Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-27-2009, 11:23 AM   #1

thoughts on my prototype stainless muffler

I am new to this forum some may know from pelicanparts or rennlist but I wanted to come to what I here is the source of boxster info.I have been asked for a while now to build a muffler for a friend of mine's boxster. I am looking for feedback on my proto type . any thoughts? the will be fully polished when finished.oh ands its not the 356 muffler's in the pictures

mb911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 12:15 PM   #2

What kind of input are you looking for? Are you concerned about appearance or function? That design looks very similar to a Stebro brand exhaust. It will be extremely loud, especially just before 3,000 rpm. For appearance, I think it looks a little weird the way the pipes are welded together, but I guess you really won't see that once it is mounted on the car. Make sure those welds holding the pipes together is very strong, because if they are not, the exhaust will begin to rattle over time. You might want to add a set of thicker tips to make it look sharp once mounted. Reference the Fabspeed website to view some different tip styles. On a positive note you should get some great weight savings over the OEM muffler!
achillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 12:30 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by achillian
What kind of input are you looking for? Are you concerned about appearance or function? That design looks very similar to a Stebro brand exhaust. It will be extremely loud, especially just before 3,000 rpm. For appearance, I think it looks a little weird the way the pipes are welded together, but I guess you really won't see that once it is mounted on the car. Make sure those welds holding the pipes together is very strong, because if they are not, the exhaust will begin to rattle over time. You might want to add a set of thicker tips to make it look sharp once mounted. Reference the Fabspeed website to view some different tip styles. On a positive note you should get some great weight savings over the OEM muffler!
any and all. I have heard boxsters with no mufflers before and I though of them as fairly quiet. The weight savings is huge. this setup weighs approx 10lbs and is 321 stainless. This is only tacked as I waitng on the car to do final fittment
Old 02-27-2009, 01:17 PM   #4

What kind of baffling did you put inside the single chamber unit at the top?

The deal with boxster mufflers has always been annoying to downright deafening cabin resonance in the 2-3k rpm range. If you can produce a louder muffler than stock with no cabin resonance, I swear you will become a millionaire overnight if you don't charge people $1500 or more for it.

Oh yeah, you better dyno the car before and after installation with the same atmospheric conditions to ensure you don't lose HP or torque over any part of the bandwidth.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 01:42 PM   #5
Schatten-Baum-Mechaniker

That setup will likely be too loud for most of us as those look to be essentially straight through. If you replaced those with Flowmasters that have chambers and baffeling then they may work for us, but the dreaded "drone" is the hardest thing to work out without testing. Jake Raby at Flat 6 Innovations was looking for some test mufflers so you may want to talk to him.
tommy986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 01:43 PM   #6
Track rat

Garage
Light weight and loud as he**.

Many of the tracks have noise restrictions out here. At Laguna Seca we barely pass with stock pipes Yet Harleys with straight pipes go by me all the time on the freeway. No rhyme or reason to many of the laws here in the golden state.
Old 02-27-2009, 03:35 PM   #7

these are straight through mufflers similar to our track mufflers and some of the custom stuff I do for our engine builder customers The price point is going to be in $500 range in brush finish. but I am not here to sell them just simply get the feedback you are all giving. thanks and keep it up. if you want to see some of my work go to www.mkexhaust.com again though not trying to sell anything yet but doing more research
Old 02-27-2009, 03:36 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandallNeighbour
What kind of baffling did you put inside the single chamber unit at the top?

The deal with boxster mufflers has always been annoying to downright deafening cabin resonance in the 2-3k rpm range. If you can produce a louder muffler than stock with no cabin resonance, I swear you will become a millionaire overnight if you don't charge people $1500 or more for it.

Oh yeah, you better dyno the car before and after installation with the same atmospheric conditions to ensure you don't lose HP or torque over any part of the bandwidth.

thats a 356 muffler that your looking at
Old 02-27-2009, 05:07 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by mb911
I have heard boxsters with no mufflers before and I though of them as fairly quiet.
They're fairly quiet when the ignition is off.
ekam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 01:06 PM   #10

That looks almost identical to my Stebro Race muffler. It will have a more than annoying drone in the cabin from 2K-2800 rpms. Also after time it will rattle things loose inside the car. I recently pulled the exhaust because I couldn't stand it any longer, 5th gear at 65mph was unbearable. I just got used to driving with 4 gears, I've noticed an incredible increase in my gas mileage after going back to stock and using 5th gear again.

I've not given up the exhaust just going to customize it a bit. I'm making baffles for it. It's turned into a bigger job than I had thought but, stock just doesn't cut it...it has no balls.
yellowboxster01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 04:06 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowboxster01
That looks almost identical to my Stebro Race muffler. It will have a more than annoying drone in the cabin from 2K-2800 rpms. Also after time it will rattle things loose inside the car. I recently pulled the exhaust because I couldn't stand it any longer, 5th gear at 65mph was unbearable. I just got used to driving with 4 gears, I've noticed an incredible increase in my gas mileage after going back to stock and using 5th gear again.

I've not given up the exhaust just going to customize it a bit. I'm making baffles for it. It's turned into a bigger job than I had thought but, stock just doesn't cut it...it has no balls.

We just ran it on this 01 and the balance tube gets rid of any drone. turned out really nice I tried uploading pics but no good
Old 03-06-2009, 06:32 PM   #12

Garage
Hey bro, forget the pics...break out a camcorder and record the sound. A couple of passes at power would be nice along with a ride in the car. Don't worry about the looks; if someone wants it chromed, have that as a option. Powder coated? Same way or just sell it raw and let the buyer worry about it. I would hope you would be sub $400 raw.

Thanks for giving us another option when it comes to a muffler.

Last edited by Jaxonalden; 03-06-2009 at 06:37 PM.
Jaxonalden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 09:29 AM   #13

Sorry to be a skeptic, but I don't see how the balance tube would eliminate the drone, especially with straight through mufflers. I had a GHL exhaust which also has a balance tube and it droned quite a bit. The drone is due to the short length of the exhaust path. The only way around it is to create a longer exhaust path, which is essentially what the stock exhaust does, or to incorporate a resonance camber, which would require a lot of R&D.