Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-11-2009, 01:50 AM   #1

Expensive Porsche Battery

I thought some members would enjoy this link:

http://jalopnik.com/5422745/porsche-charging-1700-for-one-****************ing-battery

Sorry about the Fword in the link. Jalopnik picked it not me.

It is tempting, but $1700 for a car battery? I don't think so.

Mark

MarkOfZero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 04:15 AM   #2

Garage
That is only like 12 new Optimas, I say go for it!
landrovered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 04:45 PM   #3

i can tape 4 d batteries together For $10 inculing the duct tape
dallison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 08:46 PM   #4

Cool Porsche Battery

well folks,
all i can say is there's always a *%$#@** born everyday.. if these people can afford and don't know any better, then good for them...
Can't blame the stealership all the time.. they are there to make $$$$ and that's all there is... imagine if they are not around.. where would you order your Porsche from ? direct from the factory ?
so to each it's own ! People would eventually learn , or some would never learn? just keep on paying for tuition until they learn !
Battery for $1700 ?? that should include the salesperson that sold him that !
t2-bxtrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 08:50 AM   #5

Garage
idk in the world of porsche... its not that bad. PCCB system according to suncoast retails at 25,000 dollars. makes this battery look like a steal.
Lobo1186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 06:54 PM   #6

So, IF you were to buy this battery you would be a FN Retard. bottom line.
Old 12-21-2009, 04:36 AM   #7

It looks pretty light, I'm going to buy one, let's get a fund together for my pre and post installation dyno, a few pounds might be the ticket for better acceleration...

Does seem like a waste of $$ then again, somewhere in this world this morning a billionaire is crapping into a gold bowl...
eightsandaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 07:56 AM   #8

Helpful Hint

I use an indy mechanic and get my parts from Pelican and Suncoast, but for those who may be new to this board, here's a helpful hint.
Whenever you go to your local friendly Porsche dealer for parts or service be sure to take a large tube of KY Jelly. You're still going to get serviced, but it will hurt a little less. If the battery or other part says PORSCHE in big bright letters it's gonna hurt when you hit the cash register.
I've driven Porsches for twenty-five years and can't stand the thought of not having one, but you've got to be smart and use your options when buying parts or service.
schnellman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 10:16 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by schnellman
I use an indy mechanic and get my parts from Pelican and Suncoast, but for those who may be new to this board, here's a helpful hint.
Whenever you go to your local friendly Porsche dealer for parts or service be sure to take a large tube of KY Jelly. You're still going to get serviced, but it will hurt a little less. If the battery or other part says PORSCHE in big bright letters it's gonna hurt when you hit the cash register.
I've driven Porsches for twenty-five years and can't stand the thought of not having one, but you've got to be smart and use your options when buying parts or service.

Very "on point" commentary, O2 sensors come to mind as one example where some splicing and heat shrink tubing can save serious dollars.
Old 12-21-2009, 03:59 PM   #10

Bought a new battery at AutoZone yesterday. $104 plus tax. A battery from any stealership in town was $210!!! Plus, I hear the Pcar batteries aren't that good.

The big kicker was the fact that the batteries had the same specs and the Porsche battery was five pounds heavier than the replacement brand. Sheesh!

I wanted a Costco battery but they didn't have them in stock, couldn't/wouldn't order one for me, and had no friggin' idea when they would get some in stock. I hate that.

Sure was nice to get in and fire it right up on the first turn of the crank. Nothing beats a brand new battery or brand new tires.

BTW, I refuse to buy anything from the stealership parts counter in Houston. I work too hard for my money to give them 250% of retail on most items. Yes, it's really that bad.

Last edited by RandallNeighbour; 12-21-2009 at 04:03 PM.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 09:17 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandallNeighbour
Bought a new battery at AutoZone yesterday. $104 plus tax. A battery from any stealership in town was $210!!! Plus, I hear the Pcar batteries aren't that good.

The big kicker was the fact that the batteries had the same specs and the Porsche battery was five pounds heavier than the replacement brand. Sheesh!

I wanted a Costco battery but they didn't have them in stock, couldn't/wouldn't order one for me, and had no friggin' idea when they would get some in stock. I hate that.

Sure was nice to get in and fire it right up on the first turn of the crank. Nothing beats a brand new battery or brand new tires.

BTW, I refuse to buy anything from the stealership parts counter in Houston. I work too hard for my money to give them 250% of retail on most items. Yes, it's really that bad.

My former boss had purchased two new cars from the local Porsche dealer I had a radio code issue at the time, he said to tell them who I am and where I work when asking for an assist. They never helped me, wanted serious cash to do so, then the seller came through, Porsche dealers are snobby bastards for the most part.
Old 12-22-2009, 12:26 PM   #12

My S is in due for a new battery and I am gonna to use a Red Top Optima. I have read some negative opinions on using this type of battery. I have used these batteries in BMW's & Honda's. 1 of them is going on 7 years and still working great despite being accidentally completely drained about 5 times. Any reason why I shouldn' t use one in my Boxster?
Old 12-28-2009, 09:29 AM   #13

i just purchased a maxx battery from wal-mart (yes wal-mart) for $75 and 3 year free replacement.
dallison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 10:11 AM   #14

AutoZone Gold-Seal batteries all come with a very long warranty, but most importantly 36 month free replacement. I don't know how long they'll live in a Boxster, but in most front engine FWD cars, NOTHING lasts three years, so it's a lifetime of free replacement batteries. My Acura dealer turned me on to them.
Old 12-28-2009, 10:53 AM   #15

Optimas are great batteries. I put a 34R? reverse post in my 986 just as soon as the original gave up the ghost. When I was restoring my old 911 I went through three or four flooded batteries over the course of several years. When I finally bought an Optima I never had another engine cranking issue due to a weak battery. And they don't spew acid all over your body work. After replacing two gas tank support pans in early cars I swore I'd never rely on a vented battery again. I've a friend with an Elise using a Braille battery and he's extremely proud of that energy source but has to keep in on a maintainer if he's not going to drive the Lotus for more than a week. Be thankful that we have room to use a nice large battery in the Boxster / Cayman series. Buy what you like but the Optima's are, in my opinion, amazing.
Keith Newby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 11:24 AM   #16

Send a message via AIM to blinkwatt
Pulled this from the comments....'If you build it,... they will come! I am a geek for Porsche's. But im not rich, so I make do with what I got. Just got rid of my project 356 rusty ass roller for about 5k more then my 99 boxster is worth. Just couldn't afford to restore it. When the boxster breaks.... I fix it (dealers are on crack). And when it breaks, I drive my Lemons Gti... That I was going to sell for extra Christmas money, but came to my senses.
Even though I drive the "chick car" Porsche, it rocks! The stigma of this mark is that I should have a dildo for a hood ornament. This kid pulled up next to me at light in his fast and furious civic... vibed me, then said "cant afford a 911"? I replied "cant afford an accord"? And blew his folger can into oblivion.
Maybe now that VW owns majority they will come out with more of a "peoples car" and people prices?'