Thread: Air flow
View Single Post
Old 03-12-2009, 06:25 AM   #18
releese78

You won't notice the sound till you floor it. It gives it that "German Muscle" growl that we all love so dearly. There definitely is a power gain, not huge, but a little something.

As far as conical filters go, I really don't recommend this. Number one, you are forcing air to come in sideways, then curve into the opening. The other is that most of these do not block off hot engine compartment air sufficently.

Most other cars have an issue with increased turbulence because of radiator fans forcing hot air into conical filters, we don't have this problem in Boxsters.

In my muscle car days (used to build drag Mustangs). At the time, we had access to a flow bench and dyno, and tried every different conceivable combination of cold air intake, stock, conical, homemade, etc. Two things seemed to be the common no matter what. Any type of intake tube made of a metal material got hot, so stick to plastics and rubbers. In those cars, my best combo ended up being the stock airbox (silencer removed), K&N, and a PVC tube similar to Pedro's method.

Conicals made less power across the board, dyno proven. Metal intake tubes are not good either.

Our stock airbox in a Boxster actually isn't bad at all as far as flow. I would venture to guess that it flows more CFM than we could ever need even if a turbo was added. The main thing you want to accomplish here is not causing more turbulence and restrictions AFTER the airbox, which Pedro's method takes care of beautifully.

Hope this helps!
releese78 is offline   Reply With Quote