Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-24-2009, 05:02 PM   #1

Need Help - Suspension

Hey,

I have bought coilovers and strut bars for my boxster. I am having them installed next month. I need help, I'm not sure if I need anything more. My mechanic say's that I don't. I do not plan to track my car. I just want a tight suspension and to improve my handling. I always liked driving lowered cars.

2002 Base Boxster
H&R coilovers - thinking to drop it 2inches.
Schenell Front and Rear Strut bars.
19 inch rims and the rear rim is 10.5 width

Do I need any other parts? Rear toe bars - I don't know anything about these, but have read alot here on the board. But are these only for the track. Do I really need these rear bars for daily driving.

Need help as you can see!

986Roadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 07:11 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 986Roadster
Hey,

I have bought coilovers and strut bars for my boxster. I am having them installed next month. I need help, I'm not sure if I need anything more. My mechanic say's that I don't. I do not plan to track my car. I just want a tight suspension and to improve my handling. I always liked driving lowered cars.

2002 Base Boxster
H&R coilovers - thinking to drop it 2inches.
Schenell Front and Rear Strut bars.
19 inch rims and the rear rim is 10.5 width

Do I need any other parts? Rear toe bars - I don't know anything about these, but have read alot here on the board. But are these only for the track. Do I really need these rear bars for daily driving.

Need help as you can see!
Sounds like a good setup... You may want to consider front and rear sway bars, and a rear lower brace as well.

If you plan to go 2" lower, like you mentioned, you'll most likely be needing a set of rear adjustable toe arms in order to get your alignment for toe back to proper spec. PM me, I have a new set...

Some stuff for sale: M030 S 24mm front sway bar, M030 base 19.6mm rear sway bar, 996 GT3 OEM Porsche Motorsport front strut mounts monoball "camber plates"

WTB: looking for some 5-7mm spacers with extended bolts
chaudanova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 08:37 PM   #3

Send a message via AIM to Christeon
If the car has a lot miles on it I'd replace the wheel bearings, you'll have the rear completely apart already and the bearings themselves are cheap.
Christeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 03:22 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaudanova
Sounds like a good setup... You may want to consider front and rear sway bars, and a rear lower brace as well.

If you plan to go 2" lower, like you mentioned, you'll most likely be needing a set of rear adjustable toe arms in order to get your alignment for toe back to proper spec. PM me, I have a new set...
+1 for front and rear sway bars. As long as you're pushing it, why not go all the way?

+1 for the adjustable toe arms. 2" is a big drop for the Boxster. You have to remember that the Boxster is fairly low in stock form already. With that much drop you'll probably need the toe arms just to get a reasonable alignment in the rear.

One other thing to remember with that 10.5" rim in the back... you may be limited as to how low you can go with those rims. My coilovers have an adjustable collar at the bottom and too low the tires will rub the springs. Raised up a little and the collars will rub the rim. Raised up even more and I've got the collars riding in a little groove just above the lip of the rim.... perfect. But I'm most definitely limited as to where I can set the ride height with 275 mm tires in the rear. A 2" drop in the rear would be impossible with my rims and coilovers.

PS - I've got a lower stress bar if you want one of those.

Kirk
1975 911S Targa - undergoing a full restoration and engine rebuild
Also In The Garage - '66 912, '69 912, '72 914 Chalon wide body, '73 914
Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 03:34 PM   #5

Ah the slippery suspension slope!

I slipped all the way down mine. I replaced the entire suspension to save on labor charges after I bought my Ksport Kontrol Coilovers. I did all four wheel bearings and all the control arms (yup, every single one of them).

I decided to throw $3000 at the car and do it all at once and be done with it for a while.

It was worth it because I'm keeping the car indefinitely and I had 107k on the parts I replaced.

You really need rear adjustable toe arms so your rear tires don't wear out too fast.

The top strut bars and rear lower one will reduce creaking and squeaks from what I read on the forum. I do not have them yet... do you other guys think I should get them?
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 03:58 PM   #6

Hey thanks for all the help... You guy's are amazing!

Does the base 2002 boxster not come stock with sway bars?

I hear you on the 275/10.5 width rubbing on the inside strut. I can barely
put a piece of cardboard through the gap. i had to put a 5mm spacer.

I guess that I can't lower the car 2inches. I will have to see what happens
when the mechanic installs the coilovers.

I will take all of your suggestions, to install rear toe arms.

Thanks for the help. This is exactly what I was looking for.

986Roadster is offline   Reply With Quote