View Single Post
Old 01-30-2010, 05:55 AM   #7
Johnny Danger

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmatta
I think it's important to understand what year, model and current size wheels you have before anyone could intelligently answer your question.

What works for one's vehicle, may not be applicable to yours. I have 10 x18's on the rear of my car and wouldn't want the outer lip any further out for fear of rubbing the fender lip. I also had to tie back the e-brake cable on the inside due to rubbing.
JMatta is correct. Every vehicle requires its own "application". First, there must be a baseline of information such as wheel size, offset, suspension characteristics ect.. in order to properly calculate how the addition of spacers will effect the vehicle. If changing the "look" or "stance" of the vehicle is the only motivating reason, bear in mind that most of the oem wheels are narrow in width along with very high offsets. Therefore, in some instances in order to widened the "track" of the vehicle one has to use a very large spacer. In my opinion, spacers are like "icing on the cake''. When all things are correct with regard to wheel fitment, spacers can be a great addition in terms of aesthetic enhancement or to improve clearance. However, using spacers to augment what is lacking in proper wheel fitment or suspension compatibility can prove to be a futile endeavor. As far as performance is concerned, that is a whole other discussion.
Johnny Danger is offline   Reply With Quote