Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-19-2009, 08:44 PM   #1

anyone intalled NHP full exhaust???

Has anyone done this install???

Will be installing the following NHP full exhaust. slightly different from pics. I will be running: Headers with Sport Cats, ByPass Mid pipes, and the Muffler.

I am considering GIAC chip tuned for this setup?? anybody? agree, disagree?

thanks

Old 06-19-2009, 09:38 PM   #2
Track rat

Garage
I have not but others here have done similar installs. If it were my car I would get a custom reflash with a dyno or a rolling tune and shoot for a big fat torque curve rather than peak hp. We buy hp but we win races with torque. More effective than off the shelf "chip" reflashes.

Some pitfalls others have faced with aftermarket header/cat/exhaust so just a friendly heads up:

Serious droning resonance at 3k rpm
Continuous CEL issues.
Cannot pass state smog inspections (not street legal)
Headers made contact with nearby PS lines, car caught fire and burned to the ground (yes, several Boxsters have gone car-b-que after installing headers)

Pay attention to the details.
Old 06-20-2009, 04:23 AM   #3

Yes you must tie back the power steering lines or else you will have issues. I lucked out and it happened in a driveway when someone who had a hose happened to be standing right there when the fire started. No damage other than a messy engine from the fluid and a burst PS hose.
Chris
Old 06-20-2009, 05:16 AM   #4

He's not going to have CEL since there's 4 cats shown in the pic. As long as the O2 sensors are plugged in then it'll be fine.
ekam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 07:03 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekam
He's not going to have CEL since there's 4 cats shown in the pic. As long as the O2 sensors are plugged in then it'll be fine.
yes I will be running the front and rear O2's, although the front CAT's will be 200 cell cats (much less restrictive) than a factory 600 to 800 cell CAT. and that can but rarely cause a CEL.

not to worried about the CEL even if it does it will be fixed when the car is tuned.
Old 06-20-2009, 07:06 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonwind
Yes you must tie back the power steering lines or else you will have issues. I lucked out and it happened in a driveway when someone who had a hose happened to be standing right there when the fire started. No damage other than a messy engine from the fluid and a burst PS hose.
Chris
Very much thanks for that information, I will definetely make sure the PS hoses are out the the way . That would not be good. Also was this on 3.2 or 2.5 or are the hoses identical on a both???????

Last edited by 2K3_Boxster_S; 06-20-2009 at 07:15 AM.
2K3_Boxster_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 07:12 AM   #7

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topless
I have not but others here have done similar installs. If it were my car I would get a custom reflash with a dyno or a rolling tune and shoot for a big fat torque curve rather than peak hp. We buy hp but we win races with torque. More effective than off the shelf "chip" reflashes.

Some pitfalls others have faced with aftermarket header/cat/exhaust so just a friendly heads up:

Serious droning resonance at 3k rpm
Continuous CEL issues.
Cannot pass state smog inspections (not street legal)
Headers made contact with nearby PS lines, car caught fire and burned to the ground (yes, several Boxsters have gone car-b-que after installing headers)

Pay attention to the details.
Thanks I will see If I can get that torque curve up. It definetely feels like it needs more torque especially at lower rpms.

Also, it is a street legal setup where I live. there are no smog inspections and I am still run CATS.

Thanks everyone for the help.
Old 06-20-2009, 03:31 PM   #8

Personally, I wouldn't sink any money into an exhaust until we get more info from Jake Raby.

Jake has intimated that only a couple of the aftermarket setups actually outperform the OEM gear and that most actually underperform OEM.

1999 Porsche Boxster
(gone, but not forgotten)
http://i933.photobucket.com/albums/a...smiley-003.gif

Never drive faster than your Guardian Angel can fly!
Lil bastard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 07:53 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil bastard
Personally, I wouldn't sink any money into an exhaust until we get more info from Jake Raby.

Jake has intimated that only a couple of the aftermarket setups actually outperform the OEM gear and that most actually underperform OEM.

I understand what you are saying. after market support for the boxster's is fairly new. NHP is providing dyno sheets with each part. And the OEM exhaust seems very restrictive 1 1/2 inch exhaust inlets?????? I just can't imagine how going to a equal length merge header and from 42mm to 50mm overall piping, removing 4 restrictive CATS is not going to out perform OEM. I can't believe that's possible.
wish I could do a pre and post dyno on this install but I'm afraid I will only be able to do a post dyno. Let you know in a few weeks when I return home. Also the muffler is straight through no baffles.

Old 06-21-2009, 06:45 PM   #10
Engine Surgeon

I continue to gather data... But it's not looking like I'll end up sharing the info publicly.

I'd most certainly end up in court if I did so, the results are that bad in some instances.
Jake Raby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 08:24 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake Raby
I continue to gather data... But it's not looking like I'll end up sharing the info publicly.

I'd most certainly end up in court if I did so, the results are that bad in some instances.

so in other word spending any money of aftermarket exhaust is not worth it ?
udontknowjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 10:02 PM   #12

I have the full system on my 2.9L. Looks nice, sounds good. Made a difference on my 2.9 over a stock system, but my engine is far from stock. My biggest complaint is that the tube diameter is wrong for using the factory U pieces that you have to use in the install, so it's pretty much impossible to not have exhaust leaks.
Home of Nickies, IMS Retrofit, and IMS Solution
cnavarro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 10:31 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnavarro
I have the full system on my 2.9L. Looks nice, sounds good. Made a difference on my 2.9 over a stock system, but my engine is far from stock. My biggest complaint is that the tube diameter is wrong for using the factory U pieces that you have to use in the install, so it's pretty much impossible to not have exhaust leaks.
so you have NHP Full exhaust installed on your 2.9L and you are saying that it does not bolt up perfectly? If so then, my whole set will be getting returned.

Also specify exact set-up if you have NHP.

example: Headers with sport cats, mid pipes with or without cats, and exhaust.
Old 06-21-2009, 10:56 PM   #14

Quote:

Court??? what?? ever heard of the 1st? if you want to claim upgrading headers and exhaust is worthless and can't post data that you have then your opinions and claims are worthless.

If you have installed NHP headers and dyno'd a 3.2L then post the results:

EX: Maxspeed Dyno Sheet suggest's 8hp 4LBS change

Exhaust and headers on any other car would yeild gains in HP and or torque, just curious why it would be the opposite for a Boxster?
Old 06-21-2009, 11:43 PM   #15

Quote:

Well you could avoid any litigation possibility by merely reporting those systems with positive gains.

You certainly could not be sued by a company for not mentionining them at all or for not saying anything negative about their products.

1999 Porsche Boxster
(gone, but not forgotten)
http://i933.photobucket.com/albums/a...smiley-003.gif

Never drive faster than your Guardian Angel can fly!
Lil bastard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 05:44 AM   #16
Engine Surgeon

You'd have to be in my position to understand the flack that gets started when a discovery is made and shared.. Gathering the data scientifically without variables being imposed is hard enough, dealing with the people after it happens is unbearable.

Lets just say if you like to sound like you are going faster than you really are, then you'll love most of the after market systems.
Jake Raby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 05:50 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil bastard
Well you could avoid any litigation possibility by merely reporting those systems with positive gains.

You certainly could not be sued by a company for not mentionining them at all or for not saying anything negative about their products.

I think everyone is missing an important point: Jake and Charles are owners of two businesses that specialize in providing upgrades and replacement components for Porsches. As such, they could potentially be held to a different standard in a lawsuit as “the market” considers them “subject matter experts.” Therefore, their “opinions” carry a lot more weight than that of an average enthusiast that publishes their like or dislike for a particular component, regardless of how the data was collected. As a business owner myself; I can fully appreciate their reluctance to state their knowledge on some subjects as the facts as they understand them can still end up costing a whole lot of cash to defend when you piss someone off…………….
JFP in PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 05:52 AM   #18

Quote:
You'd have to be in my position to understand the flack that gets started when a discovery is made and shared.. Gathering the data scientifically without variables being imposed is hard enough, dealing with the people after it happens is unbearable.

Lets just say if you like to sound like you are going faster than you really are, then you'll love most of the after market systems.
Don't you just love all the marketing hype on the street.....................
Old 06-22-2009, 06:11 AM   #19

Quote:

Don't worry I completely understand now, didn't realize your are a salesman.
scared of losing business to competitors.
Old 06-22-2009, 07:09 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2K3_Boxster_S
Don't worry I completely understand now, didn't realize your are a salesman.
scared of losing business to competitors.

Way to go...............why not insult one of the most respected independent Porsche engine builders in the country.......................Jeez