Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-17-2009, 12:42 PM   #1

Need Help Asap

ok so i bought my car about 3 weeks ago. It had 66,899 miles when i bought it and ive since put on about 2,300 miles. car was fine til this past weekend when it became really hard to get into 1st gear and reverse. The problem got proggesivley worse throughout the day and soon enough the car wouldnt go into 1st gear or reversse and was really hard to shift into other gears. (the cars a 1999 boxster with the 2.5 f6 and 5spd) i got the car home and was trying to figure out what was going wrong and i stepped on the clutch pedal and it just clicked down and didnt come ack up. So i towed the car back to the dealer and get a call from them today about the problem..... they say they thought it was the slave cylinder so the put a new one in and it just broke as soon as it was reved up, so then they said they looked over the car to find out y this is happeningand they said that the motor mounts had broken and the transsmission was sitting at an angle, they tell me that this could only happen if the car was abused and are guna make me pay for the repairs. I need to know whats the worst that the problem could be, are they right about the abuse ( i drove the car hard but not abusive) and what kind of costs am i looking at.....thanksss

1999bxstereric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 01:09 PM   #2

anyont have any idea of whats going on here? im new to these cars and just lost on everything
1999bxstereric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 01:13 PM   #3

time for a new clutch or check fluid....
udontknowjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 01:37 PM   #4

BULLS*T

ALL of the stock engine mounts in the cars are broken. I have documented over 50 at this point and I stopped looking and telling people about it several months ago.

The retail price in the USA for the CaymanS mount (the one you want is $178 give or take a few dollars) It takes 20min for an experienced wrench to replace it. Book time is probably in the 1 hour range for racking the car and such.

B
We have worked with amateur and professional drivers for over 26 years. In house machinist, In house fabrication. Our cars, our parts, our engines, our transmission's run nationwide at events every weekend. We work side by side with industry names developing parts.
Brad Roberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 08:39 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Roberts
BULLS*T

The retail price in the USA for the CaymanS mount (the one you want is $178 give or take a few dollars) It takes 20min for an experienced wrench to replace it. Book time is probably in the 1 hour range for racking the car and such.
B
What makes the mount from the Cayman better than what comes in the Boxster?
And will it fit the 97 to 99's?

BC.

'98 Silver Boxster, '08 Ducati 848, '89 Honda Hawk GT, '89 Honda Pacific Coast
Bladecutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 12:25 AM   #6

Yes sir

They will fit ALL Boxsters (except maybe the new DFI cars) Porsche realized their was a problem and changed the mount design. Externally it is nearly identical. As for bolting to the Boxster engine blocks (all of them) it is identical. Uses the same hardware.. blah blah.. Also: The Cayman's ship with a min. of 300hp. They had to beef up the amount of rubber in the Cayman mount to deal with the extra torque and HP being generated with the 3.4.

Want to know if your engine mount is broken? Have a friend watch your car from behind as you "briskly" drive away. Have them watch the muffler tip. It will dip away from the bumper cutout BIG TIME as the front of the engine raises in the mount and lowers the tip.

My favorite past time? Watching Boxster's pull away from me while sitting on the hot pit wall at XYZ race track counting how many Boxster's have broken engine mounts.. then pointing out to other people the muffler tip drop (Yes, I'm easily entertained.

Unless you replaced it recently.. your mount is broken also.

B
We have worked with amateur and professional drivers for over 26 years. In house machinist, In house fabrication. Our cars, our parts, our engines, our transmission's run nationwide at events every weekend. We work side by side with industry names developing parts.
Old 06-18-2009, 06:41 AM   #7

Quote:
BULLS*T

ALL of the stock engine mounts in the cars are broken. I have documented over 50 at this point and I stopped looking and telling people about it several months ago.

B

Now wait Brad. You are NOT saying that Porsche has another design problem and is trying to blame its customers????

Candidly, I have never seen a modern day engine break a motor mount. We used to do this all the time in the bad old days, when we would put a ridiculously big engine in a small car and kind of tape it in with a make shift mount.

Seriously, I don't see it. My Lexus SC400 had bad motor mounts at 213K miles and it was 15 years old.

Otherwise, I agree, this is totaly BS on the part of Stuttgart.

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 10:11 AM   #8

Not sure if you'd consider them modern - but it's a common problem on V-6 Ford Contours. There was a company that sold urethane inserts that I put into the mount on my SVT Contour to firm things up. Then again, the Ford Duratec V-6 was originally a Porsche design, so maybe it's still Porsche's fault.

-james

'01 Boxster S, 51k miles
'05 Mazda 6 Grand Touring Wagon
yimmy149 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 11:03 AM   #9

Quote:
Seriously, I don't see it.
Then start working on Boxsters.. I have a collection of bad mounts. I use them to hold tarps covering cars.

I have not seen a good mount yet.. and I talk with shop owners all around the USA who work on these cars.. and they are seeing ALL of them bad also.

Seriously. I deal with upwards of 40 different shops a month + 8-10 factory dealer techs at high volume dealers. ALL of them are telling and showing me the same broken parts I showed above

B
Old 06-18-2009, 06:15 PM   #10

The mount on my 00 S was sheared just like those in Brad's pictures. This was last summer during my 30K service. At that time the car was 8 years old with 30,000 very easy miles on it and the mount was broken. I bought the replacement part from my local dealership and installed it myself in the driveway. Took 2 hours start to finish following "Pedro's DIY".
past: 2010 Boxster S
turbo23dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 01:42 PM   #11

Turbo..

we are having a meet and greet at VIR for the PCA weekend.. next weekend

Check BoxsterSpec.com for more info!

B
Old 06-19-2009, 02:16 PM   #12

Quote:
Turbo..

we are having a meet and greet at VIR for the PCA weekend.. next weekend

Check BoxsterSpec.com for more info!

B
Brad, You need to call me. 630-453-0834 and/or (whichever one I answer) 630-450-2098

Sammy

Last edited by Sammy; 06-19-2009 at 02:18 PM.
Sammy is offline   Reply With Quote