covered before.
PCA since 1970
70Sixter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 08:57 AM   #9

Thank for all who replied to this post. Forgot about it and just found it again. Revisiting the idea of adding spacers. Thank you again for everyones insight. I have stock factory 18 wheels with no changes to suspension. Purely for aesthetic reasons is my motivation. Can anyone recommend a brand ? The OEM spacers are only 5 mms which I find pointless to even add.
Old 04-08-2015, 09:12 AM   #10

No need to reply. Search engine gave me the info needed. Thank you.
Old 04-08-2015, 09:13 AM   #11

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by embryoguy@mac.com View Post
Thank for all who replied to this post. Forgot about it and just found it again. Revisiting the idea of adding spacers. Thank you again for everyones insight. I have stock factory 18 wheels with no changes to suspension. Purely for aesthetic reasons is my motivation. Can anyone recommend a brand ? The OEM spacers are only 5 mms which I find pointless to even add.
your best resource for this is ecs tuning dot com. you can get the complete stud/spacer kit. Watch their video to determine what size...
Dlirium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 03:16 PM   #12

8 and 12mm from ECS

Just about perfect
WillH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 05:17 PM   #13

I added some so my winter wheels would fit. I purchased them here from a sponsor.

gomarlins3 is offline   Reply With Quote