View Single Post
Old 02-02-2005, 02:11 PM   #3
JonnyBGood

I installed a GPS system (Traffic Pro) into my boxster and may be able to help you out a bit. Its been a while, but let me see if I remember.

There is definately a wire that is hooked into my TP that indicates whether the car is moving foward or backwards. That wire connects under the driver seat, but from what you're describing, I don't think thats your problem.

There is a speed sending wire that was in my wiring harness that needed to be connected to the TP. I think that is where your problem may be.

I know the 2 units are different, but the concepts are the same. the GPS unit needs an antenna (which I hope they knew to install because if they didn't do that, please get your car out of that shop. They don't know what they're doing), and obviously the computer unit. My GPS does not hook into the computer of the car. It doesn't need to and should not need to. I don't know exactly what the speed sending wire tells the GPS because it can easily find out what speed you're traveling via the actual GPS signal, but its the nearest guess.

Be aware, I am making the assumption that they have installed the antenna and have wired it to the PCM unit. Oh, one more important thing. When I first installed the GPS, I had it outside under the sky to get the GPS to track onto the satellites. It took forever because there was sparse tree coverage. In fact, it never did track. I had to drive the car out to a VERY OPEN space before it was able to get enough satellites to start tracking. This procedure could take up to 10 minutes.

Hope this helps. If not, perhaps you can describe the problem in a bit more detail.

JBG
JonnyBGood is offline   Reply With Quote