Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-15-2009, 10:28 AM   #1

Intake for 3.4L Conversion

I've done a 3.4L conversion on my 2000 Boxster and I need some help with the intake. Specifically how to get a valid signal from the MAF. I dyno'd my car and it is running as rich as 10:1 at high RPM's which is way too rich.

Has anyone successfully fabricated a MAF housing that matches the diameter of the 3.4 996? Right now I have the Boxster airbox, then a 90 degree elbow, the MAF housing cut from a 996 airbox, a straight tube then another 90 elbow into the throttle body.

I've since realized that putting the MAF right after a 90 elbow is bad - the turbulence of turning turning the corner will prevent a valid reading. My next thing to try is to move the MAF housing away from the elbow but I'm afraid that this isn't room to move it far enough away.

TTP has a 3.4 in a Boxster Airbox with the properly sized MAF housing (http://www.t-t-p.de/english/airbox.php) but they want $1500 for it. That seems a bit much.

How have others solved the MAF issue?

Thanks!
George

galtenbaugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 08:37 PM   #2

I am at that same point also. I am just trying to locate a maf housing for a 996 and then go from there. Right now I am just using the stock intake pipe and i cut the maf housing off of the stock box and ran a 3" diameter pipe with a cone filter for right now. Not the best but seems to be working ok. I would love that air box from ttp but wo too much cash for a filter box.
Ebay Headers, Fabspeed high flow cats, JIC Cross, IPD Plenum, H&R Coilovers, B&M Short Shifter, AEM Uego Gauge Type Analog, Apexi S-AFC Select, 987 air box, Litronics, 2000 Tails and side markers, painted center console, 18" 987 S-Wheels, GT3 Front bumper with splitter.
JAAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 11:40 AM   #3

I had this same issue when they tried to put a 3.2L housing on my 3.6L conversion and it ran like poop. They then called fabspeed to custom make me an intake with the MAF housing the size of a 996 and the rest to fit the boxster. They tried to fabricate a whole 996 intake to fit but couldnt do it, i think Todd is the only one to do that. After i got it the car screamed and ran much better and it was super loud I dont have my recipet on me but i think the custom intake was around $400 and about $300 for the install. That is a must to do when using one of these 3.4/3.6 conversions to get the full potential. Now all I need is Caymen S headers (i'm using aftermarket 3.2, yes i know its restricting the 3.6).
BoxsterLewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 12:06 PM   #4

If I just get the maf housing there is no big issue at all. Help me find one
Ebay Headers, Fabspeed high flow cats, JIC Cross, IPD Plenum, H&R Coilovers, B&M Short Shifter, AEM Uego Gauge Type Analog, Apexi S-AFC Select, 987 air box, Litronics, 2000 Tails and side markers, painted center console, 18" 987 S-Wheels, GT3 Front bumper with splitter.
Old 06-16-2009, 12:08 PM   #5

Try my shop, i think they have left overs. They are called Autometrics located in Charleston, SC. Tell them Lewis referred you
Old 06-19-2009, 12:30 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxsterLewis
I had this same issue when they tried to put a 3.2L housing on my 3.6L conversion and it ran like poop. They then called fabspeed to custom make me an intake with the MAF housing the size of a 996 and the rest to fit the boxster. They tried to fabricate a whole 996 intake to fit but couldnt do it, i think Todd is the only one to do that. After i got it the car screamed and ran much better and it was super loud I dont have my recipet on me but i think the custom intake was around $400 and about $300 for the install. That is a must to do when using one of these 3.4/3.6 conversions to get the full potential. Now all I need is Caymen S headers (i'm using aftermarket 3.2, yes i know its restricting the 3.6).
Do you remember who you worked with at Fabspeed? It seems like all we need is the enclosure to keep the hot air out, a cone filter, the 85mm MAF housing, and a suitable pipe or tube to get to the throttle body.

I have a MAF housing that I cut from a 996 airbox but I'm afraid that it isn't quite long enough on either side of the maf to get a good reading.

Does anyone know of a good source for the enclosure to put the filter in and an 85mm MAF housing. The rest should be pretty easy.

George
galtenbaugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 10:50 PM   #7

Don't use this one. The owner complained of the engine not pulling past 6500. I pulled the engine cover off and nearly I had some firm words for him regarding the HOT AIR INTAKE.. not sure who made this one.. but I'd love to chat with them face to face with some real engineering information on how sucking HOT AIR from the bottom of the engine cover makes LESS HP

Who comes up with this ********************??

B
We have worked with amateur and professional drivers for over 26 years. In house machinist, In house fabrication. Our cars, our parts, our engines, our transmission's run nationwide at events every weekend. We work side by side with industry names developing parts.
Brad Roberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 10:56 PM   #8

Quote:
Now all I need is Caymen S headers

I suggest you do some more homework Find somebody with a RUF CaymanS and have them read off the part number for the headers they use. I think you will be surprised at what you find. It is a factory number for a Porsche, and tube diameter is MUCH bigger than the stock CaymanS. RUF noticed quickly what a lot of people noticed. Porsche dumbed down the CaymanS with small tube headers and gave the LARGE tube headers to another Porsche. Direct bolt on. Pass smog.. blah blah.

Need something that flow's like gang busters and passes smog? Look no further than the Porsche parts catalog

B
We have worked with amateur and professional drivers for over 26 years. In house machinist, In house fabrication. Our cars, our parts, our engines, our transmission's run nationwide at events every weekend. We work side by side with industry names developing parts.
Brad Roberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 07:53 AM   #9

Oh really?? I'm pretty sure i am losing chinks of hp with the aftermarket 3.2 diameter. Brad do you know where you can find a set of those? The car still screams now but im sure it will scream even more with those headers you mentioned!
Old 06-23-2009, 07:56 AM   #10
Engine Surgeon

Gotta love those hot air intakes!!! every 10 degrees of intake air temperature elevation results in 1% less power.. And the real kicker is the stock DME will only compensate to a certain temperature before looking to a different internal map..
Jake Raby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 10:55 AM   #11

"TTP has a 3.4 in a Boxster Airbox with the properly sized MAF housing (http://www.t-t-p.de/english/airbox.php) but they want $1500 for it. That seems a bit much."

I have the TTP intake and like it, but it is a very strange beast. It has a carbon fiber airbox, no idea why that is necessary, but it looks cool. It also has a very well CNC machined aluminum MAF sensor and filter element holder. But then the TTP intake kits come with large diameter flex hosing to link to the engine, cheezy at best, and almost a joke for the price. I got my indy shop to fab a custom connection from the MAF and intake box that works very well.

Ed

2000 2.7L Boxster 102K; TTP intake, headers, high-flow cats; Dansk high-flow muffler; Autothority ECU chip; TechnoTorque 2; Bilstein coilovers; Racing Dynamics strut brace; stress-bar suspension kit; Aasco lightweight flywheel, B&M short shiftkit; 18" wheels; spare tire delete; OEM GT3 seats; JL audio speakers and subwoofer; Alpine PDX-5/PDX-2 amps; Kenwood DNX8120 CD/DVD/Nav; litronics, deambered
edevlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 03:36 PM   #12

Anyone know what headers Brad is referring to above?
tightbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 04:21 PM   #13
Engine Surgeon

Other intake developments are being tested as we speak.... Developed by the same team that is solving the M96 issues.

Wait till you see the data I have collected... Long story short, installing 3 IAT sensors in the intake stream on different arrangements really gives a "thorough understanding".
Jake Raby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 07:24 PM   #14

Ghetto fix for the issue at hand. I finally got a hold of a 996 air box. Parts Heaven was nice enough to give me a great deal on one. Here is a photo of the before.

Nothing good can come of this. Yes that is a dremel in the back round.

This is what it looked like after I did what I had to do.

I cleaned it up with a file and the dremel and here are the the two side by side. Boxster on the left with the MAF still in it and the 996 on the right.

I mated this up to the stock intake pipe. I do not have a photo of this in the car but it looks stock. You can match this up to a cold/hot air intake or the stock box with some silicone reducers. TTP can kiss my butt. LOL They do make a nice intake with the carbon fiber and all that but 1500... Come on. I am going to drive it tomorrow and see if there is a difference. I know not the prettiest job but cheaper than ttp and cheaper than getting a cayman mass air housing.
Old 07-09-2009, 07:53 AM   #15

Nice work JAY. After i got my car back with the right 996 housing it made the wooorld of difference. Much smoother, more powerful, louder, etc. I think you will like it Now all i need is bigger headers!
Old 07-09-2009, 08:01 AM   #16

I may drive it later on tonight if I get the chance after work. I have turbo werx headers and the ghl on the car now. I still cant get my butterfly to work though. I think my solenoid is shot. It is wired correctly and vaccum is correct. But I still cant get it to close at idle. I'll write again after I drive it and see how it feels with the new maf houseing.
Old 07-09-2009, 08:23 AM   #17

What do you mean butterfly? Do you have the Variocam that kicks in at like 3K and 5K rpms?
Also how much were those headers and where did you get them from>?