Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-11-2009, 06:41 PM   #1
JMP

Stuck Horn

My Horn on my 99 Boxster is stuck - the horn will blow when I re-insert the fuse for the horn. I can bang on the Horn Button Cover and sometimes this works. Then in just a little while the horn starts blowing again. I have not tried to take the steering wheel cover off yet as I am worried about the air bag, Can anyone advise a fix and if you must dis-connect the battery before taking the steering wheel cover off? Thank you, JMP

JMP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 05:13 AM   #2

There are rubber grommets under the airbag that degrade over time from UV exposure. This is especially bad on the older 4 spoke wheels, which I assume you have on your MY.

1. Disconnect your battery.
2. Drink a beer and wait a half hour to let any residual electricity dissipate in the system.
3. Use a torx driver to remove the two screws behind the wheel (you'll have to turn the wheel both ways to get them out, so keep your key in the ignition).
4. Carefully remove the airbag and disconnect it (a flathead screwdriver will pop off the center connector)
5. There's a metal plate below that with four black grommets on it you should remove.

Now you have a choice to make. Replace that metal bracket (about $80-120 from the parts counter at Sunset in Oregon) or rebuild it yourself with small pieces of an old garden hose. Other guys have done this and it's totally hidden so no one knows you rigged it.

This was the first thing to go out on my car after I got it nearly five years ago except my horn only sounded when I braked hard, making me look like a total prick in traffic.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 09:01 AM   #3

I had the very same thing -every time I braked the horn would go off and I'd have to beat the steering wheel until it stopped. Very embarrasing!

I used black silicone sealant to rebuild the four rubber bushing thingy's about a year ago and it's worked a treat! Saved me about $100 I've even heard of some dealers recommending that the whole steering wheel get replaced!

Hope you know your radio code as I'd definitely disconnect the battery and wait a while before having at it! My dealer almost convinced me to let him do the job with his talk about airbag explosives and such like! Aside from that, I think you'll end up with a check airbag light if the battery is connected.
Paul_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 10:29 AM   #4

JPM, Welcome to the forum. Randall has the right advise.
This is a Quite a common occurrence with our cars. If you want to read more about it there are a few threads about that here and a really good one over on Rentech.com Horn Problem, Horn problem

other threads here on 986forum:

Please HELP! Horn going off on its own

My Car Honks When I Brake!!!

Horn doesnt stop Honkin...

Orlando - 99 BMW M Coupe (autocross toy), '11 Mazdaspeed 3 (dog hauler), '99 10AE Miata (the new daily driver)
kabel is offline   Reply With Quote