Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-08-2005, 01:31 PM   #1
Crazed P-Car enthusiast

Aluminum gauge bezels...

Hi. I've just purchased these aftermarket aluminum bezels to surround my gauges, but I'm not sure what's the best method for affixing them. In the past (on a different car) I've used a little black silicon and while this has worked, it's kin da messy, and seems amateurish....is there a better, cleanes substance? BTW they don't just snap on. Thanks in advance.

Old 02-08-2005, 02:04 PM   #2

I believe many people affix these with superglue.
jwocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2005, 03:46 PM   #3

Any instructions with the bezels? I am with the superglue idea.
Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2005, 11:13 PM   #4
Crazed P-Car enthusiast

Nope, this set is sans instuctions. I guess they figure I'm smart enough to figure this out myself...boy are they dumb...wait...nevermind...but won't superglue eat into the plastic bezels already there?
Old 02-09-2005, 05:37 AM   #5

You can probably use just about anything. It’s an interior trim piece that just needs to hang on. I would try using as low tack of an adhesive as possible. Something with the tack of 3M-77 will probably work pretty well. I use 77 for lots of things. On plastics and fiberglass it is fairly repositionable so if you get sick of the new look, you can just pull it off. This is a spray, so I leave figuring out how you would apply it up to you.

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/productdetail.jsp?xi=xi&ItemId=1613504567&ccitem=
Old 02-09-2005, 08:39 AM   #6
Crazed P-Car enthusiast

Thanks for the advice and the link, Q! Very helpful. This may solve my dillema...dilemma? Spelling 'dilemmea' is a dillemmea.
Old 02-09-2005, 10:27 AM   #7

Sure thing. I guess I would mask off everything but the area on the inside of the new rings, then hit it with a layer of the spray. Then remove the mask. Make sure you read the instructions if you use the 77. You actually need to let it set for a bit after you spray it and before you try to stick it to something. Also, if you have kids or a dog or something, make sure you keep it out of reach, as it can dangerous.

There are various tacks, like I think 75 is more like post-it note stuff, and there is a 90 that is very very sticky.

Word of Caution: This is a spray, so it will go everywhere when you spray it, anything it touches will become sticky!!! Be careful. Also, before you start, shake the can until your hand goes numb, then switch hands and shake it some more.
Old 02-09-2005, 11:19 AM   #8

Unless the spray requires that both the sending and receiving surface be sprayed, I'd say do NOT spray the instrument cluster. You do not want any glue to get into the needle bases or you'll be replacing a $1200.00 cluster! I'd just spray the backs of the faces, let it set up for as long as the directions suggest and then apply them.

I have discovered a couple of things via the web and by toying with my old cluster that I've torn down a couple of times on this issue:

1. Using a plastic fork to pry off the needles is not a bad way to go. Make a careful note as to where the gauges are on each dial and which ones go where BEFORE you remove them.

2. Remove the existing gauges versus sticking your new ones over the old. Sometimes, the glue used for affixing the old can be used for the new if it's nice and sticky.

3. One of my guage faces on my new cluster was replaced to turn it into a manual from a tip cluster and the person who sold it to me modified it before shipping... they did not get the face fully flush with the BOTTOM of the cluster and at night with the dash lights on I see a crack of light. Grrrr!

Very cheezy looking. Make sure to get the faces as far to the bottom of the cluster as possible as you will not be looking up at the cluster, but down at it. Hope this description makes sense.

Oh yes, where did you get them and how much did you pay? I'm always on the prowl for an excellent deal on some white or stainless gauge faces for my old boxster...

Last edited by RandallNeighbour; 02-09-2005 at 11:33 AM.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2005, 02:21 PM   #9

I don’t think we are talking about the same thing?!? I assumed IceBox was talking about the rings that surround the faces, and not the faces themselves. Oh yea if talking about the faces, then I agree big time with you. I have no idea how to install those and I would not even think about trying to spay anything inside the car. Man that would be a disaster.

Even though I think we were talking about different stuff, yes I agree 100% on one thing. Only spray the inside of the new rings and do it as far from your car and anything else that you care about as possible.

I was talking about this

and NOT this

Sorry about any confusion. IBox, which is it?

Last edited by QporscheQ; 02-09-2005 at 02:24 PM.
QporscheQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2005, 03:18 PM   #10

If it is the trim overlay rings then do not use super glue.

I have see 2 reports from owners doing this while the instrument cluster was still in the car and the runny glue leaked onto the clear plastic lenses.
Tool Pants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2005, 06:27 PM   #11
Crazed P-Car enthusiast

Just to clarify: I'm talking about the rings that surround the gauges. That said, the info regarding swapping the faces is also very helpful as I'm thinking of doing that soon also, so now I won't have to ask about that. :dance:
Old 02-09-2005, 06:28 PM   #12

Sorry, my mistake! I could have sworn he wrote gauge faces, not gauge surrounds... I need a nap and then a cup of very strong Starbucks coffee to get back on track!

I have heard that many use some thin double sided tape to affix them, but I have no idea how well that holds up over time or in a very hot and humid climate like the one in which I live.

Glue sounds scary. Toolpants, you always shed light on things many do not consider before totally screwing up parts of their cars!

Last edited by RandallNeighbour; 02-10-2005 at 06:22 AM.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote