Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-19-2009, 03:04 PM   #21

Nothing, nada.. just seems like a little bit of grease/lube? under the hard black matt beneath the carpet.

PlayersExpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 05:22 AM   #22

Garage
Is your car Tip or manual? There is a fuse that you need to pull while bleeding it if its tip.
2011 Mercedes Benz GLK350 - Gunmetal Grey
ramo80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 10:46 AM   #23

The car is tip... and im still trying to figure out where the leak is coming from. Im somewhat strapped for cash so bringing it into my local stealership or and indy isnt exactly feasible or practical at this time for me.

Last edited by PlayersExpress; 06-23-2009 at 08:48 AM.
Old 06-23-2009, 07:29 AM   #24

Garage
i still think its a bubble in your system unless the water pump is busted

follow the bleeding steps here and don't forget to pull the fuse he's talking about

http://www.pedrosgarage.com/Site%203/Install%203rd%20Radiator%20%26%20Coolant-System%20Bleeding%20Instructions.html
2011 Mercedes Benz GLK350 - Gunmetal Grey
ramo80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 08:53 AM   #25

hmmm... ill try the fuse, the waterpump is 1 year old from the stealership so i highly doubt its that. So you think the leak could be from that extra valve since mines tip???
Old 07-11-2009, 11:03 AM   #26

Brad Roberts wrote:

>> 10. Let it idle again
>> 11. Repeat step 9
>> 12. Let it idle again
>> 13. Repeat step 9
>> 14. Let it idle
>> 20. Drive around a few days with the steel wire to the coolant expansion cap in the UP position.
>> 21. Keep checking the level while the wire is in the up position.
>>
>> Side note: we run with the wire UP everywhere ALL the time.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A few questions on this.

How long should it idle between revs ?

Any down sides to running with wire up all the time? Why wouldn't you want to do this?

thanks much
lizBox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 01:25 AM   #27

I Just had a similar problem and had to take it to the shop. Found out that there was indeed a bubble in my system. The had to vacuum the system out twice. The first time they thought it was done but when they took it for a ride, the engine light would flash and coolant was gone. They vacuum again and it finally worked! They also had to replace my coolant cap because it wasn't holding enough pressure they say.

Here's my story before this all began. I noticed the engine light flashing and top it off with coolant and it would go away..humm strange I thought. Then after several weeks of being normal, the engine light flashed again. I topped off again but this time almost the whole coolant bottle. The next day driving, my engine light flashed and I pulled over and looked inside my trunk. The coolant cap was spraying coolant around up inside my trunk. The carpet was not wet inside but I noticed coolant was dripping where you saw your drip as well. However, my was not as much as yours. I also noticed on the rear bumper that there was a bunch of water spots that was not noticeable until it was pointed out to me by the shop that the coolant was spraying from the cap and just dripping down and being kicked up by the wind when I was driving. Check your bumper (wipe it clean and see if you noticed any hard water spots). if you see the same as what I describe than hopefully your situation is like mine. The shop was worried that it may be a warning sign that I might have cracked one of my cylinder head but in the end it was like I stated above...just air bubble and cap problem. I would suggest you also buy a new coolant cap and bleed the system for bubble. Also make sure that there is no leak/break in the coolant container. Hope that helps. The total cost was $300. It was well worth it from me since time is essential but more importantly I know what to do the next time. If you're getting frustrated find a local independent (reliable) shop to have then do it. Hope that helps.

kluver is offline   Reply With Quote