Go Back   986 Forum - for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical chat

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-19-2009, 09:03 AM   #1
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: california bay area
Posts: 43
damn oil leak...how bad is this?

where it coming from?





udontknowjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 12:27 PM   #2
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Bay Area
Posts: 9
is this the same youdontknowjack from mazda3forums?
LG Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 07:09 PM   #3
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Bastrop, TX
Posts: 705
Rear main seal.
__________________
2002 S
Pedro rear stabilizer bar, CF strut braces, Maxspeed headers with 100 cell cats, Fabspeed cat bypass pipes, H&R springs with M030 setup, TRG rear links, EVO air intake, B&M Short shift kit, Raby IMS upgrade, Raby underdrive pulley
jhandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 08:21 PM   #4
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: california bay area
Posts: 43
so im one of the unlucky one huh?? 03 non s boxster with only 36k miles....rms and ims already??
udontknowjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 08:22 PM   #5
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: california bay area
Posts: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by LG Paul
is this the same youdontknowjack from mazda3forums?
yes wassup paul....now im thinking i shouldnt got rid of my speed3 now i run into this expensive problem.....
udontknowjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 06:03 AM   #6
Registered User
 
JAAY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: shoreham, ny
Posts: 1,619
It is not that big of a deal if you can bring the thing to a lil indy shop or something. If you are good with tools the tranny is the easiest thing to get out. It takes me just about a half hour to get out. Good luck.
__________________
996 3.4 engine with 2.7 986 5speed transmission
Ebay Headers, Fabspeed high flow cats, JIC Cross, IPD Plenum, H&R Coilovers, B&M Short Shifter, AEM Uego Gauge Type Analog, Apexi S-AFC Select, 987 air box, Litronics, 2000 Tails and side markers, painted center console, 18" 987 S-Wheels, GT3 Front bumper with splitter.
JAAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 08:19 AM   #7
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: orange county, ca
Posts: 248
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAAY
It is not that big of a deal if you can bring the thing to a lil indy shop or something. If you are good with tools the tranny is the easiest thing to get out. It takes me just about a half hour to get out. Good luck.

To an "advanced DIYer" with the right special tools it is a "simple" job; even for the experienced DIYer this is no "simple" task, this requires special tools that you can't loan in just any shop. The RMS seal requires a special precision seating tool to put it in place although ive seen guys who just simply slap the new RMS in by approximation; IMO, i wouldn't take chances.

Most Indy shops would charge a standard labor 6-8hours for an RMS/Tranny job (6 hours is LUCKY). You are looking around $700-$1000 just for the RMS seal replacement alone, i suggest that you also throw in a new clutch to save you on labor costs...Time to raid the slush fund, GoodLuck

Last edited by spine911; 06-20-2009 at 08:49 AM.
spine911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 03:21 PM   #8
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: california bay area
Posts: 43
well the first shop i call and quote me est $1350 rms parts and labor...if i do the ims at the same time will be est $1700 for both.....car need to stay over for a week...and hes a 3 week out for the next appointment...im looking around for another shop at the moment...

question...is it safe to drive around right now...or should i just leave it alone till this get look at and fix?? its my 3rd car so its no big deal if it need to be sit out for awhile...
udontknowjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 08:24 PM   #9
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: orange county, ca
Posts: 248
Quote:
Originally Posted by udontknowjack

question...is it safe to drive around right now...or should i just leave it alone till this get look at and fix?? its my 3rd car so its no big deal if it need to be sit out for awhile...
To defer RMS repair depends on the amount of the oil leak, make sure you check the oil levels regularly and add oil as needed. I managed to drive my 986 for almost 2 years with an active RMS leak.

I noticed you kept on mentioning IMS with this RMS leak, they are two DIFFERENT issues...There are no warning signs for an impending IMS failure/catastrophic engine failure...Jake Raby, as far as i know is the only one who has an IMS part "upgrade" kit available in North America...No one really knows the long term reliability of the IMS "upgrade"....What exactly will this mechanic do for this so called "IMS repair"????

Also, i remember from your previous posts that you have a Tip. FYI, an RMS leak is quite RARE in Tips due to the difference in designs...Bring your car to a reputable mechanic who will repair/diagnose this car properly.

Last edited by spine911; 06-20-2009 at 08:29 PM.
spine911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 08:30 PM   #10
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: california bay area
Posts: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by spine911
To defer RMS repair depends on the amount of the oil leak, make sure you check the oil levels regularly and add oil as needed. I managed to drive my 986 for almost 2 years with an active RMS leak.

I noticed you kept on mentioning IMS with this RMS leak, they are two DIFFERENT issues...There are no warning signs for an impending IMS failure/catastrophic engine failure...Jake Raby, as far as i know is the only one who has an IMS part "upgrade" kit available in North America...No one really knows the long term reliability of the IMS "upgrade"....What exactly will this mechanic do for this so called "IMS repair"????

Also, i remember from your previous posts that you have a Tip. FYI, an RMS leak is quite RARE in Tips due to the difference in designs...Bring your car to a reputable mechanic who will repair/diagnose this car properly.

thats exactly what a local shop guy tells me....where else could this oil leak from?
udontknowjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 08:36 PM   #11
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: orange county, ca
Posts: 248
Quote:
Originally Posted by udontknowjack
thats exactly what a local shop guy tells me....where else could this oil leak from?

From your pics it definitely looks like an RMS leak (oil from center tranny bell housing), RMS leaks in Tips are rare but not impossible.


I am a little skeptical about the "IMS repair" part.
spine911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 09:18 PM   #12
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: california bay area
Posts: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by spine911
From your pics it definitely looks like an RMS leak (oil from center tranny bell housing), RMS leaks in Tips are rare but not impossible.


I am a little skeptical about the "IMS repair" part.

so ims doesnt seem to be needed?
udontknowjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 09:31 PM   #13
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: orange county, ca
Posts: 248
Quote:
Originally Posted by udontknowjack
so ims doesnt seem to be needed?
I personally wont touch the IMS.

Focus on the RMS leak, also try to look at other possible common sources of leaks (Spark Plug tubes, Cam/Valve cover gasket, AOS)- if all these are dry, it is quite definite to be RMS...Shop around for a shop who will give you a good price.
spine911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 02:32 PM   #14
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Toronto
Posts: 157
The leak could also be from the IMS bolts. They are located above (or below, canít recall) the RMS and are usually replaced when the RMS is replaced as a precaution. Porsche has an updated "encapsulated" bolt(s) that supersedes the original bolts. This is not to be confused with the updated IMS bearing from Raby/flat6.
__________________
1997 Boxster
http://i40.tinypic.com/ax1qhz.jpg
Aron in Toronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 11:39 AM   #15
Registered User
 
tonycarreon's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Frederick, MD
Posts: 1,396
Quote:
Originally Posted by spine911
Also, i remember from your previous posts that you have a Tip. FYI, an RMS leak is quite RARE in Tips due to the difference in designs...Bring your car to a reputable mechanic who will repair/diagnose this car properly.
01 boxster tip, RMS replaced DEC '08
tonycarreon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 01:43 PM   #16
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Illinois
Posts: 3,033
It's more than likely an RMS leak. If it's just a minor leak with a few drops on the floor then I wouldn't change it out right away. Wait until you need a new clutch and then have the RMS swapped out then. Just put a piece of cardboard down in your garage in the meantime.
__________________
'03 3.2L GuardsRed/Blk/Blk---6Spd
Options: Litronics, 18" Carrera lights, Bose sound, Painted to match roll bars.
http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m...Mautocross.jpg
Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 04:54 PM   #17
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: california bay area
Posts: 43
already talked with a few shop...since its a tip and only a few drop on the driveway....its not gonna hurt the clutch or anything...only need to change it when i cant stand the oil drop on my driveway....i can live with that....
udontknowjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 06:18 PM   #18
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Illinois
Posts: 3,033
Quote:
Originally Posted by udontknowjack
already talked with a few shop...since its a tip and only a few drop on the driveway....its not gonna hurt the clutch or anything...only need to change it when i cant stand the oil drop on my driveway....i can live with that....
Oh, since you have a tip scratch what I said about the clutch job. If you can live with a small oil leak then you're ok, but it sucks getting oil all over your driveway and you can't lay down cardboard there to easily.
__________________
'03 3.2L GuardsRed/Blk/Blk---6Spd
Options: Litronics, 18" Carrera lights, Bose sound, Painted to match roll bars.
http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m...Mautocross.jpg
Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 06:24 PM   #19
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: orange county, ca
Posts: 248
Quote:
Originally Posted by udontknowjack
already talked with a few shop...since its a tip and only a few drop on the driveway....its not gonna hurt the clutch or anything...only need to change it when i cant stand the oil drop on my driveway....i can live with that....
Just as i previously mentioned, you can defer the RMS repair depending on the amount of the oil leak, make sure you check your oil levels regularly.
spine911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 08:37 PM   #20
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: california bay area
Posts: 43
for $1300 the cost to replace rms....i can get a truck load of this
http://www.jnkproducts.com/pour-n-restore.htm

udontknowjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On




All times are GMT -8. The time now is 10:50 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2018 Pelican Parts, LLC - Posts may be archived for display on the Pelican Parts Website -    DMCA Registered Agent Contact Page