Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-08-2009, 12:13 PM   #21

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by eightsandaces
Johnny,

Can you compare the experience of the GT3 vs a Boxster?

PS Enjoy your cash man, (this doesn't sound like advise you need) screw it, when I had a lot I certainly blew my share.
Believe it or not, as far as balance, poise, neutral handling and being altogether more nimble, the boxster has it all over the GT3 RS. The GT3 is a much more raw and powerful beast. Its difficult to describe its personality.

Last edited by Johnny Danger; 09-08-2009 at 12:16 PM.
Johnny Danger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 12:42 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Danger
Believe it or not, as far as balance, poise, neutral handling and being altogether more nimble, the boxster has it all over the GT3 RS. The GT3 is a much more raw and powerful beast. Its difficult to describe its personality.

It doesn't look like I'll ever have another Porsche, my goal is to keep the one I have as pristine as possible so I can enjoy it over a period of summers. I'd like to experience the grunt of the GT3 but truthfully, the 2.5 moves very quickly, certainly enough for me to enjoy repeatedly.
eightsandaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 01:01 PM   #23

JD,

Look, all Jackass'ng aside there....It's cool that you bought the headers, and I can certainly appreciate the construction of them....

Quite frankly, I didn't even know the company made them, which probably drives the cost up because they don't sell that many.

But when you compare them to other known manufacturer's out there, they are far far more costly and for a 4hp +/- claimed gain, that's an incredibly costly investment for one piece of the exhaust puzzle.

So yes, that's why I said what I did and sorry it offended you! It was not intended to. Hell, I appreciate aficionados like you.

If you've got the money, go for it. I can't say I have always let the pocket book steer my decision making abilities....

'01 S - Guards Red / Beige - Surrendered - 04.18.12
jwade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 04:29 PM   #24

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwade
JD,

Look, all Jackass'ng aside there....It's cool that you bought the headers, and I can certainly appreciate the construction of them....

Quite frankly, I didn't even know the company made them, which probably drives the cost up because they don't sell that many.

But when you compare them to other known manufacturer's out there, they are far far more costly and for a 4hp +/- claimed gain, that's an incredibly costly investment for one piece of the exhaust puzzle.

So yes, that's why I said what I did and sorry it offended you! It was not intended to. Hell, I appreciate aficionados like you.

If you've got the money, go for it. I can't say I have always let the pocket book steer my decision making abilities....
JWADE,
No offense taken at this point. On a positive note, since there were very few choices available as far as headers and cats were concerned, after working closely with FVD Brombacher here in the USA, they impressed upon one of their affiliates in Germany, M&M Exhaust, to custom fabricate a set for me. For anyone who is unfamiliar with M&M, these are the guys who are behind most of the major "tuners" in Germany. Gemballa, Techart, Speedart, 9FF, Cargraphic ect.... have all relied upon them for their exhaust systems. Yes, they are expensive, but the quality and performance in unsurpassed. After serving as the first "guinea pig" , they are now available as a regular item through FVD.
Old 09-09-2009, 04:10 AM   #25

Quote:
JWADE,
No offense taken at this point. On a positive note, since there were very few choices available as far as headers and cats were concerned, after working closely with FVD Brombacher here in the USA, they impressed upon one of their affiliates in Germany, M&M Exhaust, to custom fabricate a set for me. For anyone who is unfamiliar with M&M, these are the guys who are behind most of the major "tuners" in Germany. Gemballa, Techart, Speedart, 9FF, Cargraphic ect.... have all relied upon them for their exhaust systems. Yes, they are expensive, but the quality and performance in unsurpassed. After serving as the first "guinea pig" , they are now available as a regular item through FVD.

"guinea pig"... lol I don't see any risk with the names you're tossing out there, that would be like handing your car to Penske's tuners and thinking you had to cross your fingers for a good result.
eightsandaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 04:16 AM   #26

Kudos to you for doing it right. Crappy chinese stuff is not the way to go but there are tons of people that's doing it here.
ekam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 04:20 PM   #27

Garage
Thumbs up

Quote:
Thanks Kirk. You and I speak the same language ! I thought the purpose of this forum was for Porschephiles to be able to proudly display their vehicles and in return receive positive feed-back from like enthusiasts. You and I have both invested considerable time and passion into our vehicles. And as a result, we both have "signature" Boxsters. To me, this elevates the Boxster to a level where its given serious attention within the Porsche community, and not simply viewed as the "poor cousin" to the Carrera ect... Whether one is limited to simply de-ambering, or de-snorkeling their Boxster, or they are fortunate enough to be able to purchase 3K headers, we should be admiring one another's accomplishments and not bashing each other. :ah:

I agree with you Johnny & I assume everyone here appreciates members with 997 budget that choose Boxster anyway
BYprodriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 07:43 PM   #28

Congradulations Johnny! Thanks for sharing your pictures; the headers look awesome. Keep us informed on how they work for you!
jaykay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 04:30 AM   #29

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaykay
Congradulations Johnny! Thanks for sharing your pictures; the headers look awesome. Keep us informed on how they work for you!
I've had them installed for about 3 weeks now. There is a clear improvement in power especially in low end and mid-range torque. In addition, the exhaust note now has an even deeper "throaty" sound at idle. And when I "punch" it, the vehicle absolutely screams ! And there has been absolutely no issues with CEL's or anything whatsoever !

Johnny

p.s. Not to revisit sore topics, however, I recall one member who had NHP headers and cats installed on his vehicle, who initially chided me about the cost of my headers and cats and how they would result in CEL's within the first 100 miles as did his. Simply not the case ! At the risk of resorting to old cliches, "you get what you pay for".