Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-19-2009, 08:33 AM   #1

Garage
Any Softronic users out there?

Would appreciate feedback from those that have bought the software and associated hardware--both pro and con.
thanks for any help in advance.

MikenOH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 08:44 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikenOH
Would appreciate feedback from those that have bought the software and associated hardware--both pro and con.
thanks for any help in advance.
Be aware that Porsche can detect that the DME has been reprogrammed, even after the software has been supposedly returned to OEM, and this can and will result in the cancellation of your warranty…………..
JFP in PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 09:55 AM   #3

Garage
Good point..

which is why I would wait until my warranty is over. No sense giving them a reason to turn down a claim. BMW's warranty says the same thing.

I have to say that when I read of owners with new cars-- a year or two old-- doing this, I'm more than a bit surprised. I like HP bumps as much as next guy but value a warranty more, given how fragile some of these cars have been.

As the saying goes, "you pays your money and takes your chances"...
MikenOH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 03:26 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFP in PA
Be aware that Porsche can detect that the DME has been reprogrammed, even after the software has been supposedly returned to OEM, and this can and will result in the cancellation of your warranty…………..

BULL ****************!!!!!! Softronic is a bit by bit flash. you can up load your stock file with no detection. the only flash to get. go to the website. Scott is a great guy.

READ THIS (from Scott)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkhill
I understand the difference between the "original" program and the "stock boost" programs. Some tuners use stock boost levels as their "stock" programs. Other tuners do save your original file and can re-flash your ECU with the original program if you wish.

I thought the number of ECU flashes were detectable by Porsche thus sending up a red flag. I have no problem with you or your software. I just do not believe there is a completely undetectable flash that will keep your warranty intact 100% of the time. I just do not think you can claim that the factory warranty will remain intact on a car that has an ECU flash regardless of whether or not the original program has been reinstalled.

Now, if you said, "We guarantee that we will cover any warranty claims denied by PCNA due to ECU modification" then I would be sold. You have a good product, so sell the product not the hype.

Hello,

The number of flashes is only indexed by Porsche when writing a file and most tuners have worked around this.
There is no flash that would be totally undetectable period. Why? Well I should know since I'm the person looking at them for many racing organizations and Porsche is one of them. The flash in the non DFI cars resides in a 29F800 chip in this case and can be read out. What I do as part of a check is pull a random binary section of the file. Now should this sample not align with its given Porsche coded file it is a Tuned file. We and Porsche can fully pull the entire chip as a read over the OBD2 port if desired and check it. ALL aftermarket tunes will have to in one way or another alter this file and it is detectable. We also pull all other data from the DME such as Over revs, file programming stamps,VIN, programming ops, version coding, long and short software numbers and much more.

That guarantee would be hard to offer as we cant control what is done to the DME outside of our control. Perhaps you then decided to use trial software and then didn't want it or replaced the DME with another that we did not flash , had two DME's and put the wrong one in etc.

The term running AS stock would be considered any switchable flash.
lardog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 09:40 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by lardog
BULL ****************!!!!!!
If you really think so, perhaps you should give Scott a call.............there are multiple traps built into the DME, including comparing the run time clocks between the airbag computer and the DME, which will reset every time it is re-flashed, while the airbag unit does not...........

There is also a type of "Check Sum" algorithm in use that does not count characters, but assigns values to each character and then sums those values; there by making the total number of characters irrelevant..........

This topic has been beaten to death on multiple websites.

Sorry, you are off base on this one...........and rude besides........
Old 08-20-2009, 11:06 AM   #6

I've got an 01 base. So the argument regarding the warranty is irrelevant to me, since mine expired quite a while ago. But I would be interested in other's opinions on the software in question. AND... I went to their web site and they don't seem to have an application for (at least older) non S models. Is that the case? I tried to email them through their web site but the security code you have to enter to be able to send the email never came up. hmmmmmm LOL...since this is a software company and the security code seems to be a software problem is that an omen? Nevertheless, opinions from users would be helpful in making a decision.

Bob
7/15 mm spacers
Deambered
Desnorked
SS door sills
Debadged
Clear tails
Technobrace
Technobra
I'll never own another black car!
Bob O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 11:32 AM   #7

We have several clients that use it and like it. I have not seen before and after dyno runs on their cars, but have been told that they have seen gains, particularly on cars with headers and “test pipes” installed, but I have no supporting data other than what they have told me.

As for what models software is available for, you would have to go to the vendor directly for that info………….
Old 08-20-2009, 12:02 PM   #8

Thanks. What are "test pipes"? Straight pipes with no cats or mufflers?
7/15 mm spacers
Deambered
Desnorked
SS door sills
Debadged
Clear tails
Technobrace
Technobra
Old 08-20-2009, 01:26 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob O
Thanks. What are "test pipes"? Straight pipes with no cats or mufflers?
"Test pipes" are catless replacements that they are not supposed to sell, so they call them test pipes for diagnostic use. Kind of a "wink, wink, nod, nod" thing. All the cars have mufflers, but some where factory, some aftermarket.
Old 08-20-2009, 01:46 PM   #10

Got it. Thank you

Bob
7/15 mm spacers
Deambered
Desnorked
SS door sills
Debadged
Clear tails
Technobrace
Technobra
Old 08-20-2009, 06:12 PM   #11

Quote:
If you really think so, perhaps you should give Scott a call.............there are multiple traps built into the DME, including comparing the run time clocks between the airbag computer and the DME, which will reset every time it is re-flashed, while the airbag unit does not...........

There is also a type of "Check Sum" algorithm in use that does not count characters, but assigns values to each character and then sums those values; there by making the total number of characters irrelevant..........

This topic has been beaten to death on multiple websites.

Sorry, you are off base on this one...........and rude besides........
the run time clock DOES NOT RESET!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 08-21-2009, 05:48 AM   #12

From a web posting on the subject of Softronic installs, how Porsche catches poeple, and the run time clocks, read it and weep:

"You can reload the original DME software .... but the 'Hours Run' clock in the DME should match the one in the computer that controls the airbags. When you flash (or re-flash)the car the DME clock stops until the flashing is complete, so afterwards the clocks will not match. It takes a very knowledgeable techie to find that one though...."

Last edited by JFP in PA; 08-21-2009 at 09:25 AM.
Old 08-21-2009, 06:11 PM   #13

Quote:
From a web posting on the subject of Softronic installs, how Porsche catches poeple, and the run time clocks, read it and weep:

"You can reload the original DME software .... but the 'Hours Run' clock in the DME should match the one in the computer that controls the airbags. When you flash (or re-flash)the car the DME clock stops until the flashing is complete, so afterwards the clocks will not match. It takes a very knowledgeable techie to find that one though...."

SURE OK :ah: JUST UNPLUG THE computer that controls the airbags
Old 08-22-2009, 06:49 AM   #14

Thumbs down

I’d really like to see you unplug the airbag computer for exactly the number of milliseconds it takes for the DME to re-flash so the clocks match……… sure, like that is actually going to work……………NOT!
Old 12-08-2010, 05:14 PM   #15

Okay.....but how does the softronic flash compare with others? Has anyone measured the difference?
Old 12-09-2010, 08:00 PM   #16
Crazy Austrian

Garage
I can't tell you how it compares to others, I can only tell you what it did for me on my 04 Boxster S. I made my own cold air system, Pedro's planum,cheap ebay headers, made the intermediate "test pipes" and bought a used Borla Muffler and gained over 40 hp. I know this cause I dynoed it. I got 264 at the rear wheels compared to 218 stock whick equates to about 310 flywheel hp torque is around 230+ . So yeah, i'm happy with softronics tune also took away throttle lag, it gets up and goes when you touch the pedal.
Down side? I can only think of possibly one thing, the throttle response is so rapid that if you start out slow (sometimes) it bucks a little, but if you stomp on it, it goes away. I can live with that.
good luck deciding

HRC
Old 12-15-2010, 07:35 PM   #17

Sounds good was this a custom flash or just the standard one for the 3.2?
Old 12-16-2010, 04:49 AM   #18
Crazy Austrian

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaykay
Sounds good was this a custom flash or just the standard one for the 3.2?
Just the standard magic. apperently it doesn't make any difference with or without headers and mufflers,cold air etc, when I originally installed the software I had non of it, but had intended on installing all that and when I did it ran even better with the dyno results to prove it.
Old 12-16-2010, 10:32 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryrcb
Just the standard magic. apperently it doesn't make any difference with or without headers and mufflers,cold air etc, when I originally installed the software I had non of it, but had intended on installing all that and when I did it ran even better with the dyno results to prove it.
When you say this, do you mean that you compared the setup of [stock + softronic] compared to [modded with headers/intake + softronic].. which would make sense of the dyno results... or are you saying you compared [modded with softronic Unflashed] compared to [modded + softronic flashed] and noticed a difference?

Some stuff for sale: M030 S 24mm front sway bar, M030 base 19.6mm rear sway bar, 996 GT3 OEM Porsche Motorsport front strut mounts monoball "camber plates"

WTB: looking for some 5-7mm spacers with extended bolts
chaudanova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 03:21 PM   #20

I see so you are saying that:
The standard flash is such that it will adapt to the installation of headers and and intake without having to pay again?
The flash will give you 40hp with the stock intake and exhaust? (this would be great but I would not expect more than 20hp)?
There are no custom Softronic flashes (I have secondary cat by-passes and a custom high by-pass stock muffler) to optimize aftermarket components....?