Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-18-2009, 08:48 AM   #1

another white smoke thread...i need help

sorry to write up another thread on this but i need help ...upon starting alot of white smoke comes out the exhaust for about 10-15 seconds after that car drives fine no problems at all when i leave the car parked for a few hours or over night again it happens ...i read so many threads on this topic im more confused now then when i started ....should i replace the aos or head gasket or valve guide ....i went to a mechanic and he told me it would be a 4 to 5 thousand dollar job ..no sure if because he saw it was a porsche but i almost had a heart attack ....im located in nyc if anyone has a good mechanic ....thanks jay

sabachi20@aol.com or 1-646-281-5226

sabachi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 09:07 AM   #2

What did the mechanic tell you he was going to do for $4000 - $5000? Or was that based on you pulling up in a Porsche and telling him it smokes?

I think you're going to hear a number of "start with the AOS" replies - it's a likely culprit and relatively cheap to do, so why not cross it off of the list of suspects?

Jake - if you're reading this - didn't you chime in on a thread recently about using a catch can instead of an AOS? Anyone know what ever became of that idea?
Old 09-18-2009, 09:08 AM   #3

Send a message via AIM to blinkwatt
Dude just replace the AOS to start. It's only $100 from Sunset Imports. Couldn't hurt.
Old 09-18-2009, 09:26 AM   #4

I plan on replacing my AOS this weekend, there is a great write-up with pics on the forum.

Ed

2000 2.7L Boxster 102K; TTP intake, headers, high-flow cats; Dansk high-flow muffler; Autothority ECU chip; TechnoTorque 2; Bilstein coilovers; Racing Dynamics strut brace; stress-bar suspension kit; Aasco lightweight flywheel, B&M short shiftkit; 18" wheels; spare tire delete; OEM GT3 seats; JL audio speakers and subwoofer; Alpine PDX-5/PDX-2 amps; Kenwood DNX8120 CD/DVD/Nav; litronics, deambered
edevlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 05:29 PM   #5

try changing to a heavier wt oil

For what it's worth, I recently had my oil changed from 5w 30 to 10w 40 (by Jake) and it resolved by smoke issues.
jbox53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 05:27 PM   #6

Hope its just the aos
Im in a similar boat as you
My check engine light came on a week ago.
checked the filler cap and its tight
today I started seeing smoke on start up then it goes away.
I will be heading to my local porscheA mechanic tomorrow to see what he says.....

*crossing fingers

Last edited by box321; 09-20-2009 at 06:02 PM.
box321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 05:44 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by box321
Hope its just the aos
Im the a similar boat as you
My check engine light came on a week ago.
checked the fillet cap and its tight
today I started seeing smoke on start up then it goes away.
I will be heading to my local porscheA mechanic tomorrow to see what he says.....

*crossing fingers

After the smoke clears, does she run good? If the answer is yes and the oil and coolant appear as normal, not corrupted by each other, I'd certainly cross off head gasket.
eightsandaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 06:01 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by eightsandaces
After the smoke clears, does she run good? If the answer is yes and the oil and coolant appear as normal, not corrupted by each other, I'd certainly cross off head gasket.
since it just happened today I have not gotten a chance to check the oil/coolant
but ..
yessir it runs perfectly after the smoke clears.
like normal
Old 09-21-2009, 04:25 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by box321
since it just happened today I have not gotten a chance to check the oil/coolant
but ..
yessir it runs perfectly after the smoke clears.
like normal

Well I'd say it's the AOS, make sure you don't have the oil overfilled as well. BTW, regarding the AOS, even when that device is new the box engine is going to puff smoke, it's inherent in the flat six layout. Since we all own regular vehicles that only smoke in cold weather, my theory is we are overly sensitive to Boxster smoke because no other cars really do that, just my two cents.
Old 09-21-2009, 05:01 AM   #10

I don't want to try and hijack this thread but think Ive had a similar problem, Driving down the highway yesterday and I got a james bond smoke screen effect. Goes away, for a 1/4 of a mile, I see the exit is less than a mile away, intermittently I see bursts until I get off the exit. Stop and turn the car off, restart and blast of white smoke that cleared the garage out that I pulled in next to. I noticed the oil light was on as I was getting off the off ramp. Car idles fine haven't let it run more than a sec to pull it onto the trailer and to back it off into my garage. To my senses the smoke was white, and the car lost no power or idled funny, the coolant tank was pressurized for a while after I shut it down Which I would think wouldn't be the case in a blown head gasket. But I am not sure since the smoke was white. I have been getting the puff on cold starts but it is usually blue and looks like burnt oil.
ltaudio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 06:42 AM   #11

I would think highway speed on throttle smoke would be the engine burning oil, although I'm not sure how the AOS functions in total, perhaps it suppresses smoke at all speeds. Given the cost of the alternatives, I'd certainly gamble on a new AOS before a service call.
Old 09-21-2009, 10:41 AM   #12

okay just came back from the dealer he said the aos is bad and the oil filler tube is has a leak ...now im happy and paid for the peices since they didnt have them in stock i have to wait ...i drove home got to the front of my house and now the car doesnt stop smoking lol my luck...so anyone having the same problem change your aos nowwww
sabachi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 01:00 PM   #13

"okay just came back from the dealer he said the aos is bad and the oil filler tube is has a leak"

Is there a way to diagnose an oil filter tube vacuum leak?. I think I have eithor have a vacuum leak somewhere or a bad MAF. Getting gurggling and popping on cold startup and I think my mpg may be going down, though its hard to tell as I have been driving with a heavy foot these days.

Ed

2000 2.7L Boxster 102K; TTP intake, headers, high-flow cats; Dansk high-flow muffler; Autothority ECU chip; TechnoTorque 2; Bilstein coilovers; Racing Dynamics strut brace; stress-bar suspension kit; Aasco lightweight flywheel, B&M short shiftkit; 18" wheels; spare tire delete; OEM GT3 seats; JL audio speakers and subwoofer; Alpine PDX-5/PDX-2 amps; Kenwood DNX8120 CD/DVD/Nav; litronics, deambered
Old 09-22-2009, 04:05 AM   #14

replaced the AOS and upon re-firing the smoke machine re emerged, it idled rather well and so I gave the throttle a few light taps and eventually the smoke died out. I checked the levels and they are all fine the only issue is there is a slight hiss sound, much like a vac leak. When I remove the oil filler cap the motor starts idling funny, rises falls and sputters very sporadically. Started it up again this morning, small cloud of smoke and stopped almost instantly. Figure its remaining oil in the intake, working its way down to the motor. Should there be an issue when I remove the oil fill cap while running.
ltaudio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 07:29 AM   #15

"When I remove the oil filler cap the motor starts idling funny, rises falls and sputters very sporadically."

Cool, not for you, but for me. That is what mine is doing at idle which makes me think I have a vacuum leak not the MAF. I will order in and replace the oil filler tube, get a new oil cap and continue to look for vacuum leaks, any ideas for other leak points would be appreciated.

Ed

Old 09-28-2009, 05:26 PM   #16
Bob Hindson Racing

Simple test, unplug your MAF. If that improves things, swap it out for a new one.
Old 10-03-2009, 06:41 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by eightsandaces
I would think highway speed on throttle smoke would be the engine burning oil, although I'm not sure how the AOS functions in total, perhaps it suppresses smoke at all speeds. Given the cost of the alternatives, I'd certainly gamble on a new AOS before a service call.
done deal

so I checked it out and it WAS the AOS.

all fixed and back on the road!