Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-28-2010, 02:38 PM   #1

Windows go down, but not up! Help!

Ok, every once in awhile (very rare) I can get the windows to come up. Even when I am lucky, they will only go up as far as they do when the top is down. They will go down fine. When they won't go up, you don't hear a thing coming from them, but if you push the down button (when they are already down), you hear a "click."

I don't think it's the motor because both doors do the exact same thing! When they want to work, they both do. When they don't want to work, they both dont!

I have heard that the convertible top sensor may cause some of these problems? Where is it located at? Even if it was the sensor, wouldn't the windows still come up to the "top down" point?

This is just about the last of the bugs I am working out of this '99 Box! Can't wait to figure this one out!

cliptfc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 03:24 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by cliptfc
Ok, every once in awhile (very rare) I can get the windows to come up. Even when I am lucky, they will only go up as far as they do when the top is down. They will go down fine. When they won't go up, you don't hear a thing coming from them, but if you push the down button (when they are already down), you hear a "click."

I don't think it's the motor because both doors do the exact same thing! When they want to work, they both do. When they don't want to work, they both dont!

I have heard that the convertible top sensor may cause some of these problems? Where is it located at? Even if it was the sensor, wouldn't the windows still come up to the "top down" point?

This is just about the last of the bugs I am working out of this '99 Box! Can't wait to figure this one out!
Is your "convertible top open" idiot light on? If so, the windows will not stay up all the way, but will automatically retract by about 4 inches.

The same will happen, even if the light is off, if one of the two microswitches that are located in the latch receptacle at the top center of the windshield frame is broken or intermittent.

Stick your finger or a pencil in that receptacle and try the windows to see if they stay up (once you get them all the way up). If you release the pressure on that point and the windows immediately drop down, then that one (of the two in there) microswitch is suspect.

Regards, Maurice.
schoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 06:23 PM   #3

I think the microswitches are working fine. I tried what you said, and the windows still would not come up. Is there a relay for the windows? Could that have gone out?

cliptfc is offline   Reply With Quote