Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-30-2009, 05:15 AM   #1

The best performance modification that I have made to my Boxster-S to date!

I was researching the web and read the write up on Pedro’s garage about his Techno Torque2. I recall another article that I read earlier this year in one of the European Automobile magazines about the Cayman-S with IPD plenum and sport exhaust upgrade. So after Googling a bit more I found several IPD plenum kits for the 911’s, Boxster (3.4L), and Caymans but not for Boxster 3.2L. So I found the phone number for Mike at IPD, he is the designer/developer and had a good conversation about his 3.2L solution. He eMailed me back with his new 3.2L setup that he recently developed for a customer in England for his 2001 Boxster-S.

This setup includes an upgraded throttle body from 75mm to 80mm and a 3.4L Cayman-S IPD plenum with huge silicon hoses to replace the restricted factory intake hose. I believe it is all about the science of air flow, the bigger throttle body and the large silicon hoses get more air in and then through a larger plenum with Mike’s patented design to get the air flow distributed evenly and quicker to each bank. The result is lots of torque, and you can feel it more than any other modification that you may have made to your car (of course except for putting turbo or super charger kit).

Here are my existing modifications before IPD upgrade:
  • EVO cold air intake
  • Competition headers (no cats)
  • By pass pipes
  • - FVD sport muffler (the best damn muffler in the market, I had them all before this one; best sound, best performance)
  • ECU upgrade
  • PSS9 shocks
The installation was very easy and you can do it within one hour and it is all plug and play. After the install, the first thing you notice that the car will not struggle to rev up from 4000 to 7000 RPM and the power comes fast and it keeps going faster. Before the IPD upgrade, above 4800 RPM, I felt the car was running out of breath. Now it does not. Also, there is more torque than before, you notice this when you shift the gears and the rear of the car deeps more even with my PSS9 suspension. The last piece which was icing on the cake is the improved fuel economy. I am getting 2+ mpg more on the highway with the IPD setup than before. I measure my mpg regularly on the highway. I am planning to dyno the car next week and will post the results.

I have some great pictures for you to see the difference between standard equipment and the IPD setup for 3.2L. If you are interested let me know and I hook you up with Mike at IPD. I am not sure if he has the 3.2L kit distributed to his dealer network yet. There are several distributors that sell IPD gear. You can contact me at kias@tampabay.rr.com.

B&M short shifter
IPD Cayman-S Plenum
80mm Throttle Body
FVD Sport Muffler
Fabspeed catbypass
EVO Intake
PSS9
Light flywheel and Sach stage II clutch
Front/Rear Strut Brace
Undetectable K40/3
Rear Defuser
Rear spoiler
kias@tampabay.rr.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 08:22 AM   #2
dalealan2001

Great info. How much did the kit cost? How long did it take to install?
Old 12-30-2009, 08:40 AM   #3

Very interesting write-up. Seems providing more air could be a good thing, as long as the ECU knows what to do with it and you have an exhaust that lets the air flow through the system.

Any experts out there that wish to comment? Has Jake Raby tried the larger plenum on his engines?
PCA DE Instructor circa '95
jmatta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 09:48 AM   #4
Track rat

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmatta
Very interesting write-up. Seems providing more air could be a good thing, as long as the ECU knows what to do with it and you have an exhaust that lets the air flow through the system.

Any experts out there that wish to comment? Has Jake Raby tried the larger plenum on his engines?
Good points jmatta,

I am certainly no expert. Just an old hot-rodder who has tuned a lot of cars and bikes. In my experience tuning an intake is a balance between air volume, air velocity, and intake resonant frequency. If you get these things right you are rewarded with faster lap times.

Also you need to consider your goals. A 1/4 mile car may want to maximize hp near redline to improve top speed through the trap. A road race car may choose to maximize a wide torque curve for better corner exit speed. These two intakes would probably look very different. Bigger isn't always better depending on your end goals.

The IPD plenum and the Pedro Techno-torque are interesting because they appear to improve intake velocity. Any time you can reduce or eliminate flat surfaces or right angles tends to improve velocity. The proof is found in measurable results. Improved dyno curves are good, faster lap times are better.

Would I use one on my car ? Nope. I compete in a spec class which requires stock intakes. But I do find these designs interesting.
Old 12-30-2009, 10:02 AM   #5

The stock ECU will adjust for the changes within the first 50 miles or so. No need to remap the ECU for this modification.
B&M short shifter
IPD Cayman-S Plenum
80mm Throttle Body
FVD Sport Muffler
Fabspeed catbypass
EVO Intake
PSS9
Front/Rear Strut Brace
Undetectable K40/3
Rear Defuser
Rear spoiler
Old 12-30-2009, 10:18 AM   #6

If you guys interested, just eMail: sales@roadsportsupply.com

He has 2.7L and 3.2L kits for Boxster.
B&M short shifter
IPD Cayman-S Plenum
80mm Throttle Body
FVD Sport Muffler
Fabspeed catbypass
EVO Intake
PSS9
Front/Rear Strut Brace
Undetectable K40/3
Rear Defuser
Rear spoiler
Old 12-30-2009, 12:08 PM   #7

Strange how the exact same post (verbatim) appears on several websites on the same day..........

Under different names, but same post with the same pictures..............all promoting the same product...................and suggesting you contact the same email address for more info…………..and yet forgets to mention this plenum costs $900………….
JFP in PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 01:54 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFP in PA
Strange how the exact same post (verbatim) appears on several websites on the same day..........

Under different names, but same post with the same pictures..............all promoting the same product...................and suggesting you contact the same email address for more info…………..and yet forgets to mention this plenum costs $900………….
I have posted the same exact information on the websites that I am a member. Why do I need to mention price (is that you requirement?), if you need to buy it do it. I am not on commissions on this nor do I want to be a sales person for this product. Just try to share my exprience with this product, I like to know the same thing if some one else had the same experience. If I known about some of the other products that I have purchased with feedback, I could have saved some money.
B&M short shifter
IPD Cayman-S Plenum
80mm Throttle Body
FVD Sport Muffler
Fabspeed catbypass
EVO Intake
PSS9
Front/Rear Strut Brace
Undetectable K40/3
Rear Defuser
Rear spoiler
Old 12-30-2009, 01:54 PM   #9
Track rat

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFP in PA

Spamorama!
Good eye JFP
Old 12-30-2009, 02:08 PM   #10

Other boards have already deleted the thread for obvious reasons.............
Old 12-31-2009, 05:51 AM   #11

I didn't take it as spam, just a member sharing an update that he found interesting...and it is. I'm a fairly good track driver (and instructor), but I don't have great knowledge of how to improve upon the application Porsche has given us...I rely upon the "techies" that post on this board; JFP being one of them.
PCA DE Instructor circa '95
jmatta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 06:31 AM   #12

Garage
thats interesting I always looked at an engine like a breathing person. The more Air you can get the better. (IE for runners the better their body can get the air to the blood stream etc the better) I didnt know there was more to it than just volume available to the engine.
Lobo1186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 06:41 AM   #13

First, let me be direct about this plenum: I have no personal experience with it. The concept of creating a smoother flow path often has merit; but not always. That said, before I would even remotely consider popping nearly a grand for it, I would need to see some unbiased performance data.

Intake or cylinder head “improvements” are typically developed on a flow bench, which reproduces the flow under vacuum conditions that occur in an engine. A flow bench can accurately reproduce and quantify the slightest increase in flow. These are the devices used to develop the concept of canting the intake valves slightly (literally a couple of degrees off axis) on race engines to improve cylinder filling and flow. Flow benches can be used to detect the changes brought on by just altering the finish on and an intake’s interior; they are that sensitive.

Once optimized on a flow bench, the plenum should be subjected to extensive dyno pulls. Anyone that has been seriously involved in the development of racing components will tell you that improving flow does not always translate into more usable power; in fact, sometimes really high flowing intakes do not make more power, or at least not in a usable RPM range. And sometimes what seemed like a good idea actually makes things worse……….

Once the developer has “paid their dues” and come up with a proven concept, the next step would be to get some units into the hands of what marketer’s call “early adopters”, those that are willing to take a chance on a new technology, but are independent of the product’s developer(s) and have some level of credibility in the community. These early adopters then beat the Hell out of the component to either prove or disprove its relative merit.

So far, all I have seen for this component are shaky and undocumented tests done by anonymous individuals of unknown relationship to the developer posted on the net. That really does not “cut the mustard” on proving the component does anything positive………………..
Old 12-31-2009, 07:38 AM   #14

Garage
This was a plenum that was manufactured in Spain. It was called the "Techno Toro". Unfortunately, early dyno testing proved it to be very restrictive.
Johnny Danger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 09:17 AM   #15
07 Carrera S Cab

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Danger
This was a plenum that was manufactured in Spain. It was called the "Techno Toro". Unfortunately, early dyno testing proved it to be very restrictive.
Is the horn being pushed or sucked thru for maximum airflow?

Previous: 01 Boxster in Arctic Silver, 86 944 in Guards Red
Boxtaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 10:34 AM   #16

It is made in the USA (California) and has a patent pending on it with stamp "Made in USA" on the die cast. The diameter of this plenum is 0.5" larger than stock plenum on each side. Go to utube and there are several dynos on the Porsches with this pelnum. You can even see how big this plenum is compare to stock. Pedro's Torque2 has identical design inside except with plastic glued to the stock pelnum. There is even patent pending on the design submitted by the IPD which is U.S. company.
B&M short shifter
IPD Cayman-S Plenum
80mm Throttle Body
FVD Sport Muffler
Fabspeed catbypass
EVO Intake
PSS9
Front/Rear Strut Brace
Undetectable K40/3
Rear Defuser
Rear spoiler
Old 12-31-2009, 11:29 AM   #17

Send a message via AIM to blinkwatt
I thought Pedro's was glued and screwed?

Wouldn't it only make sense to increase the diameter of the plenum if the intakes,throttle body and air filter system were increased as well?
Old 12-31-2009, 11:43 AM   #18

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxtaboy
Is the horn being pushed or sucked thru for maximum airflow?
I believe the term "ram induction" was used.
Johnny Danger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 11:54 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by kias@tampabay.rr.com
Pedro's Torque2 has identical design inside except with plastic glued to the stock pelnum.
For 4x the bucks does the IPD deliver 4x the performance of Pedro's?

On this test of a Cayman S published in European Car, they measured:

Baseline
Peak wheel-horsepower: 260 @ 6200 rpm
Peak wheel torque: 223 lb-ft @ 4400 rpm

Maximum power gain: 13 whp @ 5900 rpm
Maximum torque gain: 13 lb-ft @ 5900 rpm

http://www.europeancarweb.com/features/epcp_0808_porsche_cayman_s_proven_power_adders/index.html

Can one feel this ~5% peak gain "seat of the pants"? Very likely. Is this going to produce dramatic real world performance improvements for a street car to justify the cost? Doubtful, but let's see some objective tests.
gschotland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 12:31 PM   #20

Send a message via AIM to blinkwatt
Quote:
Originally Posted by gschotland
On this test of a Cayman S published in European Car, they measured:

Baseline
Peak wheel-horsepower: 260 @ 6200 rpm
Peak wheel torque: 223 lb-ft @ 4400 rpm

Maximum power gain: 13 whp @ 5900 rpm
Maximum torque gain: 13 lb-ft @ 5900 rpm

http://www.europeancarweb.com/features/epcp_0808_porsche_cayman_s_proven_power_adders/index.html
Those graphs look like they were made in Excel,not on a Dynojet or Mustang dyno.

Why does it vary so much from what they claim?!
http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/boxster-cayman/83635-new-ipd-cayman-s-plenum-rss.html

They also don't list the variables;gas,,if the car's ECU was reset,other mods and such.(on the 6speedonline)

Last edited by blinkwatt; 12-31-2009 at 12:38 PM.
blinkwatt is offline   Reply With Quote