Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-02-2005, 09:50 AM   #1

After mount a PCM in a Porsche Boxster from 1997

I have a Boxster 97' and would like to install the PCM, my local Porsche dealer has been trying around the clock to make this work. They have been trying for 17 hours, the thing is that the system, shows some streets and adresses but it doesn't understand when the car is moving/driving. The problem must be between the PCM and the Boxsters computer. I have heard that the issue is the cable that connects these two things. Does anyone know how to make this work, your oppinion would be regarded with much joy.

BTW: I am aware that Porsche writes that the system is only for installation in cars from 08/02 but I we want to make this work :-)

Best
Soren / Denmark

poundfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2005, 12:15 PM   #2

It probably would have been cheaper and easier to go aftermarket. I'm looking at the Eclipse double DIN unit for CD/MP3/Radio/DVD/Navigation and it has a 20 gig hard drive for MP3s at a street price of about $2000. Plus it's not a flip out unit, so a good shop should be able to fab a surround that will make a factory look.

Probably doesn't help you since you're already into it for some time and probably some expense.
BuffaloBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2005, 02:11 PM   #3

I installed a GPS system (Traffic Pro) into my boxster and may be able to help you out a bit. Its been a while, but let me see if I remember.

There is definately a wire that is hooked into my TP that indicates whether the car is moving foward or backwards. That wire connects under the driver seat, but from what you're describing, I don't think thats your problem.

There is a speed sending wire that was in my wiring harness that needed to be connected to the TP. I think that is where your problem may be.

I know the 2 units are different, but the concepts are the same. the GPS unit needs an antenna (which I hope they knew to install because if they didn't do that, please get your car out of that shop. They don't know what they're doing), and obviously the computer unit. My GPS does not hook into the computer of the car. It doesn't need to and should not need to. I don't know exactly what the speed sending wire tells the GPS because it can easily find out what speed you're traveling via the actual GPS signal, but its the nearest guess.

Be aware, I am making the assumption that they have installed the antenna and have wired it to the PCM unit. Oh, one more important thing. When I first installed the GPS, I had it outside under the sky to get the GPS to track onto the satellites. It took forever because there was sparse tree coverage. In fact, it never did track. I had to drive the car out to a VERY OPEN space before it was able to get enough satellites to start tracking. This procedure could take up to 10 minutes.

Hope this helps. If not, perhaps you can describe the problem in a bit more detail.

JBG
JonnyBGood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2005, 11:14 PM   #4

08/02 is the date for PCM2, which is the MOST fiber optic system used on model years 2003/4. If you are trying to get PCM2 to work on a 1997 that was designed for PCM1 then good luck....

Tool Pants is offline   Reply With Quote