Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-12-2009, 06:22 PM   #1

Newbie with minor problem

Hey, everyone - new to this site and fairly new to Porsche ownership with a lot to learn. I have a 2002 Boxster, 60k, black and tan, that looks and runs perfectly. The problem is a metallic clunking or cracking sound when turning at low speed over small bumps. For example, I have a small lip where my drive meets the street. Every morning I back down the drive,turn the wheel to back into the street and am greeted by this noise as my tires step down that little bump. This noise does not occur if moving straight forward, at any speed. No other noises, no steering problems, solid ride. Mechanic suspected lower ball joints so I replaced lower control arms - no change. I have always suspected strut bearings or mounts, since the noise is related to turning. but hate to invest the time and money to experiment. Any suggestions or experience with this would be appreciated as I am not getting any definite answers from the pay-as-you-go experts.

cole9900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 06:26 PM   #2

I would jack up the front of the car. Both sides on jack stands so the front is free from the ground and any tension. Then move stuff around lift the wheels turn the wheels the steering and all that. Probably something needs some lube or somthing. ??
Good Luck
Ebay Headers, Fabspeed high flow cats, JIC Cross, IPD Plenum, H&R Coilovers, B&M Short Shifter, AEM Uego Gauge Type Analog, Apexi S-AFC Select, 987 air box, Litronics, 2000 Tails and side markers, painted center console, 18" 987 S-Wheels, GT3 Front bumper with splitter.
JAAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 05:25 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by cole9900
Hey, everyone - new to this site and fairly new to Porsche ownership with a lot to learn. I have a 2002 Boxster, 60k, black and tan, that looks and runs perfectly. The problem is a metallic clunking or cracking sound when turning at low speed over small bumps. For example, I have a small lip where my drive meets the street. Every morning I back down the drive,turn the wheel to back into the street and am greeted by this noise as my tires step down that little bump. This noise does not occur if moving straight forward, at any speed. No other noises, no steering problems, solid ride. Mechanic suspected lower ball joints so I replaced lower control arms - no change. I have always suspected strut bearings or mounts, since the noise is related to turning. but hate to invest the time and money to experiment. Any suggestions or experience with this would be appreciated as I am not getting any definite answers from the pay-as-you-go experts.

My parents are in a new subdivision and I can't get into there driveway with the little bump in fear of scraping the bottom of the front bumper....I never liked how they put those in.
myfirstporsche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 06:57 PM   #4

I really obsessed about every little noise when I first owned my Boxster. I don't mean this as mean as much as I totally identify with how you feel or what you're thinking right now.

After five years of ownership, I ignore all squeaks, rattles and noises until they grow so friggin' loud that any village idiot who turns a wrench can hear the problem and see it too and it gets fixed the first time.

It's a lot easier to own our cars with this mindset. If it ain't smoking or parts aren't dragging on the ground, drive it like you stole it or just treat it like a preowned car you bought to drive to work.

... just wash and wax it a lot more because it's a Porsche

RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote