986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Performance and Technical Chat (http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/)
-   -   damn oil leak...how bad is this? (http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/21052-damn-oil-leak-how-bad.html)

udontknowjack 06-19-2009 09:03 AM

damn oil leak...how bad is this?

where it coming from?

http://www.moccforums.com/forums/gal...9_12_49_29.JPG

http://www.moccforums.com/forums/gal...9_12_51_03.JPG

LG Paul 06-19-2009 12:27 PM

is this the same youdontknowjack from mazda3forums?

jhandy 06-19-2009 07:09 PM

Rear main seal.

udontknowjack 06-19-2009 08:21 PM

so im one of the unlucky one huh?? 03 non s boxster with only 36k miles....rms and ims already??

udontknowjack 06-19-2009 08:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LG Paul
is this the same youdontknowjack from mazda3forums?

yes wassup paul....now im thinking i shouldnt got rid of my speed3 now i run into this expensive problem..... :(

JAAY 06-20-2009 06:03 AM

It is not that big of a deal if you can bring the thing to a lil indy shop or something. If you are good with tools the tranny is the easiest thing to get out. It takes me just about a half hour to get out. Good luck.

spine911 06-20-2009 08:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JAAY
It is not that big of a deal if you can bring the thing to a lil indy shop or something. If you are good with tools the tranny is the easiest thing to get out. It takes me just about a half hour to get out. Good luck.

To an "advanced DIYer" with the right special tools it is a "simple" job; even for the experienced DIYer this is no "simple" task, this requires special tools that you can't loan in just any shop. The RMS seal requires a special precision seating tool to put it in place although ive seen guys who just simply slap the new RMS in by approximation; IMO, i wouldn't take chances.

Most Indy shops would charge a standard labor 6-8hours for an RMS/Tranny job (6 hours is LUCKY). You are looking around $700-$1000 just for the RMS seal replacement alone, i suggest that you also throw in a new clutch to save you on labor costs...Time to raid the slush fund, GoodLuck :cheers:

udontknowjack 06-20-2009 03:21 PM

well the first shop i call and quote me est $1350 rms parts and labor...if i do the ims at the same time will be est $1700 for both.....car need to stay over for a week...and hes a 3 week out for the next appointment...im looking around for another shop at the moment...

question...is it safe to drive around right now...or should i just leave it alone till this get look at and fix?? its my 3rd car so its no big deal if it need to be sit out for awhile...

spine911 06-20-2009 08:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by udontknowjack

question...is it safe to drive around right now...or should i just leave it alone till this get look at and fix?? its my 3rd car so its no big deal if it need to be sit out for awhile...

To defer RMS repair depends on the amount of the oil leak, make sure you check the oil levels regularly and add oil as needed. I managed to drive my 986 for almost 2 years with an active RMS leak.

I noticed you kept on mentioning IMS with this RMS leak, they are two DIFFERENT issues...There are no warning signs for an impending IMS failure/catastrophic engine failure...Jake Raby, as far as i know is the only one who has an IMS part "upgrade" kit available in North America...No one really knows the long term reliability of the IMS "upgrade"....What exactly will this mechanic do for this so called "IMS repair"????

Also, i remember from your previous posts that you have a Tip. FYI, an RMS leak is quite RARE in Tips due to the difference in designs...Bring your car to a reputable mechanic who will repair/diagnose this car properly.

udontknowjack 06-20-2009 08:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spine911
To defer RMS repair depends on the amount of the oil leak, make sure you check the oil levels regularly and add oil as needed. I managed to drive my 986 for almost 2 years with an active RMS leak.

I noticed you kept on mentioning IMS with this RMS leak, they are two DIFFERENT issues...There are no warning signs for an impending IMS failure/catastrophic engine failure...Jake Raby, as far as i know is the only one who has an IMS part "upgrade" kit available in North America...No one really knows the long term reliability of the IMS "upgrade"....What exactly will this mechanic do for this so called "IMS repair"????

Also, i remember from your previous posts that you have a Tip. FYI, an RMS leak is quite RARE in Tips due to the difference in designs...Bring your car to a reputable mechanic who will repair/diagnose this car properly.

thats exactly what a local shop guy tells me....where else could this oil leak from?

spine911 06-20-2009 08:36 PM

Quote:

thats exactly what a local shop guy tells me....where else could this oil leak from?

From your pics it definitely looks like an RMS leak (oil from center tranny bell housing), RMS leaks in Tips are rare but not impossible.

I am a little skeptical about the "IMS repair" part.

udontknowjack 06-20-2009 09:18 PM

Quote:

From your pics it definitely looks like an RMS leak (oil from center tranny bell housing), RMS leaks in Tips are rare but not impossible.

I am a little skeptical about the "IMS repair" part.

so ims doesnt seem to be needed?

spine911 06-20-2009 09:31 PM

Quote:

so ims doesnt seem to be needed?

I personally wont touch the IMS.

Focus on the RMS leak, also try to look at other possible common sources of leaks (Spark Plug tubes, Cam/Valve cover gasket, AOS)- if all these are dry, it is quite definite to be RMS...Shop around for a shop who will give you a good price.

Aron in Toronto 06-23-2009 02:32 PM

The leak could also be from the IMS bolts. They are located above (or below, can’t recall) the RMS and are usually replaced when the RMS is replaced as a precaution. Porsche has an updated "encapsulated" bolt(s) that supersedes the original bolts. This is not to be confused with the updated IMS bearing from Raby/flat6.

tonycarreon 06-25-2009 11:39 AM

Quote:

01 boxster tip, RMS replaced DEC '08

Adam 06-25-2009 01:43 PM

It's more than likely an RMS leak. If it's just a minor leak with a few drops on the floor then I wouldn't change it out right away. Wait until you need a new clutch and then have the RMS swapped out then. Just put a piece of cardboard down in your garage in the meantime.

udontknowjack 06-25-2009 04:54 PM

already talked with a few shop...since its a tip and only a few drop on the driveway....its not gonna hurt the clutch or anything...only need to change it when i cant stand the oil drop on my driveway....i can live with that....

Adam 06-25-2009 06:18 PM

Quote:

already talked with a few shop...since its a tip and only a few drop on the driveway....its not gonna hurt the clutch or anything...only need to change it when i cant stand the oil drop on my driveway....i can live with that....

Oh, since you have a tip scratch what I said about the clutch job. If you can live with a small oil leak then you're ok, but it sucks getting oil all over your driveway and you can't lay down cardboard there to easily.

spine911 06-25-2009 06:24 PM

Quote:

Just as i previously mentioned, you can defer the RMS repair depending on the amount of the oil leak, make sure you check your oil levels regularly. :cheers:

udontknowjack 06-25-2009 08:37 PM

for $1300 the cost to replace rms....i can get a truck load of this
http://www.jnkproducts.com/pour-n-restore.htm
:D