Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-21-2009, 08:01 AM   #1

Girodisc Slotted 2pc Rotors

http://www.girodisc.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=31_60_343&products_id=904

Who's got these on their car? Feedbacks?

I need those rotors, bad.

ekam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 05:04 PM   #2

Those look very nice, but are A LOT of money. It would depend on how much the rotor blanks are for replacement. Because if the discs alone are not expensive then 2-piece rotors are good, but maybe overkill for the street.

-Greg
2009 Triumph Street Triple R - 27K mi - Blazen Orange
1976 Ford F250 camper special - tow vehicle
944boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 06:22 PM   #3
07 Carrera S Cab

Garage
Am I reading this right? You have to get new calipers too, because the rotors are thicker, or are the calipers just pushed out further in position?

Previous: 01 Boxster in Arctic Silver, 86 944 in Guards Red

Last edited by Boxtaboy; 02-21-2009 at 06:28 PM.
Boxtaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 06:08 AM   #4

You don't need new calipers just a spacer to fit the caliper away from the spindle more. You don't need these rotors.... just another ricer trick to lighten your wallet or empower you with bragging rights.
wvicary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 08:56 AM   #5
07 Carrera S Cab

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by wvicary
You don't need new calipers just a spacer to fit the caliper away from the spindle more. You don't need these rotors.... just another ricer trick to lighten your wallet or empower you with bragging rights.
Ah, ok thanks. Who looks so close that they even see the brake rotors on the car anyway? I think their selling point is less unsprung weight than stock brakes, longer rotor disc life, and better stopping power. They look pretty, but I think I'll pass.

Previous: 01 Boxster in Arctic Silver, 86 944 in Guards Red
Boxtaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 06:46 PM   #6

rotors

If these rotors are made properly, and if they are of good quality, then the 2-piece construction should be beneficial on a track car. They are totally unnecessary on a street-driven car, though.

* 9x7 short shifter * Pedro's enthusiast mount * Carrera Ltw. wheels * Stebro bypass pipes
* M030 coming soon! *
Blue-S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 07:07 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue-S
If these rotors are made properly, and if they are of good quality, then the 2-piece construction should be beneficial on a track car. They are totally unnecessary on a street-driven car, though.
For what they cost, you might as go all the way and get a proper BBK. It would be a better bang for the buck. Frankly, I use stock rotors and calipers with track pads and ATE fluid and I've never had braking issues (knock on wood) on the track.
Old 02-23-2009, 03:33 AM   #8

Brembo BBK starts at $3500 and it requires minimum 18"s to clear the caliper.

I'm inquiring RSS to see if this will fit under 17"s (my snows). If so I think this is a mod that's functional and looks good.

Just remember, there's absolutely no law on the street in regards to stopping speed.
ekam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 08:45 PM   #9

Get 18" winters Anyway, for the street, your tires are the biggest inhibitors for better stopping, not the brakes and certainly not the rotors. On the track where consistently repeatable stopping power matters, things like more swept area and mass for cooling matter.

If you just want 2 piece rotors b/c they look cool (nothing wrong with that if you have the money), go with Performance Friction. They only cost $730 or so for the pair unless the aluminum hat of the girodisc is worth $1500 more. Plus, replacement rings for the Performance Friction are only $200 each. The girodisc looks really cool and I'm sure it is high quality, but I can't justify the price.

http://www.ogracing.com/catalog/2-Car/28-Brakes/240-Performance-Friction-Brake-Rotors/242-Porsche/item-1467-PERFORMANCE-FRICTION-DIRECT-DRIVE-ROTORS-PORSCHE-996-997-BOXSTER