Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-01-2009, 11:49 AM   #1

Smile the smoking porsche and the duct tape

first just a quick question, 2001 porsche , can a cracked vacuum line comming from the top rear passenger side of the manifold cause or contribute to the failure of the oil air separator, thus causeing the car to smoke ridiculously? second question, have you ever got your car back from the dealership with duct tape applied to the engine as a form of repair? cant wait to see the responses.
thanks

mstimely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 01:47 PM   #2

outside of KY duct tape is not used to fix engines, Porsche or otherwise j/k but seriously no duct tape should be used period.

The AOS fails in it's own right and not due to a manifold leak. Has your AOS ever been replaced? What are the last 2 digits on it? Currently Porsche has version .04 (meaning the 5 iteration of the part...). R&Ring the AOS is an easy DIY project (non-Tip) where parts will run ~ $120. Dealers have been known to charge north of $500 to replace. It's a good preventative maintenance item as failure of it can be catastrophic. Are you getting excessive smoke from the exhaust while running?
Burg Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 10:43 AM   #3

Smile porsche tape

thanks for the reply, yeah i figured the tape was not oem, lol but that is how i got my boxster back from bluegrass porsche on july 17th. the next day is when the billowing white smoke care from the exhaust. the service manager tried to convince me that the tech did me a favor by putting it there!!! but the very next day the oil air separator fails? i figured that the pressure differential from the cracked and duct taped vacuum line allowed the oil separator to fill with oil and fail. the separator has been replaced and the smoking has stopped all at the dealerships cost, but i also had the 30,000 mile service done at that time and have found many discrepancies in what they say they did versus what lookslike has been done. im very unhappy with the porsche dealership and now must find another qualified service station to handle my car. maybe cincinatti or lexington

mstimely is offline   Reply With Quote