Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-23-2005, 08:34 PM   #1

3.6L 996 Engine Swap

So what's the dirt on this? I am newer to Porsche, and I am mulling over some options right now for what I want to do. I've taken into consideration selling my wife's car and giving her the Boxster (because she wants it, of course), and buying a 96-98 F355 Berlinetta, or a 2000+ 996 Carrera...as well as performing the 996 engine swap on the Boxster. Who are the good tuners who can be trusted to perform this conversion? Are there any on the West Coast? Thanks!

Morelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2005, 05:42 AM   #2

If you do a search up top, I think you find older posts that reference this type of swap. My recollection is that it is not a "plug and play" swap, hence it can be very costly indeed.

There is a custom builder who charges I think "over $25K" for the swap. However, they use a Turbo motor and the HP gain is pretty sweet. Beware of the cops when you do this baby. When you do the search, this guy will come up I am sure.

From a cost and re-sale perspective, my conclusion is that the engine swap is an unwise investment. Very expensive and very unlikely you ever get your money back. However, I am talking as a Porche dealer and so I tend to see things from the perpective of valuation and that is a fairly narrow construct.

Used 996s are fairly reasonable these days and when you go to sell it, you don't have to find a "special buyer." This makes the whole process smoother for sure.

Whatever you do, keep us posted and share your experiences.

Thanks for posting

Rich Belloff
Belloff Motor Works, LLC

Last edited by Brucelee; 01-24-2005 at 08:23 AM.
Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2005, 10:27 AM   #3

the swap is actually not all that difficult. it's tricky getting the computer programmed right since there are so many versions. the only really tough part about putting the motor in is the fact that the intake plenums sit higher in the engine bay, so the motor mounts must be lowered 2" to do this. FVD makes a kit.

anyway, you are basically looking at 5-6K plus the cost of your motor (anywhere from 6 to 15k for an e-gas version to match your boxster). 3-4k of this price includes 1500 for the computer programming, 1200 for modified headers (to mate w/ stock exhaust route) and a couple thousand for 'unknowns' like broken injectors, coil packs, etc. on your motor (you buy a used motor, stuff's bound to get broken during removal / shipping).

the result, though, is a pretty serious machine.

http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t...1/KMTGPR-1.jpg
insite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2005, 03:31 PM   #4

Talking

Great info, thanks for helping!
Old 01-24-2005, 05:30 PM   #5

Thanks for the kind responses guys. It didn't take long, but I have all but ruled this one out. There is still a chance, of course...anything is possible, but the resale point is very true. When I was younger, I built a 400hp+ Honda, and lost my ass on it. Literally. I don't want to go down that road again. I'm not sure which way to go, the F355 is within reason, but as a daily driver, the maintenence would kill me. Of course, this leaves me with the 996.

Actually, what is the maintenence like on a 996 turbo?
Old 01-24-2005, 07:01 PM   #6

Thumbs up

Actually, 996 Turbo is a doable deal. The engine has proven to be MORE reliable than the base 996 engine. And, from first hand experience, it is a BLAST to drive. Marginally more expensive to maintain than a regular 911.

Very very nice car, I would highly recommend one, and the resale has held up rather well.
Old 01-24-2005, 07:03 PM   #7

I'm pricing them out right now. I don't want to make the move until the third quarter I think, but I am just doing some prospecting right now...
Old 01-24-2005, 07:08 PM   #8

BTW- I am located in Carlsbad and I deal in pre-owned Porsches. If you want, I can help you find a cherry Turbo. Let me know if I can assist and I will be happy to do so.
Old 01-24-2005, 07:14 PM   #9

Well then, we may just have to rendezvous later this year.

I'll be around the forum, when the time comes, I'll contact you, I'm in Los Angeles.
Old 01-24-2005, 07:30 PM   #10

Sounds good. Thanks for being a forum member!
Old 01-24-2005, 07:41 PM   #11

Thanks for the warm welcome!
Old 01-28-2005, 04:47 AM   #12

Cheap swap

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=7950471337&category=33615
98blackboxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2005, 11:05 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by insite
the swap is actually not all that difficult. it's tricky getting the computer programmed right since there are so many versions. the only really tough part about putting the motor in is the fact that the intake plenums sit higher in the engine bay, so the motor mounts must be lowered 2" to do this. FVD makes a kit.

anyway, you are basically looking at 5-6K plus the cost of your motor (anywhere from 6 to 15k for an e-gas version to match your boxster). 3-4k of this price includes 1500 for the computer programming, 1200 for modified headers (to mate w/ stock exhaust route) and a couple thousand for 'unknowns' like broken injectors, coil packs, etc. on your motor (you buy a used motor, stuff's bound to get broken during removal / shipping).

the result, though, is a pretty serious machine.
I am VERY interested in this swap. We've got a 1998 stock Boxster that we'd like to swap engines. We even have the engine. We found an enthusiastic mechanic before we bought the engine, but then he flaked...

The 5K is about what we expect to finish the job. We just can't find anyone to do it.

Have you actually done one of these swaps successfully with a 996 3.6L engine?

If not, do you know of a reputable shop on the West Coast that has a lot of experience with this conversion?

Please advise.
Thanks!
GTeener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2005, 04:06 PM   #14

Send a message via AIM to Richard Truss
i hate it when boxster owners actually think our "S" brakes are "Big Reds" -- when they are only 996 brakes painted red. Still cool, but certainly not Big Reds.
Old 03-25-2005, 07:39 AM   #15

I recently saw a 2.7 liter engine and transmission on Ebay for sale... the guy stated in his listing that he' s swapped the engine out for a 3.4 liter.

I emailed him through ebay and asked how much the conversion was... ready?

$35,000 bucks! Yikes! I doubt he'll ever get his money back out of that.

Let's see, I could get $18k for my 1997, plus that $35k and have $53k... in two years, with interest, I could own a 987 S with some factory warranty still left on it. Hmmm.

Old Boxster with a wild ride, or very new ride with warranty? Hard decision to make.

Oh yeah... if the converted boxster is wrecked or stolen, you can forget about your insurance company giving you the 35k you dropped into it, right? Yet another strike against this idea from a financial perspective.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2005, 08:04 AM   #16

"$35,000 bucks! Yikes! I doubt he'll ever get his money back out of that."

The chances are almost zero that this "investment" will ever be recouped!

Old 03-25-2005, 05:11 PM   #17

Send a message via AIM to Subanez
Of course, he'll be grinning like a little kid running circles around everyone, and I know that if I had $35,000 to spend, that would be worth it.

Remember, the "wow" factor can cost quite a bit!

"I ran until my muscles burned and my veins pumped battery acid. And then I ran some more." -Fight Club
Subanez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2005, 03:12 PM   #18

I've read somewhere that the 3.6L swap is cheaper and easier to do on the 03/04 boxsters. The 3.4L is better for pre-03's. I think it had something to do with the electronic engine management.
Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2005, 09:52 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morelli
I'm pricing them out right now. I don't want to make the move until the third quarter I think, but I am just doing some prospecting right now...
What about the GT3? It's quite an awesome car without the maintenance hassel of a turbo... It's cheaper anyway than the turbo

clubhead is offline   Reply With Quote