Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-10-2009, 03:51 AM   #1

986 Engine cuts out

I have a '98 Boxster 2.5 and just recently the engine has started to just die on me and will not restart, after a while, half an hour or so, it will start again on the key no problem! I'd be grateful for any theories of what the cause could be. I'd like to get it to my local dealership but afraid of it breaking down in traffic.........again!

Thanx in advance

dutchman

dutchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 12:41 PM   #2

hi there. i know you posted this some time ago but i have the same problem with the same year boxster, i assume you found the problem, or could anybody else give me a clue.
regards steve.
farliedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 02:26 PM   #3

Steve...
It sounds like the crankshaft position sensor (CPS) could be acting up - they tend to fail when the engine is up to temperature.
Use the search function for position in the engine bay and remedies to replace.
Old 09-03-2013, 01:03 PM   #4

I agree sounds like the crank sensor, as stated, they do fail and usually play up when hot on most cars. Not sure about a porsche but why should they be any different lol
Mikelove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 05:53 AM   #5

Garage
I am on the testing phase of my solution to:
Car would start and run fine. Then after several miles stall and couldn't re-fire. Wait 10 - 15 mins and could restart and drive fine. This would repeat.
I started with fuel pump relay.
- Got car running until stall. Could feel Relay was very hot.
- Pulled relay and put in jumper (plugs 30 & 87 I believe)
- I could immediately hear the Fuel pump start running.
- I then started car with jumper and it ran fine.
- Pulled jumper with car running and the car slowly stalled. Same behavior I experienced while driving. Because the Fuel pump was no longer running.
- Placed hot Relay back in and car would not fire
- Cooled down relay with cold air, plugged back in and car fired right up

So now with new relay I'm driving around with fuse covers off and I touch the relay after I stop to see if it gets exceptionally hot. This would indicate to me something else is causing relay to fail.
So far so good but I've only driven 40-50 miles over a few days.
The relay does get pretty warm but not to hot to keep finger against as before
Hope this gives you some ideas
Old 09-30-2018, 11:54 PM   #6

Cool Boxster Cutting out - restarts after half hour

Hi. A new member here.
I seem to have a very similar problem.
Engine suddenly cuts out with no warning and no CEL or error codes.
Took it to Porsche and they said it was cats had failed due to ignition coil packs which were failing and causing missfires (burning out cats due to unburnt fuel getting into them).
Changed coil packs, cats & lambda sensors & thought problem had gone (200miles + driven without problem) but happened again at weekend.
Initially after it dies, it will just crank over and refuse to fire.
After waiting a bit longer (about 10mins) it fires and goes into fast idle - but after a few seconds revs start to drop (to normal idle) and at this point it pops & bangs and cuts out. At this point giving it a bit of boot you can keep it going for a bit, but just more backfires etc and eventually dies.
I had been thinking it could have been heat related but last time it happened almost immediately (the car being started from almost cold - having been stopped just a couple of hours before - after 60miles without problem).
Dodgy relay sound a possibilty - burnt contacts??
Did you get to the bottom of the fault & which relay was getting hot?
Any help / suggestions would be appreciated.
Alan2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 05:30 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by dutchman View Post
I have a '98 Boxster 2.5 and just recently the engine has started to just die on me and will not restart, after a while, half an hour or so, it will start again on the key no problem! I'd be grateful for any theories of what the cause could be. I'd like to get it to my local dealership but afraid of it breaking down in traffic.........again!

Thanx in advance

dutchman
I am having the same problem. Im thinking now its either the fuel pump itself or the cat? Very annoying fault
Cazza986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 05:40 AM   #8

Garage
Pretty sure it is the crank position sensor. Try replacing it.
2009 Mercedes Benz CLK 350 convertible
1941 Dodge Luxury Liner Coupe
Anker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 09:01 AM   #9

Garage
[QUOTE=Alan2b;580189]Hi. A new member here.
I seem to have a very similar problem.
Engine suddenly cuts out with no warning and no CEL or error codes.
Took it to Porsche and they said it was cats had failed due to ignition coil packs which were failing and causing missfires (burning out cats due to unburnt fuel getting into them).
Changed coil packs, cats & lambda sensors & thought problem had gone (200miles + driven without problem) but happened again at weekend.
Initially after it dies, it will just crank over and refuse to fire.
After waiting a bit longer (about 10mins) it fires and goes into fast idle - but after a few seconds revs start to drop (to normal idle) and at this point it pops & bangs and cuts out. At this point giving it a bit of boot you can keep it going for a bit, but just more backfires etc and eventually dies.
I had been thinking it could have been heat related but last time it happened almost immediately (the car being started from almost cold - having been stopped just a couple of hours before - after 60miles without problem).
Dodgy relay sound a possibilty - burnt contacts??
Did you get to the bottom of the fault & which relay was getting hot?
Any help / suggestions would be appreciated.[/QUOTE

Thank you & every other poster here that searched instead of starting a new thread. It really makes the forum better rather than more cluttered.

I don't see how converter condition can prevent a 986 from starting. Lots of fuel pumps failing these days especially when the tank is low on fuel which is the only thing that cools the pump.

My 2000 S has it's original crank position sensor.
Old 04-03-2019, 09:06 AM   #10

Garage
Or Fuel pump Relay. this can be jumped to test
Things to look at are Tach registering when cranking or not. Feel if Relay is super hot to the touch
Old 08-07-2019, 09:50 AM   #11

engine cuts out at 80c

hi any idea anyone? re my 1999 boxter 2.5. just recently my engine has been cutting out at around 80c, no specific warning lights, engine cuts out they all come on, wait till temp gauge goes below 80 and she starts again, im not hearing any fans come on which I understand they should (phase 1). engine cuts out as you drip revs to change gear or at idle. doesn't seem to cut out thou
gh if you keep revs a bit higher than usual.
beardy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 07:41 PM   #12
Certified Boxster Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by beardy View Post
hi any idea anyone? re my 1999 boxter 2.5. just recently my engine has been cutting out at around 80c, no specific warning lights, engine cuts out they all come on, wait till temp gauge goes below 80 and she starts again, im not hearing any fans come on which I understand they should (phase 1). engine cuts out as you drip revs to change gear or at idle. doesn't seem to cut out thou
gh if you keep revs a bit higher than usual.
I would recommend copying your post and start a new thread. You'll get a lot more help that way.

1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote