Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-12-2009, 03:26 PM   #1

Just installed Pedro's Enthusiast Mount

I just installed Pedro's Enthusiast front engine mount. For those of you considering exhaust upgrades to get more engine noise in the cabin, you might give this a try! I do notice more vibration, esp at startup, but mostly I am much more aware of what RPM the engine is running at even with the foot off the gas.

I installed it to help wonky feeling gearbox, and it does seem to have helped some, I will have to spend more time behind the wheel to know for sure.

It took about 2 hours to do change the mount. Was helpful to have two people to install the engine support bar and adjust the height of the engine.

FWIW, I bought the "OTC 4324 Stinger Engine Support Bar" and it was a little too big, the feet did not fit into the gutters, so I had to cut some wood blocks for it to sit on. I'd prefer having a smaller unit.

-james

'01 Boxster S, 51k miles
'05 Mazda 6 Grand Touring Wagon
yimmy149 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 08:31 AM   #2

do you feel like the shifting feels tighter and smoother than before? if you had to do it over again - would you install this mount, or just stay with the OEM unit?
2006 RL - My daily driver
2000 Boxster - Ocean Blue Base 5spd on Black Full leather. 18" wheels and M030.

Boxster mods I've added: Rear speaker kit, Painted Calipers, Painted Bumperettes, Painted Center Console, 987 Shifter Assembly, 3 Spoke Steering Wheel, Clear side markers, 03+ rear lights, de-snorkeled.
23109VC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 11:42 AM   #3

Send a message via AIM to Travis
Quote:
Originally Posted by yimmy149
I just installed Pedro's Enthusiast front engine mount. For those of you considering exhaust upgrades to get more engine noise in the cabin, you might give this a try! I do notice more vibration, esp at startup, but mostly I am much more aware of what RPM the engine is running at even with the foot off the gas.

-james

A little confused here...........

You "wanted" more engine noise in the cabin and vibration or was this a dig at the engine mount upgrade producing more vibration and noise?
Travis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 04:45 PM   #4

The shifting is tighter and smoother. The problem I was combatting previously would be the shifter not going all the way into gear, you could tell it got past the synchros, but there was a second notch I needed to get past to get it all the way in. A couple times it jumped out of first or second. All that seems resolved in the 100 or so miles I've tested.

No, I wasn't looking for more cabin noise - but it sounds like there are people out there that are. With the OEM mount, on the freeway, with the top down I never really felt vibes from or heard the motor except for intake noise - I'd have to look at the gauge or stick to figure out what gear I was in. Now I can hear/feel it more, so I find myself going into 6th gear above 65mph to reduce noise.
I've also noticed some vibration in the 3k-4k RPM range that I'd rather not be feeling.

Unless Pedros softens a bit over time, I think if I were going to do it again, I would probably want to try the Cayman mount. The stock Boxster one has so little material, it's not gonna last long.

I will update thread in a couple months with my impressions then.

-james

'01 Boxster S, 51k miles
'05 Mazda 6 Grand Touring Wagon
yimmy149 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 08:53 AM   #5

I just put the Cayman mount on mine today, drives much better, but then my original was torn. I was tempted to put the pedro style mount on there but decided just to go with the Cayman one as I am in the UK it is a PITA with shipping.

noone986s is offline   Reply With Quote