Thread: Stuck Horn
View Single Post
Old 01-12-2009, 05:13 AM   #2
RandallNeighbour

There are rubber grommets under the airbag that degrade over time from UV exposure. This is especially bad on the older 4 spoke wheels, which I assume you have on your MY.

1. Disconnect your battery.
2. Drink a beer and wait a half hour to let any residual electricity dissipate in the system.
3. Use a torx driver to remove the two screws behind the wheel (you'll have to turn the wheel both ways to get them out, so keep your key in the ignition).
4. Carefully remove the airbag and disconnect it (a flathead screwdriver will pop off the center connector)
5. There's a metal plate below that with four black grommets on it you should remove.

Now you have a choice to make. Replace that metal bracket (about $80-120 from the parts counter at Sunset in Oregon) or rebuild it yourself with small pieces of an old garden hose. Other guys have done this and it's totally hidden so no one knows you rigged it.

This was the first thing to go out on my car after I got it nearly five years ago except my horn only sounded when I braked hard, making me look like a total prick in traffic.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote