Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-27-2009, 04:39 PM   #1

Air flow

I have a 98 boxster and im going to make some improvments to it. Im going to give it a cold air intake that replaces the airbox and filter but thats about a I know what to do. Does any one have any suggestions on how to increase airflow?

Michael

Boxster_luver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 04:54 PM   #2

The search button is your friend. Try it, you'll like it.
Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 05:41 PM   #3
JMP

Reply to Adam

Dear Sir, when a person ask's a serious question and all you have to add is "use the search button" I think this is being dis-respectful to the person asking the question. If he is able to type a message and post it on a Forum then I am sure that he can also use a search button. I hope that you need help some day and some smart a** gives you the same kind of answer that you gave. People like you make me sick!
JMP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 05:51 PM   #4

JMP, Adam's done a LOT of posting on this forum... look at his posting count. This subject has been covered a dozen (or more) times in very detailed ways that don't need to be rehashed....

Michael, what you're about to do is the best way to improve airflow. It's a pain in the butt though because the old airbox doesn't come out easily and the new one doesn't go in easily. Expect bloody knuckles and frustration from what I have read in the aforementioned threads you should search.

Also, be aware that many cone filter users have found they have ruined their MAF because of the oil in the filter spoiling the sensor upstream... don't over-oil that cone filter (or any aftermarket air filter for that matter).

Try searching on K&N and Cold Intake for more info...
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 06:39 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMP
Dear Sir, when a person ask's a serious question and all you have to add is "use the search button" I think this is being dis-respectful to the person asking the question. If he is able to type a message and post it on a Forum then I am sure that he can also use a search button. I hope that you need help some day and some smart a** gives you the same kind of answer that you gave. People like you make me sick!
I think that's a little strong. Then again, it is Monday...

1999 Porsche Boxster
(gone, but not forgotten)
http://i933.photobucket.com/albums/a...smiley-003.gif

Never drive faster than your Guardian Angel can fly!
Lil bastard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 08:23 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil bastard
I think that's a little strong. Then again, it is Monday...

Yeah, that was a bit rough. You did give the guy good advice. If the topic has been covered ad nauseam, it is better for everyone if the new member reviews the old posts instead of asking everyone to chime in again. It's certainly not disrespectful.

Then again I am thick skinned.
:troll:
bkiersz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 03:30 PM   #7

It's alright, im used to sarcasm. I work with 8 women and no men lol, I can take it.
I'll try and search through the forum next time.

Michael
Old 03-09-2009, 07:30 PM   #8

If you're trying to get sympathy from us, it's working.

Holy cow, 8 women. You're their official whipping boy :ah:
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 02:50 PM   #9

Thats what you get when you work at a vet clinic. It's not too bad though, I meen it pays for my Boxster
Old 03-10-2009, 05:49 PM   #10
JMP

Air Flow

Dear Sir, there is an excellant article on making a very nice new air induction system on this link along with a lot of helpful other DIY projects.
http://www.pedrosgarage.com/Site/DIY%20Projects.html
Maybe this will help some, Jerry
JMP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 09:50 AM   #11

I did this mod and let me tell it is awesome.. makes a different sound too
clb0099 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 06:20 PM   #12

That web site is great, thanks alot! I would like to know the gains of this intake. Do you know how much hp you gained after the intake mod?

Michael
Old 03-11-2009, 06:31 PM   #13

I'm not sure what the dyno numbers are, but I can attest to at least a little gain. The best part of this mod by far is the sound. It sounds absolutely awesome!

All for about $35 worth of parts at Lowes or Home Depot and a couple hours of your time.
releese78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 06:39 PM   #14

Im not so much concerned about the sound but the hp gain because im going to put one hell of an exaust on. Im just wondering if I should buy an evo cold air intake or go with this DIY.
Old 03-11-2009, 07:05 PM   #15

I did this mod last night.. it is very tight quarters by far to work in. I have not noticed any sound difference to be honest but then again.. i didn't drive it as it has no seats in the car i am awaiting to re-finish my seats then i will take it for a drive.....Also i am having a friend do the muffler mod with the bypass pipes on it like the one on pedro's site.. He has great mods on his site
Old 03-11-2009, 07:07 PM   #16

I couldn't tell in Pedro's post on his website but is the old airbox re-installed or is he using a cone filter? I'm thinking of giving this DIY a try. I've already De-snorkled.
NWI Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 07:14 PM   #17

That is just a stock filter box
Old 03-12-2009, 06:25 AM   #18

You won't notice the sound till you floor it. It gives it that "German Muscle" growl that we all love so dearly. There definitely is a power gain, not huge, but a little something.

As far as conical filters go, I really don't recommend this. Number one, you are forcing air to come in sideways, then curve into the opening. The other is that most of these do not block off hot engine compartment air sufficently.

Most other cars have an issue with increased turbulence because of radiator fans forcing hot air into conical filters, we don't have this problem in Boxsters.

In my muscle car days (used to build drag Mustangs). At the time, we had access to a flow bench and dyno, and tried every different conceivable combination of cold air intake, stock, conical, homemade, etc. Two things seemed to be the common no matter what. Any type of intake tube made of a metal material got hot, so stick to plastics and rubbers. In those cars, my best combo ended up being the stock airbox (silencer removed), K&N, and a PVC tube similar to Pedro's method.

Conicals made less power across the board, dyno proven. Metal intake tubes are not good either.

Our stock airbox in a Boxster actually isn't bad at all as far as flow. I would venture to guess that it flows more CFM than we could ever need even if a turbo was added. The main thing you want to accomplish here is not causing more turbulence and restrictions AFTER the airbox, which Pedro's method takes care of beautifully.

Hope this helps!

releese78 is offline   Reply With Quote