Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-03-2009, 05:24 PM   #1

wheels and caps Replica Alloy Wheels

how strong r they? looking for a set for autox......

udontknowjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 09:27 AM   #2

Why don't you buy a used set of OEM wheels? They're probably be the same price or cheaper than to buy new replicas.
ekam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 10:41 AM   #3
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
blinkwatt bought replicas from them, and he seems to like them. I am not sure about their strength for autocross, but they do come with a lifetime structural guarantee.
Old 05-04-2009, 12:02 PM   #4

Send a message via AIM to blinkwatt
Yeah I've got a set. There are fine. Same ones Wheel Dynamics or whoever in SoCal sells the replicas.

I don't drive my Boxster everyday and have only put 10k on the wheels so far but they have been fine.
Old 05-05-2009, 08:16 AM   #5

i have 17' option wheel...anybody know how much they weight?

i been looking at ebay...used take off wheel are expense....
Old 05-05-2009, 09:13 AM   #6

I got Carrera Lightweight replicas from Wheel Dynamics and during my last tire install, the guys at RUF said all four replicas are bent. That's after perhaps 25k miles of daily driving and two track weekends. Not saying the OEM would have been pristine given the same conditions, but it's a data point to do with as you please.
Old 05-05-2009, 01:02 PM   #7

wow all 4 are bent....thats deal breaker....trying get a set of autox/track duty wheel....need something strong doesnt bent easy....thanx
Old 05-06-2009, 05:50 PM   #8

I've tried "cheap," aftermarket replica wheels in the past, and I wouldn't do it again. They are heavier, not as strong, and not finished to the same level as factory wheels. Factory Porsche wheels are very good, and unless you're going with something from RUF, BBS, Fikse, or equivalent, I would stick with factory. If it's for track days, look for a set of straight and true used factory wheels- they don't have to be cosmetically perfect, obviously.
Old 05-08-2009, 03:58 AM   #9

http://www.finishlinewheels.com/

Has anyone heard of these guys: http://www.finishlinewheels.com/ ??? It looks like they sell OEMs for dirt cheap !
joee76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 05:36 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by joee76
Has anyone heard of these guys: http://www.finishlinewheels.com/ ??? It looks like they sell OEMs for dirt cheap !

All I saw were Italian replica wheels, maybe I missed something? At the recent Hershey swap meet I visited the Wheel Collision Center booth. For the east coast guys they are located in Bath PA which is next to Allentown. Check out their site for repair and decent prices on OEM wheels.

www.wheelcollision.com email: wccpa@erols.com

I believe you they have wheels for all cars and I am considering them for some cosmetic repair on my 17" rims.

AKL
Allen K. Littlefield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 12:23 AM   #11

I have the same see. I've verified using a dial indicator and they were all well within factory spec. How much were they bent by? What was the run-out?

I check and post on this after I rack up the miles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by timothy
I got Carrera Lightweight replicas from Wheel Dynamics and during my last tire install, the guys at RUF said all four replicas are bent. That's after perhaps 25k miles of daily driving and two track weekends. Not saying the OEM would have been pristine given the same conditions, but it's a data point to do with as you please.
turbobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 06:29 AM   #12
FTD

I have a set of 17" oem wheels that I use for track. They don't look real pretty, but they do the trick. I had a tire professional check them and put tires on them and he said they were in good shape - not out of round. I have Nexxens on them with plenty of tread left. These aren't sticky tires, they are more of an inexpensive option for getting out and having fun and not wearing out the other more expensive wheels and tires that I use for street.

I am interested in getting rid of these wheels. Laying low and cutting out track days to reduce wear on the car due to employment situation.

If interested, PM me and I will put together some pics and a price. I'm in north Atlanta / Alpharetta, GA.

I also have two wall mount tire hangers from Griot's Garage that I never installed, if someone is interested in getting their spare tires off the floor and nicely organized on the wall. This link is the 13". I will have to measure what I have but they are longer and one post holds two tires.

wall mount hanger

Last edited by FTD; 05-15-2009 at 06:38 AM.
FTD is offline   Reply With Quote