Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-22-2009, 05:25 PM   #1

Fuel Pump Wiring

I have a question:

On a 2002 Boxster S, where is the routing for the fuel pump, meaning where does the wiring from the pump enter the cabin? And does it go straight to the pump relay?

My car lost a lot of power, then quickly stalled and won't start. As it happened, it gave a few codes that said it was extremely lean.

I don't seem to hear the fuel pump come on when the key is turned, and I hooked up a fuel pressure gauge to the plug on the fuel rail, and it doesn't move the gauge at all. I know the relay is good, along with the fuse. I did the relay bypass recommended in the manual, and that didn't change anything.

So I am thinking that the fuel pump might have electrically went-out. I don't know if it could be a wiring problem, so I wanted to trace the wiring. I will probably remove the battery tomorrow, and seeing if it is getting power.

Any ideas?
Thanks,

cheetah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 05:34 PM   #2
Porsche "Purist"

Garage
The next thing is to check for 12v at the pump so you are on the right track. If you have 12V, pull the plug and check the resistance of the pump to see if it's open.
Owned and repaired Porsches since 1974. Porsche: It's not driving, it's therapy.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 03:54 AM   #3

Fuel Pump is dead. I put 12V on it, and nothing. I am surprised it went out at 70K. That seems a little early for any car, especially ours.

Oh well, a few days, and I will be back up.
Old 03-26-2009, 03:58 PM   #4

It was the Fuel Pump. The old one didn't respond at all to 12V. Put a new pump in from Sunset, and a few seconds later, started right up. Constant 55 or so psi. I will look at the old one once it dries to see and see the culprit. Only 70K on the car, it is very surprising that it failed this quickly.