Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-04-2015, 04:00 PM   #1

Emissions test

Here in Ontario, Canada, we have a little thing called an e-test (emissions testing). Every two years you have to run your car through if it's between certain model years. As my ride just came out of storage, is there anything I need to do to help pass? The gas in it has been sitting since Nov (with a few drops of antigel). Thoughts or suggestions? Needs to pass before I can renew my sticker. Lousy January birthdays....

Old 04-04-2015, 04:06 PM   #2
Need For Speed

Garage
Can you get your hands on some of this?

Guaranteed To PassŪ Emissions Test Formula, 12 Fl Oz - Product Information
Old 04-04-2015, 05:32 PM   #3

What do they do to test the car? Connect electronically or do an exhaust sniff?

Any check engine lights? Have you checked with an OBD2 code reader to see if there are any recent codes or even pending ones?

The typical suggestion is drive it a bit and deliver it to a place that will test it immediately...while warm.

Most of the miracle solvents are nothing but trouble.
mikefocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 06:33 PM   #4
Need For Speed

Garage
Curious Mike, how are they trouble?

I add 104 Octane Boost with complete fuel system cleaner every 3rd fill up and CRC complete fuel system cleaner every oil change and my car is a daily driver.

I want to keep my fuel system clean.
Old 04-05-2015, 03:41 AM   #5
still plays with cars...

Garage
Giller,
What mikefocke said.
Fill up with fresh fuel and drive it a bit to shake things out. If you take it in right away, it may not pass because emissions devices haven't cycled for months, and they need to signal to the DME that they are working.
You shouldn't have any major problem if you don't have a CEL lit up.
Since yours is newer than MY 2000, you will get an electronic scan. I still wouldn't change oil until afterward, though. Fresh oil is more volatile, and can cause a fail in some cases.
I had it happen years back with the previous summer car, and the guy at the test centre said it's not a common issue, but that I had to put some miles on and then do a re-test after the oil burned off a bit. Fresh stuff overworked the cats, he said.
A good 45 minute warm-up run should be enough.
Best of luck.
Arctic Silver on Metropol Blue | LN Dual Row IMSR | Arctic Silver console, spoiler frame & bumperettes | Crios mod | Technobrace | RoboTop module & modified convertible top relay for one-touch roof operation
BoxsterSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 04:14 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxsterSteve View Post
Giller,
What mikefocke said.
Fill up with fresh fuel and drive it a bit to shake things out. If you take it in right away, it may not pass because emissions devices haven't cycled for months, and they need to signal to the DME that they are working.
You shouldn't have any major problem if you don't have a CEL lit up.
Since yours is newer than MY 2000, you will get an electronic scan. I still wouldn't change oil until afterward, though. Fresh oil is more volatile, and can cause a fail in some cases.
I had it happen years back with the previous summer car, and the guy at the test centre said it's not a common issue, but that I had to put some miles on and then do a re-test after the oil burned off a bit. Fresh stuff overworked the cats, he said.
A good 45 minute warm-up run should be enough.
Best of luck.
I didn't realize it was an electronic test, always assumed it was tailpipe. So really, it's just about getting the computer reconditioned. I guess this is where it comes in handy to leave the battery in the car all winter so it doesn't reset the info, correct? So a good drive to shake it out should do it then. Cool.
Old 04-05-2015, 04:20 AM   #7
still plays with cars...

Garage
Yep,
The tailpipe/dyno test is for older cars. Can't say why the split is at this point.
Arctic Silver on Metropol Blue | LN Dual Row IMSR | Arctic Silver console, spoiler frame & bumperettes | Crios mod | Technobrace | RoboTop module & modified convertible top relay for one-touch roof operation
BoxsterSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 07:36 AM   #8
Registered Boxster abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxsterSteve View Post
Yep,
The tailpipe/dyno test is for older cars. Can't say why the split is at this point.
Tailpipe test on older cars because OBD2 system is not universally installed in all cars as of yet and not all the info on all cars are accessible easily threw the port before that time on all cars
healthservices is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 10:22 AM   #9
Certified Boxster Addict

If your car is well maintained, you shouldn't have any problem passing an electronic only test. If the battery has been maintained all winter to avoid an ECU reset, then you are probably good to go.
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 04:51 PM   #10

Garage
They will do both an ecu check, and a tail pipe sniffer check. Make sure you get the cat converter nice and hot. It works better hot. If disconnecting the battery has truly erased the ecu, then you'll want to drive it around for a week or two to uild up some historical info in the ecu (ask me how I know). If you fail, most places will let you do a retest for $10 after a few days. Good luck.

Tony